flathead

Buy a DVR or VCR?

I would like to get some video surveilance on a rental property I own. Preferably asap!

Cost is big issue. Have some cameras to use and will buy 1 or 2 more for total of 4.

Trying to decide between buying a quad and time lapse vcr or invest about the same (400) in a low-end DVR.

Dont really know advantages/disadvantages between these two.

Can i just buy a low end 70.00 quad and run it to a std vcr (that i have now) wired to record only on a motion activated signal? Is this the least exp. way? Just do longplay and check every day or two?

If i thought there were some future value to spending more now figuring to use it at anyother buisness purhaps a year or two from now, then id spend more-but I believe a year or two from now id want IP adressable and prices are allways dropping.

Low end DVR; Like those through Costco... that'll do it for minimum price. Better features, and no tape to buy. No tape to fail. After all, if you see something, you do want to actually SEE it... ~$400.00 or less...

What AV posted, is all you need, better than using a VCR and worrying about Tapes, its all in one, and playback is much easier than a VCR, plus the quality is actually still somewhat better than a VCR even though it is a low res quad DVR. No Lan though ...with LAN versions go for a couple hundred $$ more.

AV, do they have the 9 channel? Where I buy them from there is only a $50 difference so we only sell the 9 channel now.

Thanks for the info guys! Greatly appreciated! javascript:emoticon(':)')

Smile

Ordered the q-see4 from walmart-400. other day and waitting for it. Think it will do for my current purpose. Hope it gets here as promised (5-7).

The camera and placment of has been a learning experience so far. See the need for wide angle and lots a res!

Figured to use couple of ccd units and older jvc camcorder that i already had. Camcorder has the power adapter for ac. Putting it way high in attic vent then zooming down. Stays on.

Still planning to use vcr unit i have by wiring the pause ctrl to motion sensor for close prox. face recognition. Allways handy to have around anyway.

I originally wanted all wireless (of coarse!), but after reading posts from experts in this group discussing it-am going wired. This NG prob saved me a big dissapointment and expence there! Anyother good tip was putting cams behind/above floods wherever possible.

Q: Whats the max distance of wire runs? 150ft ok? Shielded.

Q: I need to buy 1-good B/W outside camera in the under/around 200. range- what would be a good choice? What to look for as far as specs. (IR nice, but i have flooded the property with motion lights anyway).

I know not to use the 380 res cheapo cams...but beyond that im not very educated.

Thanks again!

james. (flathead as in river fish-my ultimate obsession/passion!).

No, Vitek didn't get the 9 channel. It is from AV in Taiwan, same place yours come from. I think Vitek is getting out of all non networkable DVRs in the future. Too many out there being blown out. The Eclipse DVR and Vitek are the same as far as I know in non network. As you can see, even Walmart is carrying them now. No profit in it anymore. At least the Walmarts are probably staying away from networkable because of the tech support needed.