Sign in to follow this  
larry

Retailer topic noise split from Logitech thread

The same team that did wilife did alert, but alert is a very different product from wilife. Obviously I'm biased since I work on the product, but I've dissected a lot of competing products in my day and I'm comfortable saying for the price, our system is head and shoulders above anything else I've seen.

Well, at least you admit you work for Logitech.

This looks like a very expensive toy. Unless you want to be locked into Logitech's system, I'd stay far away. Take a look at the Dahua 2MP dome or 720p IR bullet if you want good, *compatible* HD cameras at a low cost.

I don't think Soundy will admit he gets compensated for recommending Sean's/Nelly's products.

After reading a lot of posts around on this forum I have noticed that as well, I have also noticed that those cameras seem to give you the best bang for your buck just as Soundy said. Atleast he's not spreading mis-information and he is very helpful.

After watching the video's of 700e and comparing them to the Dahua 2MP dome I am going with the Dahua but with lots of lights on.

I went to the Logitech website and they have a forum for the alert cameras and most everybody hates the software that comes with the camera but rate the actual cameras as pretty good for the money... Seems choppy to me at 960 x 720 @15fps

After watching the video's of 700e and comparing them to the Dahua 2MP dome I am going with the Dahua but with lots of lights on.

I went to the Logitech website and they have a forum for the alert cameras and most everybody hates the software that comes with the camera but rate the actual cameras as pretty good for the money... Seems choppy to me at 960 x 720 @15fps

I have never used Dahua products but I do believe they are very good products for the price. So, I am glad you were able to come to a conclusion as to which direction you're going to go. That is what this forum is for.

After reading a lot of posts around on this forum I have noticed that as well, I have also noticed that those cameras seem to give you the best bang for your buck just as Soundy said. Atleast he's not spreading mis-information and he is very helpful.

So, what you are saying is that the fact that they are good products negates everything else?

The same team that did wilife did alert, but alert is a very different product from wilife. Obviously I'm biased since I work on the product, but I've dissected a lot of competing products in my day and I'm comfortable saying for the price, our system is head and shoulders above anything else I've seen.

Well, at least you admit you work for Logitech.

Per company policy, I'm required to disclose that--but more importantly, it's just the right thing to do. I don't want to mislead anybody.

Edited by Guest

Just want to mention that I don't think it's really sales pitches. Different members sell different product lines. Like, if you were on a car forum and asked what car should be purchased, the Ford dealer will most likely recommend Ford

Seems every day someone asks what to buy, and it's usually the same members who reply with the same recommendations. Members here will recommend what they know, like and, yes, will recommend what they sell.

I've been using Aver DVRs lately and that's what I'll recommend. Many members here recommend the product line sold by Nelly's Surplus, for several reasons - he's a trusted member of the forum who provides a decent product at a decent price with excellent service (which I've had the pleasure to experience first hand - a couple of times).

So, just wanted to say my piece. Back to regularly scheduled programming

I did not mean to wreck this thread so this is the last I am going to say about this - in this thread. If anyone wants to discuss this further, open a new thread under CCTVForum or PM me.

I have been watching this for about 3-4 months and , yes, they are sales pitches. I wasn't completely sure before but I am 100% sure now.

I am not upset about this at all. No one's going to be banned or anything like that. Nevertheless, retailers are not allowed to recommend their own products; even if it is done through third parties - period. This is not a new rule. So, Nelly's url and brand will be removed from this forum. I just have to find a way to do it without trashing the threads completely.

Why do you think company's create proprietary brand names? Anyway you slice it all links back to them.

Why is this forum not recommending real brand names / original equipment manufacturers (OEM's)? Instead some people are recommending importers who put a new sticker on a product and pretend they manufacturer it.

Seems like you don't even let the customer choose where to purchase a product if you just recommend a proprietary brand name or model number which links back to one site.

I am not upset about this at all. No one's going to be banned or anything like that. Nevertheless, retailers are not allowed to recommend their own products; even if it is done through third parties - period. This is not a new rule. So, Nelly's url and brand will be removed from this forum. I just have to find a way to do it without trashing the threads completely.

I have bit my tongue about this long enough. But Larry, since you so ignorantly made this a public affair, being that you are the owner of the site, I will have my two cents in at as well.

I dont know what your prejudice is about my site Larry. I can understand the comments of a few select people saying stuff like this because of the jealousy of our success, but coming from you, I just dont get it. I have paid you thousands of dollars in advertising but anytime anyone says something about my site, whether they are a re-seller or just a previous customer, you throw a fit about it. The fact is, I have alot of customers on here. Reason being is because I have paid alot of money with banner ads for months. Therefore, there is going to be alot of people on here talking about my products, well because they seen the ad, and purchased the product. If they are satisfied with their purchase, then they will come on here and talk about their purchase. You have deleted a few of my customers comments about the good experience they have had with us which I have bit my tongue about, the customers did not bite their tongue and they let you know how stupid it was of you to totally delete their posts. You know which ones I am talking about.

If you have other dealers on here crying about our business getting mentioned so much to you, then I suggest that they do what I did, pony up and spend some money on advertising and quit crying about it. If you have sponsers on here wondering why our business gets talked about so much and they dont get talked about at all, Well its because I ACTUALLY PARTICIPATE IN THE FORUM. If they want to be talked about more, then perhaps they need to go further then just posting a small link to the left of the page.

retailers are not allowed to recommend their own products; even if it is done through third parties - period.

No problem I understand that, But you better be completely fair about this. You cant just target one business like you are doing mine. I can give you several examples of how this policy was not implemented on several other threads. I can also give you TONS OF EXAMPLES of certain individuals blatently recommending their products and basically saying all other products are inferior, and making you feel stupid if you didnt buy their products. Yet you dont say ANYTHING AT ALL to these people. Everyone knows who I am talking about too.

If anyone wants to discuss this further, open a new thread under CCTVForum or PM me.

Being the owner of this discussion board and publically talking about and defaming the name of another business is not a good idea. I have PM'ed you more about this in private, probably something you have should done in the first place.

Seems like you don't even let the customer choose where to purchase a product if you just recommend a proprietary brand name or model number which links back to one site.

Get a clue dude! The reason why people refer us so much is we sell good products and stand behind them and support them. Why buy from a place if you have a problem with it and you dont know who to call to support it. Heck even you called me the other day asking for tech support on trying to get your bullet camera to work with Aver. The funny thing is, you didnt even buy the bullet camera from us, !

So, Nelly's url and brand will be removed from this forum.

Well you got your work cut out for you. My guess is that you will butcher tons of threads like you have in the past.

This will be the last post I will have on this forum since the owner has made our company a blasphemous word. I have made alot of friends, customers, and business colleagues on this site. Thanks for everything. Feel free to email me or call me if you need to reach us for sales or tech support. Not sure how long this thread is going to be up and I am sure many other stupid things are going to be said about us. Unfortunately you wont get to see all of the many other good things that have been said about us a well because the butcher cometh to butcher the threads.

[edited by Larry to identify who quoted what ]

WFT? The words . have been replaced by Dahua..

I guess I lied about not responding to this thread anymore...

Welcome to the discussion Sean. I have to admit though, you are way too late to be taken seriously by me. I made a very specific observation; no where in your response do you deny it. Nor has the other party spoken up either? Personally, if someone made an accusation like that about me, I would have responded much sooner.

I dont know what your prejudice is about my site Larry. I can understand the comments of a few select people saying stuff like this because of the jealousy of our success, but coming from you, I just dont get it. I have paid you thousands of dollars in advertising but anytime anyone says something about my site, whether they are a re-seller or just a previous customer, you throw a fit about it.

Thousands of dollars? It's not been thousands and this just goes to show that I can't be bought. I don't throw fits; much too old for that. I just don't like people who try to game the system.

Well its because I ACTUALLY PARTICIPATE IN THE FORUM. If they want to be talked about more, then perhaps they need to go further then just posting a small link to the left of the page.

Yes, you participate but mostly in threads that involve your products.

Take a look at this post: viewtopic.php?f=56&t=31343&p=196066#p196066

Here was an opportunity for you to give back but you failed. Instead of just giving the guy the url, you asked for his order number first? Just give a fellow forum member some information. And this was just an observation, it really has nothing to do with what I am alleging.

And just so you know Sean, I personally have nothing against you or your company. I just think you made a play and it backfired; good business men do that. As far as I am concerned, it's over. If you, or any one else, wants to make me look like the bad guy here. I got no problem with that, I can handle it.

The problem is that when I tried to help, by giving that poster the website to b a h m a s s e c u r i t y where rory detailed the RTSP string for various Dahua devices the website is blocked from being posted in forum or PM...

Take a look at this post: viewtopic.php?f=56&t=31343&p=196066#p196066

Here was an opportunity to give back but you failed. Instead of just giving the guy the url, you asked for his order number first? Just give a fellow forum member some information. And this was just an observation, it really has nothing to do with what I am alleging.

xellbuy, that question as not asked of you so why are you answering it?

And, yeah..that site is blocked as well and anyone with any history here knows why. I have to honestly say that the overwhelming majority of people here participate because they truly like helping people.

Unfortunately, a few people get tired of helping I guess and do things to get themselves and/or their sites banned. Most forums have to deal with this on a daily basis.

Because people who have no commercial interest in selling product on their site are blocked and those are the people who were actually interested in helping and not here on this forum for business promoting activity.

xellbuy, that question as not asked of you so why are you answering it?

And, yeah..that site is blocked as well and anyone with any history here knows why. I have to honestly say that the overwhelming majority of people here participate because they truly like helping people.

Unfortunately, a few people get tired of helping I guess and do things to get themselves and/or their sites banned. Most forums have to deal with this on a daily basis.

My observation from being here a while is that every day people sign up and ask for product recommendations. Let's face it, the CCTV market can be very overwhelming and confusing, even to professionals. With so little information out there that compare/review DVRs, manufacturers & resellers how is anyone supposed to consider a product or consider where to buy it? I thought part of the appeal of a forum like this was getting that sort of advice.

With all the members here, how many usually respond to product recommendation posts? It's very few. Those that do will naturally recommend product they're familiar with &/or product they sell. There really aren't too many members who step up to the plate. Seems that those who do, if they do it too often, get viewed as self promoters.

I've made 2 purchases from Sean since I've been active on this forum for several reasons. 1 - to help a sponsor of the forum, 2 - because of all the great positive feedback he's received, and 3 - I'm a big supporter of the little guy.

I think it's great that this forum has people who are honest and can serve some of the needs of other members. However, after reading through this thread, I'm personally reluctant to respond going forward. I think future topics from people asking for help will be deathly quiet due to potential repercussions if the same opinions are posted too often.

Thanks for taking the time to voice your concerns.

My observation from being here a while is that every day people sign up and ask for product recommendations. Let's face it, the CCTV market can be very overwhelming and confusing, even to professionals. With so little information out there that compare/review DVRs, manufacturers & resellers how is anyone supposed to consider a product or consider where to buy it? I thought part of the appeal of a forum like this was getting that sort of advice.

Yes, one of the reasons this forum is here to help people consider what product to buy. What it sounds like you are saying is that you don't care whether it is an honest recommendation or a paid endorsement. I can certainly open this place up and let the retailer's battle it out in every post; but would you still want to be here once that happens? Would anyone, other than the retailers, really want to come here after that?

With all the members here, how many usually respond to product recommendation posts? It's very few. Those that do will naturally recommend product they're familiar with &/or product they sell. There really aren't too many members who step up to the plate. Seems that those who do, if they do it too often, get viewed as self promoters.

People here recommend all sorts of products and brands, CNB, Gadspot, Qsee, Geovision, Aver, Avigilon, Sony, Panasonic, Dahua... etc.

Please do not confuse what happened in this thread with what is allowed to happen naturally everyday.

I've made 2 purchases from Sean since I've been active on this forum for several reasons. 1 - to help a sponsor of the forum, 2 - because of all the great positive feedback he's received, and 3 - I'm a big supporter of the little guy.

I have no issues with Sean and I am sure most of the positive feedback was genuine.

I think future topics from people asking for help will be deathly quiet due to potential repercussions if the same opinions are posted too often.

I don't think that will happen, but if it does, really nothing I can do about it. Moderating a forum is extremely difficult. Gotta make decisions that may piss people off. I get that - like I stated before, this was not an off-the-cuff decision. I think I did my due diligence on this.

EDIT:

I am locking this thread because it went off-topic and I think everyone has had time to voice their concern. If not, start a thread under CCTV Forum.