RobSteward

Cameras for a home setup?

I am looking for a self-installable home security setup of cameras and

motion detectors. Preferably, the cameras themselves would include the

motion detection... in their circuits or even as on-board PIR (passive

infrared).

We don't need any 3rd party monitoring of these cameras (we just want to

view the cameras from inside and we want an audible alarm inside when motion

is detected). We also don't need any recording.

Wireless would be a big plus. Four cameras is probably sufficient, but 5

would be even better.

We can't seem to find any off-the-shelf solution that seems to fit the bill

here. Our budget is less than $2000. Is that impossible?

Hello Rob Welcome to the forum.

The fact that you don't need recording is tricky but you cant definatly find what you want for your budget. Actually you can probably get what you want plus recording.

I'll see what I can come up with but there are some really sharp people here that can help out as well.

For a wired system, I think you would be very happy with something like:

http://www.bezerkmedia.com/shop/customer/product.php?productid=16200&cat=294&page=1

I have used this card and software and I like it. You would have to add a computer though. You could get a Dell for about $500 bucks or use an existing computer exclusively for this card.

The only concern I would have about putting the above system in the home is that the cameras wouldn't go with the furniture.

Wireless would be nice but good, and secure, systems are more expensive. You would not want a cheap X10 system because your neighbor could buy a receiver and see exactly what you see. So you would have to go for a high end system that adds some type of encryption. If you have access to your basement and/or attic then I'd say a wired system is your best option.

Oops. I obviously forgot to state a key detail. We want these to be external cameras, monitoring several approaches to our house.

Thanks so much for the suggestion, though. I'll certainly take a closer look around that website.

If at all possible, we would like to avoid needing a computer.

Thanks again!

-Rob

Hard Wired would be the best choice as even wireless is not all wireless, you still need power.

I personally dont use the PC based systems, though I have installed one or 2 and they are fine for a home system, and they do have alot of integrated featuers such as built in alarm sirens for motion, and if you have a home PC it would be the cheapest way to go for the system parts. They have built in alarms for motion detection using the image pixels, so no motion detectors are required.

4 Provideo BW Bullet Cameras @ $80 each, would be a good choice.

Then the system of your choice.

You could use a multiplexer with a single channel DVR (for recording), the multiplexer has motion recording built in, or you can install some outdoor PIRs from Optex, and connect them to the DVR/Mux so when there is motion the alarm goes off. Gets pricey, so the geovision would be the cheapest and easiest way.

I personally have the Provideo Bullets, an Extra 19" TV, and 4 sets of Optex Yard Beams connected to an Ademco Alarm System and a loud siren, at my appartment. I am just using tape right now until i get some more cash.

Oops. I obviously forgot to state a key detail. We want these to be external cameras, monitoring several approaches to our house.

Thanks so much for the suggestion, though. I'll certainly take a closer look around that website.

If at all possible, we would like to avoid needing a computer.

Thanks again!

-Rob

whhoops, ok non pc based,

If you dont need recording just get a BW multiplexer, or quad if you dont want to spend the cash on a multiplexer. If it is more than 4 i recommend a muliplexer either way. Any brand will do. Use some of those provideo BW bullet cameras, a 19/20" TV, an ademco alarm vista 15p pack, some Optex outdoor PIRs. The siren will go off, and you look at your TV. Only thing is it doesnt come up on the TV which area it is, so youd need to look at the alarm keypad. U could get a full english keypad that has zone description in plain english instead of just zone numbers, and have that next to your TV or near it.

There are other ways to do it, I havent done much observation systems so maybe some one else can jump in with a recommendation for a non pc based way.

I'm definitely closing in on the issues, here.

I found a system with cameras which include PIR motion detection--which would eliminate the need for two systems (motion alarm plus video).

The system is a Lorex SG-14Q5381UQ. The cameras are weather resistant, and you can purchase an optional shield/housing for added protection.

The manual lists an infrared illumination nightvision accessory, but these are color cameras... so the IR illumination shouldn't work, right?

This system is very close to what we need in terms of features. Any thoughts, warnings, alternatives or suggestions?

Thanks!

I found a system with cameras which include PIR motion detection--which would eliminate the need for two systems (motion alarm plus video).

The system is a Lorex SG-14Q5381UQ. The cameras are weather resistant, and you can purchase an optional shield/housing for added protection.

The manual lists an infrared illumination nightvision accessory, but these are color cameras... so the IR illumination shouldn't work, right?

This system is very close to what we need in terms of features. Any thoughts, warnings, alternatives or suggestions?

Thanks!

Infrared only works in BW mode.

Maybe you can look at Provideo (www.csi-speco.com) Resicam, built in motion, weatheresistant, BW IR, can connect to trigger VCR etc. Ill take a qyick look again at them and post the exact link..

Thanks!

Infrared only works in BW mode.

Maybe you can look at Provideo (www.csi-speco.com) Resicam, built in motion, weatheresistant, BW IR, can connect to trigger VCR etc. Ill take a qyick look again at them and post the exact link..

Ok here is the link, exactly what you ar elooking for ?? Up to a total of 4 cameras: System comes with 1 camera plus the switcher, just add the other 3 cameras. Comes in BW with Infrared or COLOR. You can extend the wire they supply with twisted pair or telephone wire etc.

http://www.specotech.com/cart/products/productDetails.asp?prodID=474

Download the page i cut out from their fall catalog, PDF format:

http://www.aspbahamas.com/ResiCamCatCut.pdf

B/W Resi-Cam Observation System

(RESI-200)

Our B/W residential observation system has a passive infrared sensor that detects motion and sends a signal to the control unit. Then, an audible chime alerts the user, and the control unit momentarily interupts the TV image (switching to the camera image). The TV viewing interuption can be adjusted or disabled based upon their customized user settings. It features an infrared LEDs that enhance viewing in low light conditions. By using the composite video output, the control unit can be alternatively connected to the auxiliary inputs, PIP inputs, or modulator for whole house viewing. A weatherproof camera, mounting bracket, control unit, 65 foot cable, a UL listed power supply, and control unit-to-TV coaxial cable are included in the The Resi-Cam unit.

Resi-Cam Switcher

(RESI-10M)

This is our AV switcher that allows multiple camera operation for either B/W (RESI-200) or color Resi-Cam (RESI-600) systems. It allows expansion to a maximum of four cameras per system. It features adjustable switching modes that allow multi-location observation. It has a PIR sensor, which triggers a switch to the camera.

Ok here is the link, exactly what you ar elooking for ?? Up to a total of 4 cameras: System comes with 1 camera plus the switcher, just add the other 3 cameras. Comes in BW with Infrared or COLOR. You can extend the wire they supply with twisted pair or telephone wire etc.

(RESI-200)

Our B/W residential observation system has a passive infrared sensor that detects motion and sends a signal to the control unit. Then, an audible chime alerts the user, and the control unit momentarily interupts the TV image (switching to the camera image). The TV viewing interuption can be adjusted or disabled based upon their customized user settings. It features an infrared LEDs that enhance viewing in low light conditions. By using the composite video output, the control unit can be alternatively connected to the auxiliary inputs, PIP inputs, or modulator for whole house viewing. A weatherproof camera, mounting bracket, control unit, 65 foot cable, a UL listed power supply, and control unit-to-TV coaxial cable are included in the The Resi-Cam unit.

Resi-Cam Switcher

(RESI-10M)

This is our AV switcher that allows multiple camera operation for either B/W (RESI-200) or color Resi-Cam (RESI-600) systems. It allows expansion to a maximum of four cameras per system. It features adjustable switching modes that allow multi-location observation. It has a PIR sensor, which triggers a switch to the camera.

Now THAT looks promising. Thanks, Rory!

I fired off an email to Specotec with some questions, but this may be exactly what we are looking for.

In case there's more good input, here's the questions I sent them:

1. I notice that the signal can be set from 5 to 80 seconds. We intend to have a dedicated monitor for the video; is there any way to have the video always on? (And is there a way to cycle from camera to camera every few seconds... or even split off to a standard quad-viewer?)

2. We'll want four cameras. If we were to want more, is it possible to "stack", "chain" or "piggyback" two AV switchers (for a total of up to 7 cameras)?

3. Do the black-and-white cameras have built-in infrared illumination for night?

4. Do the color cameras offer any nightvision options? (Some color cameras can switch to black-and-white at night.)

5. With multiple cameras, can you view the image from any camera at any time you want, or does video *only* happen when there is motion?

6. Are the motion detectors "smart"... are they prone to false positives from blowing leaves, small animals, etc.?

7. How loud is the "chime" and can a louder (indoor) alarm be attached? Can the chime be set to repeat or stay on until disabled--or does it only chime once?

8. How well do the cameras handle temperatures from zero to 32 degrees Fahrenheit?

9. Is there a maximum cable length?

10. We have no need for recording, if that makes a difference in any of these questions.

-Rob Steward

(RESI-200)

Resi-Cam Switcher

(RESI-10M)

Now THAT looks promising. Thanks, Rory!

I fired off an email to Specotec with some questions, but this may be exactly what we are looking for.

In case there's more good input, here's the questions I sent them:

1. I notice that the signal can be set from 5 to 80 seconds. We intend to have a dedicated monitor for the video; is there any way to have the video always on? (And is there a way to cycle from camera to camera every few seconds... or even split off to a standard quad-viewer?)

YEs - Use a Quad with loop through, the quad monitor output goes to the dedicated monitor, and the loop through goes to the Resicam Switcher. The Resicam Switcher can then goto a modulator which can put it on channels 3 or 4 for cable, so it will switch to that say if you are watching TV in your bedroom and the dedicated monitor is in tje living room. Or you can just not use the TV and have multiple monitors, linking each one from output to input. AND, you can use a TV instead of a monitor if you want to save money, just use the video Inputs (RCA). The quad can view 4way or switch from camera to camera with different speed (dwell) settings.

2. We'll want four cameras. If we were to want more, is it possible to "stack", "chain" or "piggyback" two AV switchers (for a total of up to 7 cameras)?

Yes, but you will need multiple monitors if using a quad, or use a 9/10 channel multiplexer, OR, provideo has a cheaper multiviewer which is like a quad but displays up to 9 cameras.

http://www.specotech.com/cart/products/productDetails.asp?prodID=362

The 2 switchers would be next to each other, as far as I can tell (havent used them yet), they are what sounds the alarm, but youd need to check with Specotec on that.

3. Do the black-and-white cameras have built-in infrared illumination for night?

Yes the BW have IR built in, the color does not.

4. Do the color cameras offer any nightvision options? (Some color cameras can switch to black-and-white at night.)

No they are 5LUX color cameras so they would require alot of illumination. The BW are 0.1 lux so they can see in low light, but also in pitch dark with the IR (limited I think to 15-20 feet).

5. With multiple cameras, can you view the image from any camera at any time you want, or does video *only* happen when there is motion?

Using a loop through and a quad or multiplexer, you can view any camera you want, you are taking the signal from the camera before it reaches the Resicam System. Check with Specotech on this also.

6. Are the motion detectors "smart"... are they prone to false positives from blowing leaves, small animals, etc.?

I would imagine they are not 'smart' as with alarm type motions, as they say they do 100 degrees. Id like to know also, so let us knowwhat Specotec says please, thanks

7. How loud is the "chime" and can a louder (indoor) alarm be attached? Can the chime be set to repeat or stay on until disabled--or does it only chime once?

Good question.

8. How well do the cameras handle temperatures from zero to 32 degrees Fahrenheit?

9. Is there a maximum cable length?

they include a 65 foot cable, but any video cable can be extended manually. Let us know what they say here also, thanks. If you are going to be running hundreds or thousands of feet then you could always hook the rca/twisted pair they use, to RG6 or RG11, but its no fun, and they may have a solution for you. Im not surer if they have seperate power from video, but most likley as their other cameras do, let us know...

10. We have no need for recording, if that makes a difference in any of these questions.

Only if you are buying the record it device that triggers the VCR.DVR. Not needed then.

-Rob Steward

Specotech (Provideo) may be able to sell you everything you need to work for this, as they have evreything like the quad, multiviewer. multiplexers, sirens, audio devices, RF modulators for TV, Monitors, and more.

They are a good budget company with so far tested myself, some long lasting cameras. They are inexpensive but not too cheap to be considered cheap quality products, id day say they make some good products. Out of ALOT of their CVC-325 bullet cameras located by the ocean and in a nightclub, and at my appartment on the ocean also, they have lasted almost 2 years with absolutley no problems, i am impressed for the price, and the picture is good in low light also. Im talking even compared to ALOT of expensive day/night or just nighttime cameras I have installed/tested. Of course the Infrared part is limited to only 15 feet or so (in thier bullet cameras anyway), so if you need to see beyond that youd need extra illumination or a diferent camera. I see they have a couple new IR cameras that go to 150' (claimed). Dont know the price and wont work with this system setup.

Let us know what they say, thanks

Rory

Instead of the 1Ch DVr why not get a 4ch Standalone with alarm inputs, we sell one that is 100FPS with four camera inputs and 4 alarm inputs as well as 1 alarm output. You can then use a PIR camera in one (wireless or not) and then you have motioned recording and whenever it detects a signal you can have it output to anything you like, any chime device or beeping device or several. It has a built in switcher as well. roughly $500 US with a 80Gb Hdd inside.

Instead of the 1Ch DVr why not get a 4ch Standalone with alarm inputs, we sell one that is 100FPS with four camera inputs and 4 alarm inputs as well as 1 alarm output. You can then use a PIR camera in one (wireless or not) and then you have motioned recording and whenever it detects a signal you can have it output to anything you like, any chime device or beeping device or several. It has a built in switcher as well. roughly $500 US with a 80Gb Hdd inside.

yeah but that us $500 befire it has to be shipped to the US, and go through US customs charges so youd need to add a few hundred on top of that.

Yep thats true.

Hay rory, I noticed that a lot of the cameras that Speco sell are from a Korean Manufactorer, we actually sell a lot of their stuff.

They never put the latest stuff on teh website but I recognised some of the cameras.

http://www.koreacctv.com

Check them out and if you want good pricing tell tehm you spoke to me!

For example (CVC-627) or better known as SK2124P/SH we buy at roughly at $65 there is also a high resolution version.