logitronics

CISCO SF300-24P AND 1 CATALYST 2960X FOR CCTV

Hello All,

I am about installing our CCTV network.

I have 136 cameras to deploy to 8 buildings. Most of the buildings are about 10 Meters from each other.

Pls help verify my design as follows:

-17 cameras (1080p) connects to each CISCO SF300-24P. Each of the SF300 in turn connects to the CATALYST 2960X.

-Since the buildings are close, I use outdoor rated CAT6 to connect the SF300 to the catalyst Switch.

-I intend to also use the 2960X for L3 routing for remote viewing of the cameras.

Any problems inherent?

Looking forward to your reply

Hello All,

I am about installing our CCTV network.

I have 136 cameras to deploy to 8 buildings. Most of the buildings are about 10 Meters from each other.

Pls help verify my design as follows:

-17 cameras (1080p) connects to each CISCO SF300-24P. Each of the SF300 in turn connects to the CATALYST 2960X.

-Since the buildings are close, I use outdoor rated CAT6 to connect the SF300 to the catalyst Switch.

-I intend to also use the 2960X for L3 routing for remote viewing of the cameras.

Any problems inherent?

Looking forward to your reply

Just few suggestions:

1) - I suggest not using CAT 6 cables for inter-building connections: in the event of a lightning that strike close to the building the overvoltage can enter into the cabling and destroy all the switches and all the cameras. Use Optical Fibers instead.

2) - For the sake of service availability (136 cameras means that you have to control a large area) I suggest to buy a second distribution switch (you can buy another used 2960 on ebay) and connect each SF300 to both the distribution switches. The two 2960x can be connect togeter with a PortChannel or using a stacking cable.

3) - Partition the cameras in groups and use a different VLAN for each group.

Giorgio