mitbug2

Please help with selection.

Hi all...first time posting here...been looking for help for the past months. Stumbled onto this site...exactly what i'm been looking for...but being an amateur...got very lost. Hopes someone could provides me with ideas, help to what exactly what i needed...

This is the situation...my resident been broken in twice in the past 2 years, the last one was last month on a Thursday at 2pm. Both times, the break in occured in the back yard at the back window and door. The back yard is very secluded ( that probably why it's happend in the back). I do have alarm system contract with a major company and it's monitored, but apprently its did not deter the crooks. so i needs a system (probably 3 cameras, monitor, recorder, etc...) The major factor when select this system is that the camera will be mounted out side which will expose to rain, fog, heat and dust (there are no soffit on my roof). The price of the system should be moderate (not the best there is) but should last. Please provide (if possible) what, where, how many of each should i get. Thank you very much.

4 channel stand-alone DVR with motion-detection, and 4 cameras... but lots of things will determine the lowest-priced cameras for your needs...

If you really only need to record them during a burglary, the solution is easier... record from inside on the entry doors, window, or hall they must travel through.. keep all cameras & recorder hidden, so they don't hide their faces while taking your cameras... (use 'pinhole' cameras)

Indoors you'll get better results for your money, since the lighting & distances are all stable.

If you need to record them before entry, outdoors, it gets more costly on the cameras... lenses & light differences, etc... Still not too tough, depending on the sorroundings. PM me with specifics (mobile-home, rental, surroundings, etc) and I can help more...

What kind of alarm is it? Id install some yard beams if possible, stop them before they get to break into your home, plus have the cameras outside so you can record them. Thats how my set up is here Use some low lux Exview BW Bullets. I just started selling some that see in almost no light.

Thanks Eganson for reply to my post...I have been reading alot from this forum, trying to learn as much as I can (which I did). I now narrow it down to speco bullet type cameras (water proof of course), b/w and stand alone 4 channels dvr. I'm not sure on what is the best set up : Inside vs OUtside. Initially I wanted to installed outside as a deterence, so they don't break my door and window again, but if any one have any idea or suggestion I'm greatly appreciated.

Install an Optex Beam, accross the area you want to protect, and if not already, at least a 15 watt Siren in a box with a tamper to set off the siren if it is tampered with. Have someone tie that into your existing alarm control. If they are breaking in at night, make sure you have good lighting, or at least some motion sensor lights. Post some Alarm Signs or CCTV Signs around, maybe a Beware Of Dog Sign also.

Whats the lighting like in your yard? Will depend for the type of camera to get.

Also, bullet cameras are not neccassarily a deterent, as most people wont see them initially. You could buy some Housings and put the bullet cameras in those. If it is just a deterrent, Videolarm has a housing with a blinking red light on it.

Rory

Edited by Guest

Thanks rory for replying to my post...I've learn alot from reading your post...The alarm system is ADT, im don't know anything about the yard beam but sound good...also im not sure its going to do any good because where I live, it's almost like a ghost town during business hours (9-4pm).

Hello Rory...my house is well lit at night both front and back yard with fluorescent lighting plus i also have landscape lighting come on when dark and go off about 3am. Just a reminder Rory...both break in happened during day time (12-3pm).

Okay then:

http://www.spytown.com/cvc-130r.html

http://www.spytown.com/ach8w.html

http://www.spytown.com/kfl13.html

they dont have of the cheap DVRs on Spytown, but if you want I can PM you where to get some from.

Ill have a web site set up soon for retail sales of the cheap cheap ones, but just havent dont it as yet. It will ship direct from the Distrubutor to the client, still working out that part. Their cameras are even cheaper than Provideo Bullets, and they have the dead cheap 4 channel DVR.

Rory

Almost forgot...I do post sign with ADT both side of my house, most window with the ADT sticker...but did not do any good. The alarm people (ADT) call and informs that the alarm go off at 219pm and call the police at 222pm...I got home from work at 245pm, police arrive at 4pm after I call them (911) again when I realized that the house was indeed broken in (246pm). So there you go....what there for me to do?

Hey Rory...I don't mind paying for a well made piece of the equipment ( there are limit) at a reasonable price. Some one told me once or twice...buy the best equipment you could afford for the job will serve you well in the future. The camera I was looking at is the speco cvc325wp B/W waterproof (outdoor-rain). But if you know of a "good" but "cheap" the better huh Rory? Please let me know. Thanks

Beams and a loud siren, to scare them not to alert the neighbors.

Also bullet cameras to record, if you can afford it, you can also add just some dummy cameras in housings around the yard also, just to fake them. Dummy cams in housings are cheap.

Hey Rory...I don't mind paying for a well made piece of the equipment ( there are limit) at a reasonable price. Some one told me once or twice...buy the best equipment you could afford for the job will serve you well in the future. The camera I was looking at is the speco cvc325wp B/W waterproof (outdoor-rain). But if you know of a "good" but "cheap" the better huh Rory? Please let me know. Thanks

Thats a good Bullet, I have had them here for over 3 years still working, outdoors.

Hello Rory or any one...any recomendation on a good but reasonable stand alone, 4 channels dvr (for example: GE Interlogix (kalatel) Storesafe). Thanks

The StoreSafe is definately a good one, but not sure if you want to spend the $$ on it for this application? Do you need Remote Video also? There is a very cheap one, stable, no LAN, for under $500. The StoreSafe 4 channel is around $1400-1600.

Hi Rory...I'm just looking for one that the easiest to hook up the cameras to it and to the monitor for my residental use. If you know of a decent one at reasonable price please let me know. Thanks again.

Hi Rory...I'm just looking for one that the easiest to hook up the cameras to it and to the monitor for my residental use. If you know of a decent one at reasonable price please let me know. Thanks again.

I sent you a PM, let me know if you need any more info.

Rory

Hi Rory... Call tlhem this morning, put me on hold forever (the contact guy was off)...Anyway, I'm not sure they sell to the public??? On their website, there isn't any price list...Do hope they sell to the public. Thanks Rory.

Here is a nicely laid out website that can help you in choosing the right equipment, especially the DVR. Also don't forget that motion detection lights are also a great deterent in scaring off would be thieves. No one likes light when they are up to no good. Helps with getting a better picture at night also.

http://www.at-fairfax.com/CCTV.htm

Hi Rory... Call tlhem this morning, put me on hold forever (the contact guy was off)...Anyway, I'm not sure they sell to the public??? On their website, there isn't any price list...Do hope they sell to the public. Thanks Rory.

they will sell to you once you mention my name

They basically sell to anyone anyway. Though, remember, they are in Miami, so they ar almost as slow as the Bahamas ...