This is the number one problem in this forum. Just about every thread gets hijacked and the original question never gets dealt with, or it finally does after the arguing stops.

Maybe there needs to be more moderators to handle this. You can tell a good forum by how "on topic" it stays. If somebody has a problem with a suggestion, instead of calling them out publicly, send them a PM. Maybe instead of jumping down somebodies throat, you will post ideas and suggestions yourself that directly relate to the original thread post/question!

I'm so happy that I understand CCTV and can answer my own questions, but I would certainly be very bothered if I had some simple questions about buying a dvr, that maybe I didn't know how to ask, and then hear about why somebody doesn't manufacture a particular product!

Come on.....................

I'm done venting now

I'm not talking about a "specific" thread, but rather a problem this forum has! I think there needs to be a moderating team for certain sections that tackles this ongoing problem!

monster do you suggest we start splitting or deleting every thread that goes off topic ..?

I did mention I would do that and started to do that, but then its a fine line in alot of threads, and many of them would count me, you and alot of the other senior members in ..

More mods would certainly be helpful, but the problem is who gets selected ... I for one have nothing to sell anyone, but many of the regular members do.

Thomas is an exeption of the rule, and i myself kneel down to him for how he holds back from doing what alot of the dealers/dists/reps do on this forum as far as sneaky advertising ... he is indeed a unique person and someone I would trust with my life, for the mere fact that he follows and upholds the rules on an online forum, whilst he could easily do otherwise and help himself make more money. Hands out to Thomas ... I hope to meet him one day and shake his hand.

As for choosing other mods, I can nominate a couple, but thats something we would need to look at closer, behind the scenes. The couple I mention know who they are, but I wont mention names here. It would definately rule out anyone with an axx to burn as far as sales goes, specifically disributors and Reps, and would only include senior members and or members that spend alot of time on the forum.

Its definately something we can look at ... need more feedback, lets see.

Ultimately this is Larry's Forum and he has the last word ... and I stand by whatever he chooses.

Rory

Oh yeah. If threads had to be split every time they got off topic it would keep you mods busy all the time. Not to mention the threads would lose their consistency.

Sometime a thread will evolve for the better. It's not like someone is going to stop a thread and say hey lets start another thread on what were talking about now.

One question leads to another, then that gets discussed. Most of the threads on here are like that. That is why it really pays to do searches on items your interested in because you never know where information you might be interested in located.

Anyway, that's my late night opinion. Could change by morning.

Yeah I think I'll do a sticky about using the search .. all new members should know that thats the first resort before posting a new question

see. this thread stayed on topic ..

That is a good Idea.

I keep seeing the same questions asked over and over in new threads.

It would be more efficient and helpful to use already existing threads that have already discussed the topic somewhat. Then if their question is not found there the thread can be added to.

I'm not suggesting that every question gets put in a new thread, but you and I know there are handfuls of threads with posts that don't belong in them! A forum like this, getting 3-5 new members daily can't operate on 2 moderators. You need to get some people to help you out. Give them specific areas to work on and go from there.

I agree with rory's comments.

There will always be occasions where a thread takes a somewhat .... 'creative route' (hands up, even I've done it), and more often than not that's what makes it more interesting.

Where one or two members choose, or inadvertantly start to monopolise an individuals thread, there is nothing to stop any member politely pointing out a drift away from the subject. I'm guessing it doesn't often happen, because it doesn't often cause offence.

We could (and perhaps should) all take individual responsibility for our postings, and if we feel things are getting too far off the mark, take it upon ourselves to do something about it.

It shouldn't be a case of relying on or expecting a moderator to pull things back into line, as and when necessary; more as a last resort.

After all, even moderators are allowed some sleep under the Geneva convention

P.S. As always, big thanks to larry and the mods!

When it comes to thread hijacking, my thought is that the posters need to moderate themselves about it. To be honest, I try to moderate the least amount possible. The more I'm moderating, the less info actully comes out. When I moderate I usually try to state why I'm moderating so I don't have to do it again.

Most of the time this place isn't super tough to moderate. Discussions can almost always stay civil and I think I've deleted maybe seven or eight posts all together. 90% of the headache is dealer pricing and Rory handles most of that .

When it comes to thread hijacking, my thought is that the posters need to moderate themselves about it. To be honest, I try to moderate the least amount possible. The more I'm moderating, the less info actully comes out. When I moderate I usually try to state why I'm moderating so I don't have to do it again.

Most of the time this place isn't super tough to moderate. Discussions can almost always stay civil and I think I've deleted maybe seven or eight posts all together. 90% of the headache is dealer pricing and Rory handles most of that .

100% agree, you a moderator elsewhere too? or just been doing it here long enough to get it.

im going of topic here, thomas chap, sent a few pms, asked in a couple of places. would like acsess to the dealer area...

regards,

sam

im going of topic here, thomas chap, sent a few pms, asked in a couple of places. would like acsess to the dealer area...

regards,

sam

You aren't really owed a responce, just assume whatever posting you have done up to this point hasn't yet fit the requirements posted HERE, just chill a while and post more then ask again in a month or so.

Ps I'm not snobbing you off, I don't have access either, but I'm a mod and admin on other sites and I hate getting asked the same question over and over. Sometimes you just get busy and I doubt the mods here are getting paid very well for helping out.

no i realise that. althought to be honest the point of this forum for me personally is to chat to other members in the trade. so if thats not possible not much point me being here .

we dont chat much in the dealer section, it is the deadest of forums actually ...someone said paid ..??

Wait till you get in there, and then realize there is nothing there really that interesting. There is more dealer talk outside the dealer section than in it.

I thought like you before I was allowed access and then was disappointed once I was in there. Believe me your not missing anything. You’ll see. You will take a quick glance and then be right back out of that section talking in the regular forum where the real action is. JMHO.

I thought like you before I was allowed access and then was disappointed once I was in there. Believe me your not missing anything. You’ll see. You will take a quick glance and then be right back out of that section talking in the regular forum where the real action is. JMHO.

Good cover Jasper.....we installers/dealers have important things to discuss privately.

Gee, speaking of thread drift... this one's a pretty good example.

Okay, I'm a relative n00b on this board, but an old hand at online fora of many types for the last 15+ years, as an admin, a moderator, and as just another user.

In my short time here I've found the thread drift and hijacking here considerably lower than the average of what I've seen, probably mainly to do with the fact that most participants are here in a professional or semi-professional capacity to begin with.

And really, a little thread drift now and then is, if not a good thing in itself, a good sign of a solid community: people become more familiar with each other over time, and with the familiarity comes more casual chat, and thus threads tend to wander.

Excessive moderation, in my experience, tends to drive many of those people away, or at least severely curtail their participation. A little friendly chatter now and then is incentive to check in more often, participate more often... and as a side effect, weigh in on the important questions more often, with a broader base of knowledge and experience provided by a larger, more familiar user base. Sure, you may get more new users, but they're the types that tend to be higher turnover, and you end up with a forum with fewer people actually kicking in at any given time.

Just some thoughts for y'all to mull over.

I drink too much coffee, smoke too much too.

Anyone else take their coffee via IV? I think I'm gunna push the button naowwowowow....