jboogie

Trying to help a buddy with security problems

Hi Yall

So A friend of my recently noticed that someone broke into his shed and stole some chairs, now he has been wanting to get a security system but does not have a clue where to start. he told me he is going to costco and buying the $700 system they have, I told him I would try to help him look around first because I am more tech savvy than him, but then realized how complex these camera systems are

He has 2 barns that are 300ft from the house at the farthest point. He wants to get about 8 cameras and a system to record all 8 cameras simultaneously. The cameras would be outdoor cameras in Michigan weather.

I am hoping that some on here can point me in the right direction, cameras separate from dvr or all-in-one system?

He is hoping to spend less that $1,000

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hi Yall

So A friend of my recently noticed that someone broke into his shed and stole some chairs, now he has been wanting to get a security system but does not have a clue where to start. he told me he is going to costco and buying the $700 system they have, I told him I would try to help him look around first because I am more tech savvy than him, but then realized how complex these camera systems are

He has 2 barns that are 300ft from the house at the farthest point. He wants to get about 8 cameras and a system to record all 8 cameras simultaneously. The cameras would be outdoor cameras in Michigan weather.

I am hoping that some on here can point me in the right direction, cameras separate from dvr or all-in-one system?

I would suggest going with a HD over coax system such as AHD. The transmission distance is 1600' with coax and will be a more stable connection than IP (since it wont depend on the network). This is a good system, 1200 TVL at 960P and it includes the hard drive

http://www.amazon.com/GW-Security-8-Channel-Surveillance-High-Resolution/dp/B00G3PJC1O/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1432736132&sr=8-5&keywords=8+channel+AHD

Hi Yall

I would suggest going with a HD over coax system such as AHD. The transmission distance is 1600' with coax and will be a more stable connection than IP (since it wont depend on the network). This is a good system, 1200 TVL at 960P and it includes the hard drive

http://www.amazon.com/GW-Security-8-Channel-Surveillance-High-Resolution/dp/B00G3PJC1O/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1432736132&sr=8-5&keywords=8+channel+AHD

Ip systems, if the cables are homerun to the NVR, dont depend on the network any more than the AHD...

Costco has ip systems that are good - http://www.costco.com/Lorex-8-Channel-HD-NVR-Security-System-with-2TB-HDD-and-4-1080p-Cameras.product.100153164.html

Or if you want to do hd over coax, they have much better values than that amazon system.

http://www.costco.com/Lorex-16-Channel-HD-720p-Security-System-with-2TB-HDD-and-12-720p-Cameras.product.100157889.html

http://www.costco.com/Q-See-8-Channel-HD-720p-Security-System-with-2TB-HDD-and-8-720p-Cameras-in-Selectable-Options.product.100148831.html

Hi Yall

Ip systems, if the cables are homerun to the NVR, dont depend on the network any more than the AHD...

Costco has ip systems that are good - http://www.costco.com/Lorex-8-Channel-HD-NVR-Security-System-with-2TB-HDD-and-4-1080p-Cameras.product.100153164.html

Or if you want to do hd over coax, they have much better values than that amazon system.

http://www.costco.com/Lorex-16-Channel-HD-720p-Security-System-with-2TB-HDD-and-12-720p-Cameras.product.100157889.html

http://www.costco.com/Q-See-8-Channel-HD-720p-Security-System-with-2TB-HDD-and-8-720p-Cameras-in-Selectable-Options.product.100148831.html

actually, IP does lag (even if it is hardwired) if the internet/network lags... trust me.

as far as the Lorex system, it is only 720P for the same price as the amazon system, which is 960P.. this one is even better

http://www.amazon.com/Defeway-D16AHD1-12xC720AH1-2000G-Channel-System-Security/dp/B00P7RBVN6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1432737687&sr=8-3&keywords=DEFEWAY+16+channel+1080P+AHD

with 1080P and the ability to add IP if you want higher resolution somewhere.

I wont "trust you" because what you are saying makes no sense. The cameras attached to the nvr do not transmit data over the network. The only thing that is transmitted over the network is data from the NVR when remote viewing...

I would not buy anything from amazon resellers unless I know they have a good reputation. With costco you can simply return the system at anytime..

Its 2015 and unless you have a severe budget constraint or distance issues 1080p IP is the way to go.

I wont "trust you" because what you are saying makes no sense. The cameras attached to the nvr do not transmit data over the network. The only thing that is transmitted over the network is data from the NVR when remote viewing...

What exatly does not make sense to you ?

just curios

What exatly does not make sense to you ?

just curios

That the network affects the performance if IP cameras connected directly to an NVR..that doesnt make sense...its not part of your network until you stream video from it...

peaceflwr is saying that if you network is slow or laggy it will affect the camera stream to the NVR, that is not the case. This only may be the case if the cameras are not connected to the NVR but rather to some other network connection..

That the network affects the performance if IP cameras connected directly to an NVR..that doesnt make sense...its not part of your network until you stream video from it...

peaceflwr is saying that if you network is slow or laggy it will affect the camera stream to the NVR, that is not the case. This only may be the case if the cameras are not connected to the NVR but rather to some other network connection..

Agree

Have u ever measure lag between cameras and NVR ?

just curios

Agree

Have u ever measure lag between cameras and NVR ?

just curios

Nah, I have never measured it on a standalone......with pc based nvr's I usually get 1 second so depending on the load...

Nah, I have never measured it on a standalone......with pc based nvr's I usually get 1 second so depending on the load...

1 sec sound too long

last time I measure my own system at home I got ~ 0.3 sec

1 sec sound too long

last time I measure my own system at home I got ~ 0.3 sec

Its just an estimate...it doesnt matter for recording though...

I would not buy anything from amazon resellers unless I know they have a good reputation. With costco you can simply return the system at anytime..

Its 2015 and unless you have a severe budget constraint or distance issues 1080p IP is the way to go.

I did not mention an NVR, of course if it goes directly from an NVR it wont lag! I am talking about cameras that are connected to a switch and then routed to the NVR through an IP scan or CMS software.

I did not mention an NVR, of course if it goes directly from an NVR it wont lag! I am talking about cameras that are connected to a switch and then routed to the NVR through an IP scan or CMS software.

I posted a link to a system with an NVR..in response you stated that ip cameras lag when the network lags and therefore its not a good idea...that is simply incorrect.

Even with VMS software the lag is minimal and does not affect the recording...its a non-issue for 99.9 percent of cases..Using AHD has severe limitations as you are not only limited to the cameras available to use but also NVR's....5 years from now you have no idea whether it will even be supported. you have to run independent power to each camera and you must homerun everything. You cannot record to say an sd card in the camera or to two locations at once as you can with IP cameras...

thanks everyone I am looking into the info and link yall gave me, been busy with school but i have been reading your input.