JohnnyBoy

Home System with options of expanding - Hikvision

Hi All,

This site has been invaluable for learning the basics of cctv systems and I think I am slowly getting my head around it.

My system needs currently are for a security system for my home, with approx. 4 outdoor cameras – Front door, looking into the street over the garage x 2, and one overlooking the backyard. In the future I will likely add a few more including a camera inside to monitor my fish tank/fish room (sad I know)

Regarding use, I don’t really need any face detection or the high end features. Just the option to record on motion, change frame rates with a good quality image and mobile app support.

When I purchased the house it already had cameras installed, the model number is listed on the camera surround is EN-DV120-65H, which after some googling shows it’s a ¼” Sharp 420 TVL with 3.6mm lens, so quite a low quality camera. It never had a DVR with it, so that’s what brought on my research.

In any event, I have decided to replace the cameras with something a little better. So after much looking around I have decided on the Hikvision brand and now to look for individual components. Though open to other brand suggestions of similar quality/price

Cameras

DS-2CD2132F– 3MP fixed dome camera with PoE. (either IS or IW, can someone tell me what the difference is??)

DS-2CD2732F-IS – 3MP 2.8-12mm vari focal lens (No PoE so ruling this one out)

DS-2CD2722F-IS – 2MP 2.8-12mm vari focal lens with PoE

DS-2CD2742F-IS – 4MP 2.8-12mm vari focal lens with PoE

I was thinking 3x4mm lenses for overlooking duties and 1x2.8mm for the entrance. Is it worth the extra money to go with variable focal lengths? Or will standard lenses be adequate in my situation

NVR

DS-7608NI-E2 – 8 PoE ports, 2 SATA HDD spaces (was thinking 2x3TB drives or 4TB if funds are still ok). There are two difference versions the NI or the N. I believe the NI is the international version? Which should I get and are there any limitations by getting one or the other? Just quite a jump in price between the two.

Setup/Wiring

Im reasonably handy with network wiring and would do the install myself. I currently have a network rack with network ports from around the home running to this location through a patch panel. Regarding the wiring I have a bunch of Cat6 data cabling that should be more than adequate for the IP cameras.

Pricing

Given I am in Australia, local companies are quite expensive so would need to be an ebay or similar purchase. Prices I have found so far (inc shipping/customs) on ebay are

DS-2CD2132F-IW 4mm - $122.71AU ($87 USD)

DS-2CD2132F-IS 4mm - $119.99AU ($85 USD)

DS-2CD2722F-IS 2.8-12mm $215.79AU ($153 USD)

DS-2CD2742F-IS 2.8-12mm $313.94AU ($223 USD)

DS-7608N-E2 - $329.99AU ($235 USD)

DS-7608NI-E2 - $463.00AU ($329 USD)

WD Purple 3TB - $185AU ($132 USD)

WD Purple 4TB - $265AU ($188 USD)

WD Purple 6TB - $409AU ($291 USD)

Just after a bit of a sanity check to see if the equipment will work together, and if you have any other suggestions or require more information on my end to make a recommendation

Thanks

John