DataAve

GUEST VIEWING

Would you like GUEST VIEWING disabled?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like GUEST VIEWING disabled?

• Yes, I want my info kept private.
    • No, who cares who collects my email.

I come in peace folks.

Email addresses are private whether you register or not. No one can see your email address. Registered members can send other registered members email via the message board BUT your email address is never displayed to the sender.

I will find a MOD that will restrict the viewing of the memberlist and it's related information from guests.

I stated two reasons, be they assumptions or not, why I wanted to keep the forum public. I stand by those reasons. If this forum ever reaches the point where there are 200 members on at one time; then I might consider making it private.

The only difference between a lurker and a registered user is a user name and I can see IP addresses of guests too.

I am not trying to play dictator here. You can tell by the way this forum is run - loose moderation, minimal advertising - that I meant this place to be informational in nature. Making it private would be contrary to that goal.

1. E-mail addresses are not visable currently. Try sending a test mail to yourself. While I haven't digiested the headers the body doesn't give it and the site itself doesn't give it.

They use to be visible ... didnt notice when it changed ... but yep cant get the email anymore ..

Well actually only the main page is indexed, would need to redo the script so it has static pages also, and a link to those starting from the top static page, but right now only the main page is indexed in google. So as the forum code is right now, it wouldnt matter for google whether it is private or not.

Also, we do have a dealer forum for most long term members, and lurkers cant get in there

Rory, I concur!

I think you and Rory are mistaken here. Web crawlers like google, can and do index php web pages and forums, without static pages being necessary. A search engine crawler works the same way as your browser does when you are viewing this forum. When it requests a php web page with a certain set of arguments, the php script is interpreted on the server end, and html code is sent back to the web crawler. The crawler can then parse the html, and extract all links inside (which in this case is the same php page but with different arguments). Then those links are crawled.

As long as http://cctvforum.com/robots.txt does not explicitly ban viewtopic.php, then google will index this page. If you want proof, try searching for “VGA baluns at Muxlabsâ€

I wrote a script for one of my previous sites (a fully dynamic ASP site) and it created static pages for it, well actually it was dynamic pages that loads it like a static page, faking the search engines basically. Once released in just a few days the site was all over google like a worm. It previously was on the 1st page to start with anyway, but nothing like that, and this is a site that has been on the 1st page of search engines from 1996.

Other pages are ofcourse indexed, but im not going to get into any lengthly details on this as it doesnt really interest me anymore, but static pages or dynamics mimicking static pages are definately indexed by far more than a pure dynamic page with a querystring in it, regardless of what meta tags or content you are grabbing from the db.

Okay ill tell yah how ... example of a real estate site..

Typical Dynamic Page:

listing.asp?ID=1

Dynamic or Static Page:

land_for_sale/orange_home_on_beach.htm

The latter will get you a far better result on google just because of the name of the link itself .. if you check some of the other PhP forums you will see they have static pages with all the database info as well, and those forums results are like a virus on google ...

Trust me, I physically did it, and it makes a huge difference ..i was using strictly dynamic names for years ... and still do .. but the static names are a huge difference .. and if it is a pure static site, or with just static info and using static page names (as above), same thing.

Do a search for "CCTV Bahamas" on google and from the 2nd and 3rd results you will see what I mean ..

Edited by Guest

Ok guys, take a breather, discussions like this are always healthy for the forum, because discussions like this, kinks can be worked out. Just one thing please.

Don't disrespect eachother, we are all professionals and adults here, it hasn't happened, but don't let it get out of hand. If I feel that it's getting out of hand, I will close this thread.

Thanks.

You may now continue your battles

Larry, so what is your decision?

As you can see that there are so many opinions, some based on facts and some based on fiction. You are the administrator and the owner and everyone gives you that. But if this thread means anything to you, this shows that there are some issues that you need to decide and implement...

Some are with you and some are not based on your initial assessment. I firmly believe that this thread should not have gone as far as it did, had you just found a happy medium and that is what I think you should do. As a member, I'd like you to compromise and find such medium where everyone feels safe and comfortable and doing so, you can calm down everyones fears.

Therefore, we all are waiting for your decision!

Levon

Where is DATA???

Hey man, do not make me come out to East Coast and drag you back to this forum This forum is not the same without you...

Get back in the game now!

Levon

Funny, the man running this board (Larry) has registered this Board-cctvforum.com ANONYMOUSLY. It was done through GoDaddy.com and hidden by DomainsByProxy.com. Rather amusing.

I can not find an option nor a page where I can delete my account. Do you have full control over that also (not giving members a choice)?

Please delete my account. It has been a real pleasure learning from you wonderful people....all of you.

Well, all that I can do is wish you all good luck in your endavours.

I'll keep in touch thru e-mail.

Anyhow, I am closing this thread, it's caused too many problems.