bpzle

So stupid...

A while back I put up cams in one of my favorite neighborhood restaurants...

Monday I picked up carry out and signed the ticket for around $30. The girl checking me out took the liberty of filling in herself a $45 tip... I'm saving the video now for the owner.

What an idiot!

LOL ..

Ive seen a new cashier in a gas station, surrounded by clearly visible cameras in the cash area, stealing over $700 on her first day ... then try tell the cops she didnt do it ...

Had one of a new-ish employee trying to use stolen department-store credit cards to purchase lottery tickets... got a dozen or so different segments of him swiping two or three different cards every time the other employee went to the back of the store. The company's loss-prevention people loved the pictures from the two megapixel cams behind the counter

so after you install systems you can just log into them whenever you like?

For us it depends. Most of our customers allow us to have the access and we have our own admin user and pass. We have a few that prefer not and would rather pay a trip charge if they need help.

Having the access especially if a PC based system allows us to provide a much faster service for the customer. Sometimes I can remote in while on the road and take care of something within minutes of the call.

We do not make a living logging in whenever we please, we tell them that we could randomly login to check on status once in a while. This has allowed us to find issues before a customer even knows there is one. They love it when we show up unexpectedly with a new camera or what not and when they ask why we are there they are completely floored with the service. Most customers never check the cameras for long periods of time so we do it for them as a courtesy if there ok with it. Most are completely fine with it.

I worked at a place where a guy would take just 5 or so bucks extra than he was supposed to. Luckily he got caught but it probably would have been quicker if it was $45!

so after you install systems you can just log into them whenever you like?

It's kind of normal practice. I always set up an engineer account and ask the client to add full permissions when needed for fault finding purposes. Some guys just set up an account with full permissions without asking. It's usually done in the client's best interest.

After working 9 years providing IT support services for restaurants I've seen many theft scenarios involving Employers, Employees and Customers. These people have taught me so much over the years and many times I feel you can't trust anyone. It's terrible.

Some of the more memorable things I've seen on video are:

- employees stealing from other employees - physically going into their bags and stealing cash, credit cards and jewelry

- customers stealing from customers (cell phones, wallets, purses, credit cards)

- employees stealing from customers (also cell phones, wallets, purses, credit cards)

- customers stealing from employees (taking money from tip jar when nobody is looking)

I also have memorable footage of employees getting arrested for crimes committed inside (and outside) of work, customers losing control of body functions, fist fighting and the bogus slip & fall. Always something going on, although it can be quiet for several months, then all of a sudden it comes in waves.

It's rare that I am surprised by what people get up to. Very often the first time a client wants to save some event onto CD they give me a call. There are some that follow my tuition but mostly they forget. I always advise that the most important thing is to estimate as closely as possible the time if known. The rest I can do for them over the phone.

Surprisingly, these days many police officers know the principles and can get the material they need off a DVR.

Surprisingly, these days many police officers know the principles and can get the material they need off a DVR.

I'm noticing more and more detachments are staffing members who are actually tech-savvy to begin with. Not all of them, of course, but it seems a lot of times when extracting video will be required on a visit, they send the officers who have a clue.

they send the officers who have a clue

hi Matt. do you use video Evidence Kits in canada ?? or in the US.

most systems in the uk are evaluated now by crime collection and memory pens or hard drives with manuals are sent out to most police forces.

Most I've seen are CDs/DVDs that the cops bring with them that have their labels on them with blanks to fill in date, time, case number, etc.

I'd just finished installing 1 camera at a school and as I was setting it up on the DVR I saw a teacher do a hit and run on my car.

Hope it was set up enough to record it!

I'd just finished installing 1 camera at a school and as I was setting it up on the DVR I saw a teacher do a hit and run on my car.

Hope it was set up enough to record it!

Yup. Even tried to deny it to the insurance company too until they were told there was CCTV footage.

LOL! That just made my day

I often wonder if something like that happened to me how I might deal with it?

thinking about it, I would look at the damage and get a repair estimate, then approach the teacher

directly, presenting the teacher with the estimate. I would just love to hear them lie to me about it

denying all knowledge then I would produce a still image of the very point they hit your vehicle with

time and date stamp, and a facial id if possible. Let them squirm out of THAT.

"Well in that case I'll just report it to police and let them deal with you" I'd say unless they had a

change of heart and offered to pay your repair bill.

I wouldn't involve the school except to get the teacher's details, discreetly. I wouldn't allow the matter

to go as far as police unless absolutely necessary and I wouldn't allow it to spoil the relationship

between myself and my client as that would be way too valuable to jeopardize.

Best of luck deciding how you will deal with it.

Wow, it's a good thing you were there to set up cameras!

Maybe not along the same lines...but here goes anyway...

We have glass statue "quality awards" on a table in our lobby (they are about the same size as the Academy Award "Oscar" awards). So we had an old cranky customer come into our lobby this morning one hour before we were officially open. I think the guy is about 80-years old. The sign inside the lobby says "use the lobby telephone for assistance" which he did, but of course no one answered because the one guy who was in our facility at the time was deep in the warehouse and wasn't near a phone. So -- apparently very pissed off that no one had answered the telephone -- this old cranky customer picks up one of our glass quality awards and starts pounding on the steel entry door with it. " title="Applause" /> What a freak! The award breaks into three pieces on his second swing. So he bends over, picks it up, puts it back on the table, puts his hands in his pockets and leaves. The sign on the door he used to enter the lobby says "By entering this facility you are agreeing to be video-taped." Which he was! What a freakin' hoot. " title="Applause" />

I knew spending 80 hours and $2,500 on CCTV was gonna pay off!

In olden times I was associated with a brand of CCTV cams. One of our tube cameras was installed outside the entrance of a bank. A gentleman with a ski mask successfully robbed the bank with a revolver, and left with the cash in a bag. As he exited the building he saw the camera as he was removing his mask. Being a thorough sort of criminal, he aimed and shot the camera.

Thanks to his careful aim, the PD had a perfect full face mug shot. The .38 round went through the camera body but missed the tube, not that it mattered. Of course in those days it was all recorded on analog physical tape.

I imagine him telling his cellmates to be sure to put a second round through the cams in the future, to be sure they're really dead. Dolt.

Maybe not along the same lines...but here goes anyway...

We have glass statue "quality awards" on a table in our lobby (they are about the same size as the Academy Award "Oscar" awards). So we had an old cranky customer come into our lobby this morning one hour before we were officially open. I think the guy is about 80-years old. The sign inside the lobby says "use the lobby telephone for assistance" which he did, but of course no one answered because the one guy who was in our facility at the time was deep in the warehouse and wasn't near a phone. So -- apparently very pissed off that no one had answered the telephone -- this old cranky customer picks up one of our glass quality awards and starts pounding on the steel entry door with it. " title="Applause" /> What a freak! The award breaks into three pieces on his second swing. So he bends over, picks it up, puts it back on the table, puts his hands in his pockets and leaves. The sign on the door he used to enter the lobby says "By entering this facility you are agreeing to be video-taped." Which he was! What a freakin' hoot. " title="Applause" />

I knew spending 80 hours and $2,500 on CCTV was gonna pay off!

any chance of posting the video up?