rory

2 buildings

Im doing a job, its 2 stores buildings are side by side, about 100' from the DVR to the other store's cameras. Im running multi twisted pair. This will do the alarm, Telco, Router, and CCTV.

Im going to use Baluns as the guy does not want to spend that much, and 100' or less should be ok. He has already bought the cameras and they are all High Res Professional GE cameras, and 1 Wide Dynamic (hope this one works this time! )

Im installing a 4 port Altronix Power supply in the 2nd store. Question is, how much likely is it that I may get ground loop as the cameras and monitor are powered in 2 seperate buildings?

I realise I can use an active UTP hub like from NVT etc, that will get rid of this issue if it were to occur, but they are more $$$ than the baluns and as it is only 4 cameras ... Worst case scenerio I will have him buy the active Hub, but if I can save and get the same image then Ill rather the Baluns for this app.

Anyway ..anyone have an idea let me know plz

thanks

Rory

Hi rory,

If the cameras are 12v DC, and the case is insulated from any contact with metalwork, you shouldn't have any problem.

Incidentally, check your PM's when you have a moment.

got the pm thanks, just havent had a chance to dig into it yet..

they are 24VAC cameras or at least the power supply is, and are mounted to wood only.

Rory

In our neighbourhood, it's standard practice to earth 24v AC cameras, so there's exactly the same risk of earth loop, as if they were mains voltage.

That's the main reason why I prefer 12v DC and hardly ever use 24v AC.

Hi Rory:

Do your cams have built-in GF protection? If so, it's not a problem. If not, switch to samsung, they have it built-in. (Never a problem with them and they are comparably priced here in Dallas) This would only apply to cams mounted on metal or grounded.

I really don't thing it would be a problem any as I have on had it happen to me when the cams were grounded.

Grounding to earth may still present a problem if the potential is different between the 2 ground rods. Better to play it safe and keep all remote cams from ground via mounting or enclosure.

If they are mounted to wood (no ground unless wet) you should not have any problem at all.

Hi, Dont know will have to check, they are GE Cam Plus. They are just mounted to wood, no metal anywhere.

Thanks

Rory