Sign in to follow this  
rory

Infrared system

Here is an Infrared System I installed, originally had Provideo IR Bullets but they didnt work in the pitch dark, OUTSIDE, even with extra IR LED Lighting. So we upgraded, as client has the money for the best, I installed as follows:

General Cameras

6 Extreme CCTV EX82 Day Night Cameras 480TVL Color, 420TVL BW (IR to 150+')

Dome Camera - Front Door

1 ExtremeCCTV Ex45 Day Night Dome, LXR, 480TVL

1 WhizKid (ExtremeCCTV Div) IR Dome

Specialty Camera - Driveway

1 Sanyo Day Night 4594 520TVL

1 Extreme CCTV Large outdoor Housing (came in a kit)

2 Extreme CCTV UF500 IR LEDS (400+' IR)

1 Extreme CCTV Pole Mount

1 Extreme CCTV UF500 Dual 24VAC Power Supply Weatheproof Box

General

1 Samsung 21" Color Monitor

1 TimeLapse VCR (not currently used, upgrading to DVR)

1 Channel Vision TV Modulator (to Cable TV Channel 72, watches on all 5 44 / 50" Plasma TVs, and Big Screen Movie TV, and staff's 13" TV)

NOTE: The EX82s are the best overall Day Night camera i have seen, after testing many other solutions, from extremecctv's day night traditional camera, sanyo day night, Kalatel, and a range of bullet cameras. Even gives the best outdoor day time color picture I have seen from color cameras of many different brands. Unfortunately the 4-8mm varifocal lens is limiting, but still okay (wouldnt mind 3-16mm). They come with built in fan and heater option.

Edited by Guest

Another nice system Rory.

I think people thinking of putting systems together will find this information valuable in their decision making process. In my opinion, readings trials and errors from people who install video systems is much more valuable than reading product brochures.

Another nice system Rory.

I think people thinking of putting systems together will find this information valuable in their decision making process. In my opinion, readings trials and errors from people who install video systems is much more valuable than reading product brochures.

I agree also. I trialed and errored with a few low light color cameras also from alot of different manufacturers, will post that info on here as soon as I get my home computer back up (mboard fried).

Had you tried the Wide Dynamic camera range from Ganz?

Do you mean the Thermal?

There is a huge difference. The images are the same day and night with Thermal. This means no Color image during th day. Also, you will never be able to make out the persons face, as it only picks up heat.

It is a great technology though, but pretty expensive also. It would be great for night time surveillance or long range surveillance such as police helicopters, large industrial plants, etc.

Not thermal, They are low light cameras, BLC options are available but with the Wide Dynamics they can choose a part of the camera to adust lighting problems in and allow for much better identification under low light especialy if movement occurs in lit background areas where the rest of the environment has low light.

However Ganz do a Thermal option but it is very expensive.

Rory,

Since you've had a lot of experience with Extreme IR Illuminators, I hope you can help with a question. I picked up a used UF500 illuminator. Works great, but that bad-boy *really* heats up! How hot should these units get? Mine gets almost too hot to touch. Also, do you know where I can download an instruction manual? Extreme doesn't appear to have manuals available on their website.

On a related topic, I also received two WizKid WZ12s. While they're no way as strong as the UF500, they work fine for up to about 50 feet. My only complaint is that there doesn't appear to be a way to change the bulb, if they even have one. So I guess you just throw away these units when the burn out.

Finally i get to answer something I know first hand

Yes, the UF500 does get hot to touch, just dont let it lean up against any dry leaves! Its a pretty amzing piece of equipment actually, if you see the size of the bulb it uses, its tiny ...costs like $50 to replace, and only had to do so after 2 years with one of them, and 3 years with the other, just a little while ago.

The Wz12s .. good question, As far a I know they are simple LEDs, which can have a life as long as 10 years. Either way at $120 after a few years it is cheap enough to chuck out and buy a new one. I think they have a replacement front LED kit for it, I emailed my contact and will let you know.

Rory

Thanks Rory.

Another question: How do you adjust the sensitivity of the photocell on the UF500 power supply?

BTW, the power supply is one serious piece of hardware! What the heck is that big heavy round thing for? My best guess is it's some sort of miniture particle accelerator for smashing atoms.

You can adjust the day night switching using the power supply as that is where the photocell is located. Not sure if there was an adjustment in there or not, as I never needed it. You can also connect a switch to manually turn it on and off.

Rory

I think this link may have been posted here before but I thought this was a good place to repost it. I ordered the 72 LED array from this site (invisible IR wavelength) for $34.95 and it works great. The only problem is that you have to construct your own enclosure. I am not affiliated with the company in any way but thought I would pass along the info for what it's worth. http://dalewheat.com/ir.php

On a related topic, I also received two WizKid WZ12s. While they're no way as strong as the UF500, they work fine for up to about 50 feet. My only complaint is that there doesn't appear to be a way to change the bulb, if they even have one. So I guess you just throw away these units when the burn out.

"Anticipated LED bulb life is 5+ years. This is with a standard photocell

configuration. When they burn out you have to replace the unit."

Extreme CCTV Technical Support/Sales

I think this link may have been posted here before but I thought this was a good place to repost it. I ordered the 72 LED array from this site (invisible IR wavelength) for $34.95 and it works great. The only problem is that you have to construct your own enclosure. I am not affiliated with the company in any way but thought I would pass along the info for what it's worth. http://dalewheat.com/ir.php

how many watts does it use?

also, wouldnt mind knowing what materials were need to build it, how its powered, photo cell, etc.. Sounds like something i could do for my own appt.

By the way, for anyone considering WizKid WZ12 units, be forewarned that you have to remove the circuit board from the unit to adjust the photocell sensitivity or the light output volume.

The problem is that the board is held in place by two screws that go through two brass spacers that hold the back of the board proud of the mounting platform. It's nearly impossible to place the spacers back into place behind the circuit board. This is something they don't mention in the instructions.

also, wouldnt mind knowing what materials were need to build it, how its powered, photo cell, etc.. Sounds like something i could do for my own appt.

Rory - It uses 750mA at 12V (does that answer your question on watts? I'm pretty ignorant on these things ).

As far as materials, for the $34.95 you just get an assembled circuit board with the 72 leds and necessary resistors. The rest of the assembly (housing, photo cell, etc) is left for the purchaser.

I never constructed a housing - I just powered it up and looked at the illumination with a cheapo ($150 retail) camera I had that came with installed 840nm LEDS (with the 840's disconnected). In total darkness I could see no glowing from the 72 LED board but through the camera it looked like I was shining a spotlight. I was totally impressed and wondered why the original manufacturer of the cheapo camera could not just install the 940nm LEDS . It doesn't seem like it would take too much for a person with a little electronics smarts to do something like this and I would think there would definitely be a market for this but apparently not.

Rory - It uses 750mA at 12V (does that answer your question on watts? I'm pretty ignorant on these things ).

As far as materials, for the $34.95 you just get an assembled circuit board with the 72 leds and necessary resistors. The rest of the assembly (housing, photo cell, etc) is left for the purchaser.

I never constructed a housing - I just powered it up and looked at the illumination with a cheapo ($150 retail) camera I had that came with installed 840nm LEDS (with the 840's disconnected). In total darkness I could see no glowing from the 72 LED board but through the camera it looked like I was shining a spotlight. I was totally impressed and wondered why the original manufacturer of the cheapo camera could not just install the 940nm LEDS . It doesn't seem like it would take too much for a person with a little electronics smarts to do something like this and I would think there would definitely be a market for this but apparently not.

thats pretty good, as most cameras do not recognise 900nm's.

By the way, for anyone considering WizKid WZ12 units, be forewarned that you have to remove the circuit board from the unit to adjust the photocell sensitivity or the light output volume.

The problem is that the board is held in place by two screws that go through two brass spacers that hold the back of the board proud of the mounting platform. It's nearly impossible to place the spacers back into place behind the circuit board. This is something they don't mention in the instructions.

I never had a need to adjust it..why were you..?

When the light goes off, the Infrared comes on

Remember Extreme's IR products are designed for night time apps, where there is little or no light.

Ofourse their Integrated cams like the Ex-82, has easy adjustments for all of this..you can adjust the IR level, swtching level to IR, switching level to BW..and more.

They now have an Ex-80 lower cost, a WZ-46 with no IR, just Day night, and a ex27MNX that is a day night with 60-75' IR.

Rory

Got it. But the idea is to maximize the life of the Wiz units and, in the case of the UF500, save enery. (I could heat a room with the heat it puts out.)

did you check the UF500's photo cell in the power supply if there is a level adustment screw? I can check when i go to the location here, next couple days..?

Location also plays an important part to when the photocell turns the power on.

Thanks Rory,

Regarding the UF500, as far as I can tell so far, the photocell is working as I would have set it.

My big challenge at this point is making the best use of the 30-deg illumination in the confines of my 120x70 -foot (or so) backyard. I might be able to make more practical use of this bad-boy in the front yard. However, if I were to start over, I'd go with two UF100 60-deg units for the backyard.

Lesson learned: When selecting IR illuminators, the spread spec is more important than the power spec.