Zohan

Bad searching, needs improvement

Searching on this forum is really bad....numorous times I have searched for something only to have it come back with no results found. I have then seen the exact phrase I searched for in threads. I went so far as to coy from a thread and paste into search and still comes back with no results...

Try it with "Search for any terms" selected instead of "Search for all terms" and you get this:

179951_1.png

Must be something with the way it's parsing the hyphen; with an "any" search, it's finding the two terms separately.

Looks like it's seeing the hyphen as a Boolean operator:

179951_2.png

Ah-Ha!

I will give that a try..didnt even see the 'search' next to control panel because i've always just typed into the search box on top right.....

What a tool...

It is a bit of an oddity... Boolean operators are usually less-common characters, like | for OR, & for AND... a ! before a term would normally be NOT, but in this case they're using the -. It would seem to make sense that they should at least look for a space in front of it, specifically to deal with hyphenated words.

Maybe I'll check with the phpBB forums and see if there's a patch to deal with this.

BTW, if you're familiar with Boolean phrasing, you should be able to customize your searches, even from the dropdown box.