cfvzp

Camera and NVR suggestions

I've been asked to look in to a security system for my parents, the problem is I haven't kept up with advancing technology since I finished college 10 years ago (wow has a lot changed). I'll do my best to explain what I'm trying to do and what I've come up with so far.

I'm looking at a 5 camera system, POE seems to be the way to go, 3 outdoor bullets, 1 outdoor dome and a indoor dome. I have 2 major issues working against me: they are concerned about their garage that’s located about 3-400ft from the house and winter weather that usually sits between -30 to -45*C for 2 weeks in February.

The biggest problem I have is how to get the video from the garage to the house.

Option 1:

2 NVR's - 1 for the house, 1 for the garage, not ideal since they'd like to be able to view the camera feeds from the house.

Option 2:

Fiber from the garage to house, I think its just slightly out of range for CAT5/6.

Option 3:

Long range wireless bridge, something like the ENH500 (i have a clear line of sight but winter temps are still a problem for this).

Option 4:

Powerline networking, house and garage are on the same transformer and there used to be an intercom that used this technology years ago and it worked great. Its just questionable whether its possible to send large amounts of data over that distance. I'd personally prefer this option if anyone thinks it could be done.

I assume I'd need a POE switch for all but option 1.

I've been leaning towards ACTi E32A's for the outdoor bullets since they are rated for -40 and somewhat affordable, the outdoor and indoor dome is a recent ad-on but likely ACTi so it can all be ordered from the same supplier. I'm very open to manufacturer suggestions for cameras and NVRs since this is all very new to me. Also, I'd like to keep the cost around 3k but that's flexible to a point since I'd like to avoid consumer brand junk.

Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.