rory

How about a sister forum, Alarm Systems??

Just an idea. There really arent any good forums out there, google's forum is full of spam and no moderation, i think it would be a good thing to have and label it a sister site or something. Maybe get advertising from alarm resellers to pay for the site.

If you are interested i can help with ideas on forums. Id do it myself but i dont have the cash (or credit card) for the monthly fee. My current host only charges $10 pm for 150GB of storage by the way, mostly ASP hosting, maybe PHP also. (www.discountasp.net). I still have 2 sites on my old host a $22 per month but will switch soon enough.

Rory

Hey Rory,

I do have a couple of places where alarm questions can be answered on this forum. They are under the Security Related Section.

At this time, I have no plans for another forum. Although it is a good idea because that alarm newsgroup is pretty bad.

The reason is time and , ofcourse, money. I am working on another web site and it is taking up all my time. I am coding it by myself in asp.net and it is taking more code than I planned. Also I know the time is going to come when this sites bandwidth is going to raise alarm. I will be asked to get my own server at that point. So I am trying to finished the other site so I can hopefully get some funds to get a server for this site.

Like I said though, it is a good idea worth considering. If I get some extra cash, I may do it. If I could only hit the lottery

Hey Rory,

I do have a couple of places where alarm questions can be answered on this forum. They are under the Security Related Section.

At this time, I have no plans for another forum. Although it is a good idea because that alarm newsgroup is pretty bad.

The reason is time and , ofcourse, money. I am working on another web site and it is taking up all my time. I am coding it by myself in asp.net and it is taking more code than I planned. Also I know the time is going to come when this sites bandwidth is going to raise alarm. I will be asked to get my own server at that point. So I am trying to finished the other site so I can hopefully get some funds to get a server for this site.

Like I said though, it is a good idea worth considering. If I get some extra cash, I may do it. If I could only hit the lottery

Yep, i understand. What host are you using, or going to use for the ASP.net? I switched over to www.discountasp.net hosting from one i was with for several years, and they are great, and low priced. I need an ASP specific host as I write ASP scripts/applications also (did for years, but lately been too busy with other things).

I havent moved on to .net yet, as I know classic ASP in and out, so its easier and quicker for me, and I can do anything I want with classic ASP. I understand .net is easier though, so I may move to that soon. Most of my clients dont want to pay for .net hosting yet though, and most still run classic ASP, so thats another reason for me to stick with it. Ofcourse as MS does with everything, they will no doubt stop supporting it at some time in the next coiple years, so we'll have to move to .net anyway.

Actually most people i know that are recently new to scripting, like within the last year, started with PhP as they claim it to be easier, im just so used to VB and VBscript now, that perl, php (derived from perl/javascript type code) is like spanish to me. I can understand they are all pretty much the same, just with some different variations of code, but still would need to learn alot and no time to learn anything new in programming right now.

Good luck and if you need any classic ASP help in the future let me know. Ive written a full featured search engine in the past , tracking system, etc, so I have tons of 'tough' code lying around in zip files.

Rory