billm

New System Design - Comments Welcomed

As I mentioned in the camera section, I said I would post a proposed system design here that’s meant to replace my existing antiquated video system. This was presented by my in-house security department and its taking forever to get them to move on it – in-house = 0 margin job so they have no incentive.

So I thought I’d start looking into it myself, maybe find a better solution, obtain pricing and do it with my own people. In any event, your comments and suggestions are welcomed, pricing even if any dealers out there provide these items.

New System proposed for:

61,000sf office space, with 6,000sf detached warehouse, <1000' line of site.

My current Lan connectivity to warehouse is via a Roam About 2.4ghz wireless Lan with 11MB bandwidth, no cameras in warehouse now.

Equipment proposed...

American Dynamics Intellex LT qty 2 – I think its based on

their 2.6 version S/W * see note

Philips Indoor Fixed Camera LTC1461 qty 7

Philips Outdoor Fixed Camera LTC9450 qty 4

Philips Outdoor PTZ Camera G3T-2460-R qty 1

Trango Wireless Units Eagle Plus VTX2500 qty 2

Panasonic Network Cameras WV-NP472 qty 2

We’ll reuse about 9 existing cameras.

*Note – The AM D60031S-048R-1 model DVRs were originally proposed but I understand AM has discontinued this for the Intellex models. I did mentioned this was in the works for awhile.

Feel free to email as well if you prefer.

i hope you also realise the problems associated with wireless, in other words only use it if there is no alternative..

also, will you be using 2 or 3 DVRs..? You listed IP cameras, they use totally different software from a DVR- need a dedicated PC just for them...

I have found VideoComm to be one of the most widely availlable for wireless video, and they have a large selection..might want to check them out also. They are a Canadian Manufacturer.

www.videotransmitters.com

Also, you will need a keypad controller for the Dome..and make sure American Dynamics DVR supports the phillips PTZ protocol. Problems can arrise when too many different brands are mixed up into one system..compatability issues.

bury cable to the warehouse. Go with Cat5 or better. Possibly run fiber if your network needs are projected to grow and your budget can handle it. Check into the PC based systems as they are more featured and can be administered by your current network personnel. I recommend them only if you are PC smart or have PC smart employee's. Otherwise, stick with the stand alone.

Wireless? Like Rory stated..................last resort.

IP camera's? Video Insight can handle both IP and basic camera connections via one software program. Embedded systems do not.

PTZ/Dome.........embedded system requires a keyboard. PC Based do not.

I'd recommend that you have a "pro" toss you a quote. You may find that your time and money are better spent allowing a pro to do it?

Rory, VST_Man:

I can see this is going to take some time and thanks for the advice. I'll be looking into everything each of you said and will keep you informed on my progress.

The only thing I'm sure of at this moment is burying cable is not an option.

Thanks