jwang

Is a large long distance wireless CCTV system possible?

Hey, so I am clearly no expert regarding CCTV and could really use some advice.

Currently there is a CCTV system of about 80 IP Cameras at a factory without ADSL access. The system uses PoE switches that are directly connected to a NVR.

My question is is there any way to transmit the live data feed wirelessly to an office about 8km away?

The only solution I can think of is using outdoor wireless access points. However from the limited experience I have, I always connect IP Cameras directly to the access point and never to a NVR or DVR.

I would love to hear any solutions, suggestions, or even honest criticisms you guys have.

Does the office have internet access?

If so then I would look at two options.

3/4G sim card Router, uses cellphone signal to get on the internet

Satellite internet.

Both provide internet access, but at a monthly cost

Bandwidth cost is what you want to research, and to do that you need to know what customer wants as end result.

To view the cameras once in awhile or to review recordings(playback) once in awhile, i.e. 10 times a day

Or do they want monitors in the office doing live camera feeds 24/7.

If it's 24/7 then Point to Point should be looked at BUT(big but)........that is "line of sight" only.

Both antennas must be able to "see" each other.

If that is not possible then it won't work, at 1/2 a mile or 100 miles.

Some guys in South America did a WiFi link at 173 miles(279km), 10ft dishes, but line of sight, so it can be done if you have the line of sight.

Hi RonR,

I think the biggest issue your going to have if you manage such a long distance wireless solution would be packet dropping.

This will cause a lot of issues with frame drops, stuttering video etc etc.

If you can i would use a wired network over the WAN for the two locations. This way you can add all your cameras into a VMS (milestone for example, to think of one off the top of my head). This way would be better as you could then use a video server like the IES-500 ( http://ieslive.com/products/ies-500/ ) to compress that VMS display (individually for each camera if you so wished) into a H.264 compressed codec and control the bitrate, frame rates and resolution etc of the stream.

You could also open the H.264 stream in VLC or i think IESlive do decoding solutions (IES-150 if memory serves me well), which you can look into as well.

If you have Line of Sight between the 2 locations a ubiquiti solution may work. You may need to install a basic Rohn tower to gain LoS between locations, but it should work. To move the kind of bandwidth you would need for those amount of camera's you need to look at the 5ghz AirFiber system. Also Mimosa makes some nice point to point radios. I can get nearly 200mbs thru the B5 at 17 miles and 40mhz channel with a good noise floor.