trc

New Business Need Help

Hello everyone, I'll give you a brief rundown on my cctv background, my father started a successful cctv company in 2001, which he owned and operated until 2012 when he sold the business. Over these many years I was almost always with him on every job and install he did and feel I have a pretty good grasp of cctv. Fast forward to today and I've decided to take the plunge myself and open my own business alongside my father, my question to you what is the single best piece of advice on landing your first job, I've given multiple bids which I feel were very competitive but got the run around which is expected but honestly I just want to get that first job on my own under my belt. I appreciate your input!

I still give estimates/bids on sites that I have gone to, but,,,,,

Stopped giving actual DVR/Camera/Power Supplies/etc. makes and models on the bid. I just give a one or two line generic description and cost after acquiring the requirements of the client. What I found was happening in the beginning was that the client would use me to put together a "parts list" and "recommended equipment locations and procedures", then use that to purchase and install the equipment themselves.

That was a long while ago, but the first two "bids", I didn't get. Went back later and just happened to catch them doing what I explained above. I'm sure that I probably wasn't the only "sap" that they contacted too, so that they didn't make any mistakes.

Oh, something else. I have had a client or clients ask why I didn't itemize my bids. I tell them that the technology and equipment is changing so fast, that equipment that I might place on the bid might be discontinued by the time they approve the install. If that happens, I will then sub the newer equipment at the same cost if possible. If not, I will contact them with an amended bid.

I've been burned on bids like that in the past also, draw out a game plan then turn around and doit themselves. I've got cards and a website but don't known if I should try door to door or possibly get a flyer made up.

If you have had as much experience as you say why not go for the bigger bids schools, govt, etc. Those bids usually have a set of specks and plans and you are somewhat on a level playing field. You might need bonding but if the job is small enough it may not be required. If the job is under 100,000 you can usually get a bond pretty easy. I would at any rate get your insurance, licenses if required and bonding in place then you can start going after these types of jobs. The other posters pretty much summed up the state of the smaller market stuff.

Our area is pretty much rural and there isn't much going here, as far as government, schools, etc. I get some city stuff (park, police station and city building), but it's just small potato's. One of our school's is pretty new, but the contractor who got the surveillance stuff evidently was hired by the general contractor and hired everyone "way out of the area"! The only local guy that I know of who got any work, was a HVAC guy.

You may have to travel for the bigger jobs and you will spend a lot of time preparing bids that go nowwhere but getting a job and doing it well will establish your company. We never went after too many jobs that were more than 50 miles away and I think that hurt us over the years as things got slow in our immediate area we should have had contacts in the other towns. You could also look at becoming a dealer for certain products. A lot of times you will get service work and leads because you are the only one who can service/sell a certain product. You may have to get training or make an investment but it will help bring in additonal business. Even though we did a fair amount of small camera jobs I never really liked the bottom end of the food chain.

At 73 years old and starting to slow down, there is no way that I'm going to even think about traveling 50 miles to give estimates. Also at those distances, I have large cities that are full of surveillance company's. Indianapolis Indiana, Dayton Ohio, Cincinnati Ohio and towards the north is Fort Wayne, Indiana. I am already a dealer for a CCTV company and have been in business at our present location since 1976 and a tremendous amount of experience in the electronic sales and service business. I am also presently a leader moderator of a CCTV manufacturer's service forum. I'm not going to search for training in something that has been my life. Now if, I was a newbie of 10 years or less experience, that would probably be a good thing to do.

My more pertinent question was to what has worked best as far as getting new business? Cold calling, door to door,more along those lines.