Sign in to follow this  
Dilbertic

NVR with or without POE switch

Hi All,

I am looking at setting up a NVR 8CH system at my house and been trying to soak up the information I have been reading. I have been looking at this DVR ( I am open to suggestions ) DS-7608NI-E2/8P that has 8 port POE built in, they also have a DS-7608NI-E2 model which must be used with a POE switch.

So my question is which is better to use POE built in or a switch, which brings me to the questions, if I have a patch panel in the garage, I could add the 8 port POE switch to the box, and all the camera wires would then route to this switch and have the NVR in my house using a dedicated gigabyte Ethernet running from the POE switch or from my main house smart switch?

Thanks for any positive input

Dil

For providing power it doesn't make a difference.

* POE from the NVR

* POE from a switch

* POE from a POE injector

Price-wise

It varies a bit as POE NVR's are pricier

Clean install

A POE NVR means less cables, connections, and devices (switches/injectors) laying around. It doesn't make a difference for the performance of the system, but more of a personal preference.

Far-away group of cams

If you have a group of cams that are far away from the NVR (maybe the garage..depending on your layout)...and there's power at the far-away spot...

* locate a POE switch at the far-away spot

* far-away group of cams plug into that POE switch

* run a single network cable from the NVR to the far-away switch

(far-away as in still less than 300' as there would be more to it to go longer range)

Ease of first-time setup

Some NVR's, including the Hik's, immediately locate the cams plugged directly into the NVR.

While cams out on the local-network somewhere are still totally doable, it means for the first-time setup you'd "search" for those cams, then add them to the NVR. But just for the setup only.

If I'm doing just a small office like maybe a chiropractic office or whatever, I stay on the simple side and do a POE NVR and run the cables back to the NVR.

At my house

I wired the place with network cable some time ago and there's already wired (non-POE) switches on different sides of the house. So I powered the cams with a POE injector near the switches (that I already had), and the NVR just connects to the LAN in the office.

Thank you for the reply,

I fig I have a patch panel in the garage anyways, I ran cat6 and cable into every room in the house since it was a mess when I bought it and fig'd I do it correctly.

So sounds like I can buy another metal panel box and mount it near my current patch panel, mount a 8 port POE switch which will host all of the POE cameras wiring, then connect the POE switch to my main network and have the NVR in my house in my computer room. I am guessing most of the viewing I will be doing is via mobile device or computer.

OK time to make sure I have the correct NVR and then research POE camera's, one thing I didn't see so far is wide angle camera's. I was trying to mount one in the center from my driveway, not sure that going to work.

Thank you so much for input, love learning new stuff

Dil