ccolvard

How to do this?

Holiday greetings!

I have a mall that rents spaces to individual tenants that want 1 camera (some want 4) to view/record activity in their rental spaces. There are 600 tenants, each need the abilility to remote view, playback and record events.

This sounds like a PC based system with network access, hovever, I have no experience with these. Can you guys help me figure this one out?

SPECS:

1. Multiple users accessing remotely to view, playback & record.

2. Expanable system up to 200-300 users (caameras).

3. Remote administration.

4. Remote security only allows user to view their cams/image files.

Please let me know your ideas and comments.

Thanks,

Chris Colvard

www.video-insight.com Only hitch I can see is that a DVR system handles 16 camera's per system, so, your tied to lumping 16 camera's/stores on each server. Not a problem, just 16 "tenants" will shre the same server, but, you can limit all 16 to their own camera's via passwords and privledges. That's approx. 16 servers, 256 camera's. 16 power supplies, and lots of cable to run. Add in the internet access of 16 seperate IP address's, and you'll be in all set.

If you need someone to come out and work this with you, just ask..................I'll come out and help.

Contact Video Insight for more.

CColvard,

This sound effectively like a webserver based applicaiton, on which camera's can viewed in live or recorded mode via a standard internet browser, so it also connectable via the outside world in an easy way.

But I haven't seen any 16+ systems like that.

We have a web server as part of our application, and a web client. We also have a network client for viewing video over a LAN. But at the lowest layer we have a server application that is doing the encoding of the analogue system. Most of our cards support 16 cameras but our new 240 fps card can have a daughter card added to support up to 32 cameras.

Holiday greetings!

1. Multiple users accessing remotely to view, playback & record.

2. Expanable system up to 200-300 users (caameras).

3. Remote administration.

4. Remote security only allows user to view their cams/image files.

Looking away from IP or PC based systems, this is how it can be done with stand alone embedded DVRs like Kalatel:

Ideally you would use Twisted Pair, with Active Transceivers, price goes up but it would be best.

Each Kalatel DVR allows 20 users connecting remotely, whether it is the 4, 10 or 16 channel DVRs.

hard disk size depends on the amount of cameras and recording lengh you want but it is unlimited with Kalatel DVRs as they also have an external storage device. ($$)

If say 16 stores in a row, only want 1 camera each, or 14 want 1 camera each, but another wants 2 cameras, then use 1x16 channel DVR to cover them. You can set up the remote software for different users, to view only selected cameras per user, so say you set user 2 to view camera 2 only, thats all he will see remotely. This can be done various ways, the smaller channel DVR you use, the faster the recording of the cameras will be, and the more users that can connect at one time.

Also, Kalatel's Remote Software allows a Remote/networked multi view of up to 16 DVRs and 64 cameras in one window, for adminstrators/security, example, on HD Plasmas/LCDs. Use Multiple PCs for Multiple DVR groups.

Anyway, thats one way. Or you can simply go IP camera like my prvious post, recording is rackmounted from a central location, use the IP cameras, or other/existing Cameras with their video Servers, then use their software. Ive never tested their products, YET, but I certainly plan to, as I can write my own software also. For me it will primarily be for Remote Video Monitoring.

Rory

Hi Rory:

Which Kalatel 16 do you recommend? This sounds like a low cost option that will work. Do you know if I can add my own hard drives to these units?

Where can I get more information on these DVR's and remote software? Is it GE or who?

I like the ability to add more imbedded DVR's as I go. Anyone had any experience leasing something like this to users like this.

I was planning on charging a set-up (installation fee), plus a monthly fee for the number of cameras at the location.

All feedback is welcome. Thanks again!

hate to admit it, but this is a perfect solution for I.P cameras, you can get a massive recording server and use software to gain access to any single camera... mind you all 600 at once sending video is a bandwidth nightmare