larry

New Mobile Device Style

FYI, I added a new style for mobile devices so the forum should be a easier read if you are using your phone.

Ahh, I just saw this after I posted:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=26462

So *YOU'RE* the guilty one here. Uggg It was a good idea in theory, but my iPad is now unusable to surf CCTV forum. Please offer a way to disable this mobile version. Not sure if you can edit the php file and make this happen (I am the admin of my own phpBB forum, but do not offer a mobile version), but other sites have a link at the bottom of the page to allow you to view the full site. CCTV forum mobile version does not. Nobody wants to be forced to view a mobile version of a website on an iPad

Also, the forum index isnt the same in both. For example, the IP camera sub forum is not in the same category. Just an FYI.

You should be able to tell your browser to report itself as a desktop browser rather than mobile... that should prevent most sites from defaulting to a mobile version (unless it's a mobile-specific URL, like "m.facebook.com").

You should be able to tell your browser to report itself as a desktop browser rather than mobile... that should prevent most sites from defaulting to a mobile version (unless it's a mobile-specific URL, like "m.facebook.com").

how can i tell my iPad to act as a desktop browser and not allow mobile sites to load? if you know how, im all ears

also, the website doesnt show up in the browser as m.cctvforum.com. it just shows cctvforum.com

Would depend on the browser... looking at Safari on my iPhone 3G, it doesn't appear to have the option (without jailbreaking). Actually, don't see the option in Opera Mini either.

On my HTC phone running WM6, Opera Mini gives me a "Mobile View" toggle in the Settings. Internet Explorer also has the option under Options -> Other: "Browse websites as: Mobile Device; Desktop Computer".

Most of these sites that have mobile versions, when you load them, the browser will report its make, model and version, and the site will generate the appropriate display. In this case, mobile browsers usually tell the site that they're mobile browsers so it can format things appropriately. That's probably what's happening here.

In the case of Facebook, if a mobile browser is detected, it kicks you to the m.facebook.com URL. You can actually view the mobile site in a regular desktop browser by going straight to that URL, too (they also have a version that's more optimized for larger-screen devices at touch.facebook.com).

I quite like the mobile view, except I can't see a way to change pages (Opera Mobile or Dolphin HD on Android). There are # and "gear" symbols at the top and bottom of the page but neither seems to do anything.

Oh, and I don't see a "full site" link anywhere...

OK, let me look into that. I tested it on a IPod touch and it was working good. I will try another phone though.

EDIT:

OK, You do use the # symbol, with the underscore under it, to jump to the next page. On the IPod when I touched it ( the # symbol ), the IPod brought up a box asking whether it should run Javascript. I touched yes, and it popped up a list with page numbers. Once I clicked yes, it did not ask again. I had to use the IPod again because I have a "dumb phone" that can't surf the web.

The gear symbol has options under it too. So, make sure your phones can run Javascript because this style relies heavily on it.

The "full version" link should be at the bottom of the page. If it is not there, there is a bug in the code somewhere.

If that does not work, I will check the designers page for issues and possible fixes.

I'll check for that, but the "gear" buttons on the individual posts do give me the proper popup menus, so I would think Javascript is working.

The thread "gear" and # buttons don't do anything on the stock Android browser either.

Okay, the "up" button works (top-left), but the search button on the top bar doesn't. Checked the settings in Dolphin, javascript is enabled, popup blocker is off.

Yep, same in stock Android browser: up, reply/report buttons on posts work; gear, search and # buttons on top and bottom of thread don't... Confirmed popups and javascript are both enabled.

Okay, testing on iphone 4, ios 5, safari, and they all work, although the troublesome menus sometimes flash and then vanish. Still not seeing a "full site" link.

And now on Skyfire browser on Android, trouble buttons worked once after about four clicks, then again after four more clicks, then not again at all.

The ones that do work in the other browsers, also work flawlessly in Skyfire.