Sign in to follow this  
LiveTrash

Buying a new house. Want to set up 2 camera system.

So as the title says, I'm buying my first house and want to set up a simple 2 camera system. One at the front door and one at the back. I have a general idea of how I want it to operate. The only thing I'm undecided on is what hardware I should be running. This obviously will be an always-on system - with that being the case, should I get a generic low-mid end PC capable of running the required software? (I think Blue Iris was the one I remember reading about before that was good). Or should I get server grade components and a server grade hard drive?

Any input would be appreciated.

If I think of more questions I'll post here.

Thanks!

Hi. A standalone NVR is your best option for two cameras.

There is no point spending on a PC for your needs

What is your budget

I don't really have a specific budget. Nothing crazy expensive. I don't need top of the line hardware. I'd like decent quality cameras though to be able to capture some finer details should anything happen.

EDIT: So I haven't heard of the term NVR before but have seen those types of systems. After quickly doing some searches, I found this system: http://www.costco.ca/Lorex-4-channel-1080p-NVR-Surveillance-System-with-1TB-Hard-Drive-and-2-3MP-Bullet-Cameras--.product.100248641.html

Is this the type of system you would recommend I look into getting? Any specific brands you can recommend? Lorex seems to be a good name from some reviews I scrolled over.

Edited by Guest

I don't really have a specific budget. Nothing crazy expensive. I don't need top of the line hardware. I'd like decent quality cameras though to be able to capture some finer details should anything happen.

Good starting kit .... 8 way NVR with 2 4mp cameras

https://www.lorextechnology.com/hd-ip-security-camera-system/8-channel-ip-security-camera-system-with-2k-resolution-cameras/HDIP82W-1-p

https://www.lorextechnology.com/hd-ip-security-camera-system/8-channel-ip-security-camera-system-with-2k-resolution-cameras/HDIP82W-1-p

Just finished editing my other post when you sent this. Looks like Lorex is a good name then. I'll look into this one and see what's out there.

Thanks!

Just finished editing my other post when you sent this. Looks like Lorex is a good name then. I'll look into this one and see what's out there.

Thanks!

Hi. Look at buying from lorex and not Costco they are not the same spec units

Hi. Look at buying from lorex and not Costco they are not the same spec units

Will do!

I noticed that kit you posted comes with 2 60 foot ethernet cables. While those are rather lengthy, depending on how I may need to run it through the house. I may need an alertnative. From briefly reading over some posts, it seems like that powerline adapter would be an excellent solution. Does that work with any system like this? Also, can these cameras on the NVR systems be viewed on any computer in the house through a local IP address or only through a monitor hooked up to the unit itself?

Yes you can use power line but you will loose the option for auto setup and you can't use Poe

Best option in make your own leads with cat5