Arctic Autowash

Security System for a Car Wash

I own a car wash with 8 wand wash bays and a touchless. I'm looking to put in around 10 - 12 cameras. Need some help picking the right cameras / DVRs for my requirements

Here are some requirements:

- 16 Channel DVR with at least 1 TB of storage and must be able to view the cameras at anytime using my Blackberry (or internet connection anywhere).

- Cameras *MUST* be waterproof. One to two of the cameras will be going inside the touchless itself and could be exposed to direct water spray. As well, the cameras going in the wand wash could easily get sprayed with the high pressure wand if some customer gets annoyed and decides to try and destroy it.

- All cameras *MUST* be able to to survive in a high humidity environment. It is a car wash.

- Car wash is Bay style, so entrance door opens, you drive into your choice of eight stalls, and then exit though the exit door located at the other end of the car wash. Someone told me this means I need a wide dynamic camera.

- Cameras should be rated to survive weather of -40°C. Yes it does get that cold here, and a few cameras might be outside

- Vandal Resistant

- Sometimes it gets extremely foggy inside the car wash, you can not see more than a few feet in front of you. Cameras should be able to handle this as best as possible.

- Looking to capture faces and licence plates, cameras should be clear enough to do so.

- Dome or Bullet? Some people have suggested using all dome, others have suggested a combo of dome and bullet.

There are some pictures of my car wash on our website:

ArcticAutowash.ca

So given the requirements the following equipment has been suggested to me, and I'm trying to figure out which is the best one to go with or if there is something else I should be looking at:

Cameras:

- ES-6008SHDVM23712 : COLOUR Sony Ex-View CCD Armor Dome Camera, 540 Dynamic Colour Resolution, Low Light Amazing .001 Lux, Impact/Vandal/Weather Resistant, Day/Night Sensor, Varifocal Lens 3.7-12mm, Auto Iris -Ceiling & Wall Mount, Dual Voltage 24VAC/12VDC

- Speco CVC-628M Marine Camera- Color Day/Night

- Everfocus EHD-525ex Vandal Dome

- Speco CVC-627 Color Day/Night Waterproof Bullet Camera w/ IR LEDs

- Speco WDR-D3 wide dynamic vandal dome

- Speco SPT-HT7246IHR Color 540 Line Tamperproof VF Dome Camera 9-22mm

- Speco SPT-HT7246IHR Color 540 Line Tamperproof VF Dome Camera 2.8-11mm

- SO-H650IRVFS - Speco Waterproof Color Dome Camera Vari-focal lens High Res

- A-CF540 Camera Color Fixed Dome, 540TVL, 4-9mm VF, DC auto iris

- A-CK540HB - Outdoor housing w/heater & blower and 540TVL True Day/Night Color camera with 5- 60mm vari-focal, auto iris lens

- VDC-485V04 Bosch Weatherproof Dome Camera vari focal high resolution wide dynamic range

DVRs

-Pelco DX4516-1000 DX4500 entry level DVR - 16 camera inputs, 1TB of storage. MPEG4 compression; CIF, 2CIF, 4CIF programmable by channel; 240 IPS; 2 Audio in, 1 out; 8 Alarms In, 2 Relay out, motion activated, remote viewing software.

- Speco 16ch DVR w/1.16 TB hard drive - Think it is this one: Speco DVR16TN1.2TB 16 Channel Triplex DVR w/ IP and DDNS 1.2TB HDD CD/RW

- Open Eye E Series Imbedded DVR 16 Channel 120 FPS @ 1000GB Model #OE2-E12016-

- Speco 16ch DVR w/1.5TB HD - DVR16TN15

As you can see quite a few different options have been given to me, please help me pick the right one, or suggest something better that would meet my needs.

Thanks!

-As you can see quite a few different options have been given to me, please help me pick the right one, or suggest something better that would meet my needs.

Thanks!

Just curios if u dont mind

After u pick your best option

are u going to go with local dealers or buy your self

on internet ( or locally) and then do it your self ?

Thanks

-As you can see quite a few different options have been given to me, please help me pick the right one, or suggest something better that would meet my needs.

Thanks!

Just curios if u dont mind

After u pick your best option

are u going to go with local dealers or buy your self

on internet ( or locally) and then do it your self ?

Thanks

I'd prefer to go with a local dealer - but it will come down to pricing. Some of the local dealers have been quoting prices that are triple the internet costs, even after you take into consideration the dollar price, shipping & handling and warranty.

Pick a dealer that you trust. Pay the extra money, and you will be very happy down the road.

Do you buy your own eggs, and bacon, and then go down to the restaurant, and ask them to cook it for you?

Do you buy your own oil, and filter, and take it down to your mechanic, and ask him to change it for you?

You are paying these people for what they know, and not what the wholeslae cost is.

If you are technically savy such as I am, but time is of the essence then I will change my own oil, and such. In january my car overheated. I paid an auto shop to replace my water pump, and thermostat.

It turned out to be a warped head on the engine. If I had continued to drive the car in the red zone I would have blown the engine.

They had to send out the head to be milled, and then they did a complete valve job, and replaced my broken shroud, and my electric fan.

The electric fan broke a paddle, and it punched a hole in the shroud, and I lost air flow through the radiator, and then the steam punched a pin hole in the radiator, and everything cascaded.

Faced with this, I am not going to sit down with a chilton's book, and teach my self how to tear down a head, and how to rebuild it. I can do if I try.

Experience make the difference. I can take the heads to a machine shop on my own, but in my past experience I find taking header bolts off to be a pain. I cannot keep track of which bolt goes in which hole. Some are short, and some are long.

OK! The real reason that I let the shop do it? I priced all of the mechanic tools that I was going to buy to do the job! YIKES!

I am not the type to rent hand tools. If I am going to pay a rental fee then why not just buy it. Specialty tools are different for a one time use, or the product is just too expensive. It is cheaper to rent a back hoe for a month then to buy one agreed?

What will you do when the camera does not do what it said it could do on paper?

What if when you power everything up, and there is no video?

Oh! You have the technical expertise to fix that! I see!

If that is the case then why are you having these guys come out so that you can pick their brain?

Read some of these post where people are having problems, and you can see real fast that you may need someone down the road to help you.

Edited by Guest

Nice car wash! I have worked on the construction of a few car washes so I can appreciate the work involved. Especially the pump racks and such.

I don't know much about the cameras you listed. But just wanted to point out that facial recognition and license plate capture can be tricky. You may need to dedicate a couple (or more) cameras just for that. If you rely on a camera with a wider overview shot of the wash you won't catch a good facial shot of a person. Just take a look at any of the "caught on video" shows and you will see you can't really ID a person unless the face fills about a 1/3rd or 1/2 of the frame. Anything less then that and you will likely only be able to identify the person if you happen to already know the person.

Facial and license plate shots work best if you capture the shot at a choke point. In your case the license plate capture could be at the entrance door. And the facial capture could perhaps be at the change machine.

Thanks for the tips, but can anyone specifically comment on the equipment I've listed? Is one of the cameras better suited for my requirements than the others?

Thanks!

I own a car wash with 8 wand wash bays and a touchless. I'm looking to put in around 10 - 12 cameras. Need some help picking the right cameras / DVRs for my requirements

Here are some requirements:

- 16 Channel DVR with at least 1 TB of storage and must be able to view the cameras at anytime using my Blackberry (or internet connection anywhere).

- Cameras *MUST* be waterproof. One to two of the cameras will be going inside the touchless itself and could be exposed to direct water spray. As well, the cameras going in the wand wash could easily get sprayed with the high pressure wand if some customer gets annoyed and decides to try and destroy it.

- All cameras *MUST* be able to to survive in a high humidity environment. It is a car wash.

- Car wash is Bay style, so entrance door opens, you drive into your choice of eight stalls, and then exit though the exit door located at the other end of the car wash. Someone told me this means I need a wide dynamic camera.

- Cameras should be rated to survive weather of -40°C. Yes it does get that cold here, and a few cameras might be outside

- Vandal Resistant

- Sometimes it gets extremely foggy inside the car wash, you can not see more than a few feet in front of you. Cameras should be able to handle this as best as possible.

- Looking to capture faces and licence plates, cameras should be clear enough to do so.

- Dome or Bullet? Some people have suggested using all dome, others have suggested a combo of dome and bullet.

There are some pictures of my car wash on our website:

ArcticAutowash.ca

So given the requirements the following equipment has been suggested to me, and I'm trying to figure out which is the best one to go with or if there is something else I should be looking at:

Cameras:

- ES-6008SHDVM23712 : COLOUR Sony Ex-View CCD Armor Dome Camera, 540 Dynamic Colour Resolution, Low Light Amazing .001 Lux, Impact/Vandal/Weather Resistant, Day/Night Sensor, Varifocal Lens 3.7-12mm, Auto Iris -Ceiling & Wall Mount, Dual Voltage 24VAC/12VDC

- Speco CVC-628M Marine Camera- Color Day/Night

- Everfocus EHD-525ex Vandal Dome

- Speco CVC-627 Color Day/Night Waterproof Bullet Camera w/ IR LEDs

- Speco WDR-D3 wide dynamic vandal dome

- Speco SPT-HT7246IHR Color 540 Line Tamperproof VF Dome Camera 9-22mm

- Speco SPT-HT7246IHR Color 540 Line Tamperproof VF Dome Camera 2.8-11mm

- SO-H650IRVFS - Speco Waterproof Color Dome Camera Vari-focal lens High Res

- A-CF540 Camera Color Fixed Dome, 540TVL, 4-9mm VF, DC auto iris

- A-CK540HB - Outdoor housing w/heater & blower and 540TVL True Day/Night Color camera with 5- 60mm vari-focal, auto iris lens

- VDC-485V04 Bosch Weatherproof Dome Camera vari focal high resolution wide dynamic range

DVRs

-Pelco DX4516-1000 DX4500 entry level DVR - 16 camera inputs, 1TB of storage. MPEG4 compression; CIF, 2CIF, 4CIF programmable by channel; 240 IPS; 2 Audio in, 1 out; 8 Alarms In, 2 Relay out, motion activated, remote viewing software.

- Speco 16ch DVR w/1.16 TB hard drive - Think it is this one: Speco DVR16TN1.2TB 16 Channel Triplex DVR w/ IP and DDNS 1.2TB HDD CD/RW

- Open Eye E Series Imbedded DVR 16 Channel 120 FPS @ 1000GB Model #OE2-E12016-

- Speco 16ch DVR w/1.5TB HD - DVR16TN15

As you can see quite a few different options have been given to me, please help me pick the right one, or suggest something better that would meet my needs.

Thanks!

I also have a car wash with state-of-the-art http://www.macneilwash.com/equipment-landing.php car wash equipment and we operate 24/7. You may be able to find most of the waterproof/security equipment you are looking for here: http://www.cctvfactory.com/cctv-video-security-cameras/waterproof-bullet-security-cameras.html

You really need to narrow down what you want out of the system. Wide Range + License Plate Recognition + analog cameras is going to be tough. The first thing you need to do is set a budget for the system. I would also suggest going with an NVR. You can get 3MP cameras which will be very sharp and leave yourself open to other options.

For a business I would always suggest going with a local dealer. If cameras go down, you can always have someone to reach out to. If you insist on DIY (really not that tought) getting equipment and running cable is not that difficult.

I sent you a PM, please check your messages.

Well I'd guess he either settled on some equipment or gave up by now.

His post was back in March 2009 and he has not been on the forum since

I didn't even check the date. I guess the guy above me responded and this showed up under "New Posts" for me.

I didn't even check the date. I guess the guy above me responded and this showed up under "New Posts" for me.

I know what you mean. I've done it a few times myself.

http://www.jkdcsecurity.com/ security equipment You may be able to find the automatic scan camera, with high-resolution and clarity of the image which you are looking for here. Complelete, clear, and no distortion image, which can be clearly observed that the object is not less than 2mm in diameter.

Featuring IP68 water-proof grade, -10℃ to 55℃ operating temperature and -40℃ to +75℃ storage temperature.