squale

Can I mount a camera on a telephone pole?

I live in New Jersey and wanted to mount a camera to the telephone pole outside my house so the camera faces the front of my house and covers my entire front yard and driveway, etc. Does anybody know if this is LEGAL to do or not?

I want to mount the camera on the pole, then I can just run the BNC and power wire right alongside the exisiting cable television coax wire (maybe zip tie them all together, etc.). This will go to the top of my house and I can just feed the wire into my house where the Coax cable wire comes in.

Let me know what you think about this..

Thanks

The phone company will climb up and confiscate your equipment if they ever see it. It is not considered public property and they will view any foreign equipment on their pole as a hazard. Now of course if it is in some area that is never inspected, then you take your chances.

but will they fine you? are you breaking any laws by doing this?

do you think you can get a written agreement from the phone company stating that you are allowed to put a camera up on their pole and nobody will take it down or bother you?

who owns the polls by the way.. the phone company, the electric company, or the cable company?

Actually, at least over here, the Electric company owns them, but to answer your question, NO, if you get a written statement from the company to put up cameras, then you would be one lucky SOB. They are very very very strict when it comes to stuff like that going in their poles.

a customer never requested this? I would imagine that for installers telephone poles would always make a great place to put a camera facing the front of a house... wonder why more people don't ask about it

Having worked for the phone company myself, if you put a cctv camera on a pole and a tech sees it, he will disconnect it and keep it for himself.

This is a very dumb thing to consider! Do you have any idea of the legal issues and the liability issues of this. Don't do it. You are treading on utility company property, and you have no right to be there.