Sign in to follow this  
Numb-nuts

New spamming trend I've noticed

I have recently noticed a new trend in getting spam emails. The spammers seem to be sending emails pretending to be attaching a bill or recent transaction invoice and Card Debit. Of course you don't recognize the transaction (which you wont have made) the immediate reaction might be what's this lets have a look. BEWARE OF TROJANS and SPYWARE.

I got an email in December from american express with a credit card transaction alert stating that I just had a $12000 iTunes purchase. I totally flipped and called Amex. I was so certain I was a victim of identity theft until I looked at the email code and the urls were pointing to another website. While I was on the phone with a customer service agent I happened to figure out, and he was assuring me I had no such transaction on my Amex. It was even spoofed with a an americanexpress return email address.

If I had click on that link and signed in, I would have given away my amex login info.

That I assume, is precisely the reaction these emails are expected to cause and in a panic

most people will want to find out what its all about immediately and let their guard down.

The key is to check the URLs and don't open any attachments, simply delete these emails.