Sign in to follow this  
ceshomru

Need some guidance

Hi,

First I would like to say that this site is a godsend. I have been looking into CCTV systems for the last couple days and only here have I been able to actually learn something. I do have one request that I hope is not too far fetched. What I would like to know is if there is some link or download of a schematic where I can visually see the layout for a home based system. Preferably a PC based system, but I would definitely want to see how stand alone systems work as well. To be honest I have never done something like this before, and I am in charge of finding the best system for outdoor surveillance for my father in law, so I am sure you can understand my apprehension. I am computer savvy so I don't think I will have trouble with PC hardware and software, but my main problem is when I see the photos of products I do not know where on the chain from computer to camera or A to B they belong. I learn very quickly when I can see what I am supposed to do rather than try to piece it together from multiple sources. Even a description of a system that can improvise a visual image would be great, something cut and dry like "starting from the camera we have A. power supply that should be connected to... and B. Coax cable which should lead to... and so on. I know that this a little different from "what is the best camera i can use, or dvr for such and such system?" but I figure that if I just follow some of the links that you graciously provide I will find decent products at the end of the line. I know its a lot to ask from someone who has never contributed, but I know I will contribute all that I learn after my first experience. I appreciate any notice that you observe with my request and greatly indebted to all that provide their help. Thank you.

simplest chain for pc-based DVR looks like following:

1 - DVR software, generally supplied with card. it provides user interface, recordind, reviewing etc.

2 - DVR Card - kodicom, geovision, i3view and so on. converts analog video signal to digital video stream.

3 - video cable. transmits analog video signal from camera to card.

4 - camera, it requires power supply, normally 12 volt DC.

Okay haha thats pretty simple, are there any variations upon that? Like filters or what have you? Well to add to my request I have been reading a lot of remarks regarding the benefits of having a stand alone system. And so that brings me to a question that I am very interested in having answered because it might mean the exact course of action that I would like to pursue.

What I wanted to know was whether or not it is possible for there to be a DVR system that happens to have a PC available for storage and viewing of files but is not dependent on the PC for longevity. What I mean is that the initial recording and video capture is on the normal DVR system, but what I want to add is a PC that can access that same DATA and with one of those nifty interfaces display the video and actually add to the maximum storage of the DVR.

Generally with a PC based system you could just map the drive and use the mapped drive for storage.

Good question! And one which others may benefit from.

Generally your camera is on one end.

You'll have a line going to power, the power feeds the camera, or recorder, or whatever.

You'll have a line representing your video signal that travels from the camera..

Your recorder, whether stand alone DVR, time lapse VHS, or what have you will be next.

Then you'll have your monitor where you can view what is recording, or what you play back.

If you want a time date generator, that will need to go between your camera and the recorder. The signal must pass through it.

You may also have a Video Motion detector (if the recorder you are using doesn't have one built in), this would need to go between your camera and your recorder. It must monitor the signal and then send a signal to the recorder or alarm, etc.

In the most basic set up... you'll just have a camera and a monitor. These must each be powered.

A recorder would go in between the cam and mon.

Anything else would most likely go in between the cam and the recorder.

If you use wireless, the you'll have a camera, a short hardwire transmission to a wireless transmitter... then a wireless transmission ... then a wireless receiver, and then you have your thingamajig, your recorder, and then your monitor.

I think this covers the basics. I hope it helps.

One more thing...

To help understand, you might could go take a look at your cable TV and follow the cable from the wall. Notice that the signal travels through things, and each thing does something particular, VHS, cable box, TV. Each item must also be powered.

Again, Hope this helps.

Thank you all for the great device, I have a clear view now of the order of things and exactly how each of the dvices must interact with each other. One last question, the hard drive in a DVR can I access that with a PC and transfer the files easily? Thanks again.