funkytwig

Disabeling or covering IR LEDs

Hi, I am planing on using a CCTV camera in a venue to pipe an image of the stage to the Front of House TV so people can see if the performance has started. The main issue I have is the CCTV cameras I am looking at all have IR LEDs and we do not want this feature. When the stage is lit the last thing we want to to be able to see the stage.

So, my question is can we cover the LEDs to stop the night vision happening. Its a dome camera I am looking at, was thinking of cutting a doughnut shaped pice of thick cardboard and putting it over the LEDs. Will thin work.

Regards, Ben

Most hi-quality cams will have a menu option or dip-switch to disable the IR LEDs. Otherwise, you can probably just unplug the power connector on the IR board.

covering the LEDs may cause internal reflections/heat buildup

What camera are you looking at. I'm assuming its analog?

There are many interior cameras without ir and they would be cheaper usually.

Plus keep in mind on a dark stage, the camera will be in night mode (black & white).

On ip cams you can disable this.

If an analog camera has an osd feature, you may also be able to override it.

Thanks for the replies.

I am looking at http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=231293658535&ssPageName=ADME:X:eRTM:GB:1123. I did find a cheeper one without IR but it was 4:3, we want 16:9.

We are looking at an analogue non IP cam as we have a composite video feed from auditorium to front of house TV. We dont want ot have ot add a computer to the mix, its a volunteer run cinema and we have to keep things simple.

Be good to know of any non IR noes that are zoomable and relatively cheap.

I am rather surprised that not one of these experts has mentioned that the larger the sensor the more light can get to tprocessor

Select a 1/2 inch over a 1/3 inch sensor camera, low light day /night with IR filter.

I don't remember you saying you wanted to do this on a shoestring. Covering up IR leds is like having a a torch with no batteries.

Whats the point?

Have you ever thought of announcing the performance is starting on a PA system?

Radical solution I know, but it's been done for years with great success.

With a screen to watch from the bar, you'll have loads of people hanging around the bar to watch instead of taking their seats

I am rather surprised that not one of these experts has mentioned that the larger the sensor the more light can get to tprocessor

It just took a higher level of expertise to bring it up

We have had a old SD 4:3 camera for this for years, we don't have or want a PA. People don't hang around watching screen. Maybe because there is no sound! Also when we are showing films the projectuoist can sit at the bar and when credits come up can go to projection room to raise house lights.

We are a small arts venue run by volenteers. We break even but have to watch the pennies.

We don't want an image when it is dark, when stage lights are down or film not playing this would not be good.

We have had a old SD 4:3 camera for this for years, we don't have or want a PA. People don't hang around watching screen. Maybe because there is no sound! Also when we are showing films the projectuoist can sit at the bar and when credits come up can go to projection room to raise house lights.

We are a small arts venue run by volenteers. We break even but have to watch the pennies.

We don't want an image when it is dark, when stage lights are down or film not playing this would not be good.

Makes more sense to me now.

what you said about covering up the IR leds I think that depending on the particular camera you can actually disconnect the led array (probably) I have to be completely honest here ans say I am not sure what effect your camera might show its just a case of trying it out. Covering the leds would probably not be effective although you could try a little blue tack over the sensor itself.

If you do buy an alternative camera look for one with wide dynamic range and Backlight compensation and of course no IR leds

Quick way for you to intall camera connect one DVR then output to TV via HDMI. Even for speak out the onsite sound, you can install a microphone to DVR then hook up speaker to audio out port of TV.