XXX

Scope camera

How would I go about making a scope camera for a rifle? Kind of like they do at live-shot?

yeah but then what are they going to do, they have to drop the laser sometime ..

aint gun, that will do it permanantly.

I'm talking about a camera that can be actually mounted to the end of the scope so that what is being viewed in the scope including crosshairs can be viewed.

I'm talking about a camera that can be actually mounted to the end of the scope so that what is being viewed in the scope including crosshairs can be viewed.

But if I remember right, live-shot was a camera mounted Next to the rifle. Not on the rifle. I guess you would get a camera with the focal lengh you want, mount a glass filter with the crosshairs on it to the lens? Or maybe they add the crosshairs digitally somewhere in the process? Or a glass plate w/crosshairs in front of the lens? Maybe you could use a lazer sight? That would be cool and easy. Then just sight the rifle. (fire rifle, adjust camera/crosshairs to match point of impact. The Camera/crosshairs part seems easy to workout. The challenging part is: What to do with the contraption?

the camera view and scope view will always be different.

Basically the camera focal point of a camera with a fixed lens never changes, unless it is a zoom camera lens, and that needs to be controlled somehow.

When you say rifle, what exactly is it for? As far as I know a rifle is used to kill???? I'm definately no fan of the so called "sport" of hunting.

Rory

To get a good view through the scope, maybe use a varifocal lens and align it to the scope. Then zoom it in until the field of view matches that of the scope... when the FOV of the camera is wider, it still works, but the scope view is just a 'viewing-spot' in the center...

A PTZ camera that 'reaches out & touches' could be fun, using water, paintballs, tear gas, laser dazzler or whatever... beware the legalities though! Here come the lawyers....

Sorry, I have to say this: Though I think that video and robotic technology is some of the coolest stuff, it's not very "sportsmanlike" to hunt deer or boar with a robotically controlled long-range rifle.

Of course, then there's that "Day of the Jackal" thing too...

I must agree on the 'hunting' issue; that whole 'live-shot' thing is really stupid. Might as well call a video-game 'hunting'...

Painballing humans could be fun though... especially if they're in the process of committing a crime. Perimiter deterrance & subject ID come to mind. Some obvious military applications, also... One rather alarming aspect is the possibility of criminal misuse of this application.

I have no ill intentions. More interested in the ability to take feed off of a scope like device or telescope type instrument and feed it into a monitor. By the way, I'm not a hunter but I have nothing against hunting. Just eat what you kill.

I'm cool, as long as you don't eat me.....

Well if the situation got to that point you've got bigger problems than me gnawing on your arm!

If his is what you are referring to as a threat. Get real. I never said I was going to shoot anybody. I was just saying that if you follow the logic, the only way I'd be eating you was if I shot you. Period. I never said I was going to shoot anybody. Show me where I did. I even put the laughing dude at the end of the sentence. I was laughing with you.

9/11 or not, you people are acting wacky on this one. Go back and read the thread. There's nothing malitious about this thread at all.

If you are really as concerned about this stuff as you say you are, you need to go back to every wireless camera thread, digital recording thread, and basically every thread about surveillance and post a disclaimer on each and every thread. If you don't then lay off. Petition to get this forum shut down if you are really so worried.

Edited by Guest

Hey guys,

Hunting aside (I'll keep my views to myself on that one), the use of a scope mounted camera is actually very easy, if you know how.

The problem is, we don't know who is viewing this forum, and with the best will in the world, providing basic imformation which can equally benefit criminals or terrorists, is possibly not the way to go.

Sorry XXX, but in this situation I think I'd better keep my optical suggestions, firmly under control.

I agree Cooperman, the bits & pieces of info we share will never go away... being collected by who knows who.. I'm sometimes annoyed at what 'tips' I see people giving out with the obvious intention of helping society's miscreants. Another issue could be a matter of how many trade secrets we want to give away...

As for telescopes, some are already using C/CS mounted cctv cameras. As for viewing optically along with a video-out, one would need to look...........

You can always search the US Patent & Trademark Office for ideas

I'm sorry but give me a break. Sound like we should shut down this whole forum because somebody might learn something that could be used wrong. Hello, we are dealing with surveillance.

How is a scope mounted cam going to aid somebody to do wrong. It's whole heck of a lot easier to just look down a scope and pull the trigger than mount a camera to it and do it through a monitor.

Sorry, but I thing you are way off base on this one.

If you'll refrain from the threats, I'll ask one very speciific question:

What are you trying to do here?

I think we all understand how the "world has changed" since 9/11, so this type of question has more weight than it did before that event.

Commercially available products exist for video off of the scope, though setting one up to remotely shoot something, AND actually hit it, is an entirely different matter. No so feasible, and of high cost and high failure rate, unless hardwired... then you aren't so remote any more. And you're caught or hit.

Sales restricted to Law Enforcement & Government only... not really rocket science to invent one yourself anyhow...

If you'll refrain from the threats, I'll ask one very speciific question:

What are you trying to do here?

I think we all understand how the "world has changed" since 9/11, so this type of question has more weight than it did before that event.

Please show me where I'm threatening anybody.

Commercially available products exist for video off of the scope, though setting one up to remotely shoot something, AND actually hit it, is an entirely different matter. No so feasible, and of high cost and high failure rate, unless hardwired... then you aren't so remote any more. And you're caught or hit.

Sales restricted to Law Enforcement & Government only... not really rocket science to invent one yourself anyhow...

My application has nothing to do with a gun at all. Period. I want to be able to use a rangefinder type device and be able to record the field of view including crosshairs as well as display information shown.

I repeat, my application has NOTHING to do with a gun. Damn you people are uptight. I have no desire to remotely control anything except for my television and garage door.

The only reason I even mentioned live-shot was because it was brought up in a different thread and was the closest thing to the application I was looking for.

Group hug??

Originally posted by XXX:

How would I go about making a scope camera for a rifle? Kind of like they do at live-shot?

My application has nothing to do with a gun at all

XXX,

Your opening post used the words scope and rifle in the first sentence, so you can hardly be surprised if we took your request literally, and in good faith. Perhaps with hindsight, if you'd explained exactly what it is you are trying to do, the correct information could have been forwarded to you by PM.

How is a scope mounted cam going to aid somebody to do wrong. It's whole heck of a lot easier to just look down a scope and pull the trigger than mount a camera to it and do it through a monitor.

Sorry, but I thing you are way off base on this one

If you talk to anyone in the U.K. (or indeed certain other parts of Europe) about past terrorist attacks, they will tell you that there have been previous incidents where remotely detonated munitions have been used, and fortunately without the benefit of remote target monitoring, were significantly less devastating than they could have been.

The military experts on this forum would probably agree that the main difference between a rifle, a mortar or an RPG is how big a bang they make; and yet they (and worse) can all be used remotely, if the will is there.

You may not want to remote control anything significant, but others may have different ideas.

Having personally worked in the past on sites that have experienced 'unwanted visitations', the sensible thing to do in a publicly viewable forum, is to be economical with information that can be used by some others, in a less than acceptable way.

If you think that such an attitude is 'up tight', then being the gentlemen that we are, we will agree to differ.

Personally I would have to say I much prefer to be uptight and professional, rather than forthright and regretful.

Group hugs .... not sure about that one, us Brits are famous for the 'stiff upper lip'.

Maybe cyber hand shakes all round might be the way to go

Group hugs .... not sure about that one, us Brits are famous for the 'stiff upper lip'.

Maybe cyber hand shakes all round might be the way to go

Sounds good to me. I have no problem if admin wants to delete this thread. I never got what I was looking for anyway. Maybe I should have asked for a camera that would fit on the end of a telescope so I can view the beautiful expanse of the heavens. Would that be more politically correct?

The reality of it is there are many more threads on this forum that could be more harmful than asking about a scope camera. It doesn't take much creativity to take the information we share and use it for detrimental purposes. Should the whole forum be taken down then? I don't think so. There's probably more harm done on this board to individuals by trade secrets and pricing that are given out than this thread.

Just my .02

Like I said, "kill" this post, but I'm not going to eat it!

The reality of it is there are many more threads on this forum that could be more harmful than asking about a scope camera. It doesn't take much creativity to take the information we share and use it for detrimental purposes. Should the whole forum be taken down then? I don't think so. There's probably more harm done on this board to individuals by trade secrets and pricing that are given out than this thread.

I new we'd agree on something in the end

It's strange to consider that some of the technology which was embargoed not that many years ago, is now readily available in the market place. In the early '80's, movement tracking was a definite no no, simply because it could be used by the military in other less friendly countries. Now anyone can get their hands on it.

Another few years and we'll all be playing with millimetric imaging, but for now, we're just not worthy