flipdoggiedog

CCTV for remote Concrete Batching

Hello...Great site lots of good information. First off let me state that I'm definatly a newbie to CCTV. Any suggestions would be helpful.

I've been assigned the project of allowing our Concrete Batchman the ability to see the trucks that he's loading. The Batch House(this is where the computer that controls the batching of the concrete) is approx. 250' away from where the concrete is loaded into the trucks.

The company would like to use 4 color cameras installed on the Batch Plant. Here's where my questions start to come in:

They would like to have all camera's on their own monitor...No recording needed, just viewing in realtime...I'm guessing this is possible, with out much hassle .

They would like the cameras to have PTZ and heated/cooled enclosures were in Western Pa. The camera's also need good night vison..Any suggestions on these cameras?

Last question and probably most important....Is this a project that I can tackle? I have a strong background in computers as well as some CCTV/DVR installs.

Any information you guys/girls can provide would be helpful.

Thanks

Glenn

The simple method would be to get four monitors and run co-ax to four cameras. Is PTZ really a requirement? Because it will push up the price by roughly a factor of four.

My bosses are telling me that PTZ is a definate requirement, pricing is not that much of a concern. You know bosses hehe...If it was something that I needed I'd have to do it on the cheap...

Is it even possible to control 4 camera's with one joystick and have the output to to 4 different monitors?

Thanks for the reply

Any suggestions on what equiptment I should use? Like I said in my first post, I've done a couple DVR/CCTV projects but nothing like this one. I just want to make sure its done correctly.

Thanks for the post Joe4, but I'm looking for each camera to have its own monitor and all 4 cameras to use the same PTZ controller.

check CyberDome 25X Day Night from Kalatel, Keypad, 15" Color Monitor each ..what else do you need to know?

Simple solution. What you need is not an encoding function but a decoding function. In essence a matrix switch capability where you can call up a particular camera to a particular monitor. You can either do this with an older type matrix switcher with 4inputs 4outputs or you can buy a 4-input virtual matrix and run it IP. The IP route is better because you have more control. As far as cabling look into running Cat5E 350MHz with Video Baluns. You can get longer runs than with coax and less signal loss. If you run Cat5 make sure you run video and power in two separate cables. Since you have 4-pair in a Cat5 you can run multiple runs but do not mix power and video on same cable.

hi

if money is not a problem go to www.pelco.com

and get top of the line nitrogen wiper model ~5k

for nite piggyback a low lux bw ~5k on top

(Ultra-wide Illumination Dynamic Range (10-4 to 10+4 lux)

http://www.intevac.com/ivac/FileLib/NightVista.pdf

http://www.intevac.com/imaging_pages.asp?CMS_ID=127

and 4 color + 4 bw monitors for a system

and let as see how it works

dusan

Hi

We would use Merit Lilin Domes which are available with 17, 22 or 25 x Zoom (25x = day night). You can use these with 1 x controller/joystick and set up preset positions that can be accessed by a touch of a button. They can also be sent on preset tours.

Just connect each camera up to a 14 or 15 inch monitor.

Just a thought, these cameras are also available with IP facilities for only a little more money which would help future proof the installation.

Thanks for all your responses, lots of good information pertaining to my situtation.

So what should I do with power.....I'm guessing if I run it in the same cat5 cable, I'll get interference?

If the cameras are going on the batching plant don't they have mains electric power there that you could use?

Thats a good question, as far as I know all the power is located inside in the electrical room directly under the batch room.

Damm guys, OK the guy needs something, but damm, don't make him go that over 2K per camera route. Plus one thing that it hasn't been explained is that if you get the DVR and Cameras, you should get it all from the same dealer, because that will give you much better support and compartablity issues between the DVR and the PTZ domes are going to be worked out. NOt all DVR'S control all PTZ Cameras. With the proper support from whoever you buy the equipment from, you should be able to tackle this job with ease.

Plus for wirring, if it's not too far, I mean, if it's not going to be like 500 feet away, (you metioned 250 feet.) Use RG-59/18AWG wire, plus a cat5 connection for the PTZ controls. Believe me, it will be MUCH easier this way.

I no longer use CAT5, as it is too easy for it to grab interferince, wheather you are using a balum or not. plut, I'm sorry guys, but it is CHEAPER.

1000' Feet of coax siamese, it's around $145. You get a 1000' feet of CAT5, let's say at home depot, for 60.00, then you are going to spend around $30-50 for video balums (you need 2 per cam), now you are looking at: $180-$220 for the wiring.

Sent you a PM

I don't think he wants to record the images.

The lilin domes & controller are by the same manufacturer & reasonably cheap. He wants to use 4 monitors, so nothing else is needed. You could use any monitors or lilin monitors.

That is the first time i have ever heard anyone say that siamese is cheaper. The prices you are quoting on cat5 and baluns are beyond even the highest retail prices. Also you should look at the statistics of quality of video on unstructured twisted pair vs. coax. You can also run a lot longer on Cat5 and if there is a problem with "leakage" or anything else which if you pull correctly is not an issue, you always have a spare pair.

actually, i tried the Cat5 without baluns, just video, and it wont work, just alot of lines, can see the video, but ... and with just 1 balun, stll a few lines ..better but not great. With a balun, much less quality than same distance with Coax. I just ran 800+ feet of coax and was much clearer than a balun on cat5 at 150'.

However with active tx and Rx with cat5 . .perfect video

Rory

for lilin you will need the lilin DVR no??

The guy does not want to record.

If there is local power then he can just run RG59 and 4 core alarm cable for the telemetry.

P.S. A Lilin dome will work with Geovision.