Firefighter

Designing system for my home. ( Looking for help etc... )

So, I recently sold my system I had before. (Which can be found in the intro )

Link: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=28903

So Yes, I had a intro thread. But, this thread is my ONE thread. Which will consist of the design, Q & A, Install etc.... so

everything will be posted here. No more threads.

So, Now I need to design and build my own system.

Heres my property. Outlined in red is my property Line.

Budget: for now $800... $400 for dvr and $400 for cameras (is what I figured)

180914_1.jpg

So, I'm installing a fence next month... Red is property line... BLUE is Fence

180914_2.jpg

Ok. Now to get into the system design itself and camera locations etc....

I'm pretty sure I'm going to be buying this DVR. Which, Allows Full D1 on all 16ch at 7.5 FPS.

From my research, 7.5 should enough correct... At Full D1... On all 16 Ch....

http://www.securitycameraking.com/16-channel-elite-mini-economy-59029-prd1.html

Or... I could do 8CH for $260... I think I want 16Ch so I can continue to add cameras in the future....

I'd like to go IP. But I see that being a Year away... Maybe Sometime in 2013... Maybe.

So, Full D1 Analog it is.. 700tvl.

So, Thats the DVR I have in mind. If there is a better deal, or dvr out there. PLEASE let me know, Link etc... I'm looking for help.

So, Cameras. Budget is low, I know typical Guy looking for great system for cheap. But, The dvr cost more than my entire last system did...

so I'm upgrading. lol

So, Possibly got the DVR picked out. Cameras, I can't afford 16... lol So I'm rly hoping to get 4 for now...

I'm looking to have Outside, and Inside. Inside will be pointed towards doors/hallways in the future when I have money.

The ones I'll first be buying, are Outdoor for overall coverage.

So, I have a few different ideas.

Lets first post a picture, of my Ideas for cameras....

Since really, the first few cameras I buy will be general Overwatch.... We don't have front plates in my state... so thats a issue. No real use

for trying to get plates... Just general vehicle descriptions.

While, Having a few good cameras for overwatch, I'll pick up a couple cheap $35 600tvl camera domes for the entry ways, or just the inside...

for now.( I rly dont kno )

House/plans

180914_3.jpg

I have a door where the pink lines are, A door is located at #'s 1,2,3,4. And at #3 I have an upstairs main floor door, and a basement door down below. So two doors at that location.

The Blue Line is he fence we are installing next month. (And where most our tax return is going.... for the dog)

Cameras...

$99, 700 tvl, 2.8-12 zoom/focus... Doesnt have wdr, which I rly want. But idk becuz of price range.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/700TVL-Sony-Enhanced-Effio-E-Sony-EXVIEW-II-72IR-LED-2-8-12mm-Fedex-Home-/270911011284?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f138df9d4

I was thinking these were good overall, But if I'm installing wide overall coverage do I rly need zoom... not rly... I guess....

I have BIG Shadow Issues, Morning, Mid day and Evening... So I was thinking WDR ( Wide Dynamic range ) would be something I really should

look at and not settle for not having it. That would cost like $125 a camera, vs $100.

I rly dont want to get too high, But heres the WDR camera....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EXELON-BHR-V801-Bullet-SECURITY-CAMERA-700-TVL-20-IR-LED-D-WDR-2-8-12mm-12V-DC-/120668280535?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c1863d6d7

but then I notice the interlacing, 525 lines, 60 fields and 30 frames. so idk....

I was thinking Dome cameras on the intr, I could do 600tvl, 700tvl or whatever... Hell I could get 420 tvl with IR for $15 a pop.

Would Suck vs the 700tvl, but being indoor, and considering I had 420 before It might pass as a temp setup, untill I can get 700 tvls for inside. Or hell, stick the the 420 tvl for inside untill I upgrade to IP in a couple years.

420 wasn't too bad, It just rly sucked outdoors... but I was also covering 60+ ft wide outside with 420 tvl... Covering 5ft inside with 420 would prolly be halfway decent for now.... and since It's better than Nothing It might be just want I need to do....

Considering budget and all...

Well, DVR, cameras.... Heres a 420 tvl shot from my front yard camera on my old system... should be a big difference this time around.

178699_4.jpg

So, thats the start. Help, Ideas, Comments, etc... Please bring them all! thanks!

Maybe it's not my place to say this but I would’ve thought that if your objective were to establish a CCTV business, then you’d be looking to install and familiarize yourself with exactly the type of DVRs and cameras that you’d hope to sell to the public.

There is a well told story about optimistic CCTV businesses starting out with a bubble of enthusiasm over the wrong products and the wrong installation approach. To cut the long story short, the fledgling businesses gets overwhelmed with errors of judgement, callbacks and complaints based upon:

(a) Installation of the wrong products &

(b) Not straightening out the naive customer in the first place about pragmatic solutions.

Then again, the general public will buy just about anything unscrupulous vendors offload. Commercial installations have far higher expectations.

It was an idea and I had stated I wont be actually doing it.

I just thought it would be cool. like a thousand other things I think are cool...

Thanks for your concern, I'm trying to learn. Another reason I made this thread.

Please view myself as just another newbie looking for help. thx

Seems like the old hands are a little busy.

I have looked at the DVR you mention. My advice would be to go and buy the industry standard DVR made by Dahua. It costs about the same price. In fact, I can't actually make out the unit in the photo but it may be a Dahua.

As far as cameras go, that is a pandora's box of varying opinions. $400 seems too low a budget even for 4 cameras, though there are those who have acheived adequate results on that budget. Plus the cabling and power supply. Are you going to run generic BNC or Cat5 cabling? There are also varying opinions about the use of IR; the use of bullets vs box cameras; and the use of fixed domes. Each solution brings with it a series of pros and cons. Some of us like enclosures as deterents. Others don't. By the looks of the size of the property, I would have thought that the bullet cameras you're looking at might be hard for a criminal to see. Anyway, these are the areas of contention. Perhaps others will make specific recommendations within that camera budget.

Thanks, I was just very ancy because I sold my old system and realized I better quickly purchase something. I feel so unprotected

for some reason not having cctv again. But Thanks.

Yeah, Problem i think is I can't have anything too flashy. I live in a Historical Society District so I'm afraid they would have me remove

them ( boxed and enclosed large cameras ) due to cosmetics. Honesstly I was using 420tvl and yeah, they suck, but worked.

I might pick up a few of those rly cheap as Temps untill I can get decent cams.

I have HUGE shadow issues, So I think the extra $30 for the WDR option is worth it.

I think a decent dvr, and cheap ass 420 tvl will have to work for now. Like I said, I was happy with 420tvl because it was 100x better, than Nothing all all. And then each month per say, I could snatch a good decent camera up and slowly build my system.

But I guess I just have alot of research to do.

Edit: After researching that dvr some more, It really has some Awesome features that is 10x better than what I had.

There are a few dissapoints like no alarm input externally, But other things are rly winning me over. And having some confidence in what Im actualy buying over whats on ebay is so nice...

Wow, Thank you so much! You just saved me more than $100, about $140.

I was also looking at the DVR one step up from that.

Difference being, It has Alarm inputs, and PTZ control, More audio input and some other like hdmi output, 16ch playback vs4....

Its an extra $120 ish but I think in the long run worth it.

Im realising I may just be spending my intitial amount on a quality dvr for my price.

And, Like I said, Slowly upgrading and buying cameras When I can.

Thanks also for that link to the camera. (How am I missing all this stuff)

I notice, its great for the price as far as being near my "wants" specs.

It doesnt however have the WDR... But it's also half the cost... so Maybe it's worth having 2 of those,

vs one of the others since I'm just starting out.

Thank you so much, As I do more reseach I'll update this post.

EDIT: WOAH, the dvr you linked me is comparable to the $550 option I linked above... It has the ptz controls and alarm inputs...

So... you actually saved me $275 so far! Its $260 vs the $535

(as long as its the same dahua)

You took down junk cameras. Don't slap up junk again because you're in a hurry. If you have to, install intermediate cameras that you may well really like and will hold you over while you put budgets together for expensive cameras. I can say that my gadspots are doing very well and are reasonable. Compare some of their cameras as well, such as

GS4006CF

GS4011CF

GS822EF

Lots there to check out, but don't buy the super cheap cameras. It's just something else to consider. I have TONS of pics of my cameras- search the camera forum. Best of luck. Don't confuse yourself. You have the dvr you want now. Just get good door cameras to watch critical areas at the moment first. Save the wide shots for the next round. They're just overviews anyway, and don't really provide critical info.

You took down junk cameras. Don't slap up junk again because you're in a hurry. If you have to, install intermediate cameras that you may well really like and will hold you over while you put budgets together for expensive cameras

I'll second that - in fact, you'd be better off starting with four $200 cameras rather than eight $100 cameras, and then adding cameras as budget allows... otherwise, if the plan is to end up at eight cameras, at the end of it all, you've spent $1600 in total, rather than $2400 and have eight "low-grade" cameras sitting on a shelf.

(or, you know, two $200 cameras instead of four $100 cameras, or whatever the budget allows... concept is the same, get fewer cameras that will serve you better in the long run, rather than wasting money up-front on "interim" cameras that will get replaced later anyway)

I deleted that question about swaping to an IP system. Way way out of my budget for me to even think about.

I might as well have a decent analog than a cheap ****ty IP. Continue.

Again, thanks for the help thus far guys, I rly appreciate it. Sorry I was ancy at the start.

Edit: And wow, ^^ those linked dome cameras have alle the features I'm looking for, Plus the WDR which was important to me.

And for Cheaper than the ones I posted!

Not talking about IP cams, I'm talking about better-quality analog cams. And it could be four $100 cams vs eight $50 cams, the point remains the same: you're better to start off with fewer, higher-quality cameras, strategically placed, than just loading up on cheap cams because they're cheap.

Ok, I'll be purchasing the DVR tonight. The better one thanks to the link on Nelly's.

http://www.nellyssurplus.com/servlet/the-1560/Qvis-Apollo-HD-16/Detail

Look forward to being able to purchase and have a good DVR. I'll also be purchasing a camera,

I think Im going to purchase a Box Camera and lens, with enclosure.

http://www.nellyssurplus.com/servlet/the-1586/Dahua-ESCBX700-700-TVL/Detail

And I'll upgrade when I can, adding more cameras. I might purchase a few Domes for the inside of the house, Front door, Back door and side door. Since, Most important is when they enter the house.

Thinking the Ones Shockwave linked, Having the extra features like noise reduction etc.. being 700 tvl and

a good price.

So, the Box camera will cover the front of the yard. Where #1 is located....

180914_3.jpg

And a screen shot from my old system of that location.

178699_4.jpg

420tvl cif.... Ugh... lol Im going to love this new system!!!!

So, Let's all the DVR purchased, and the First Main Camera purchased.

I'm going to do a tad bit more research being purchasing the domes shockwave linked.

Also, Here are some shots of the Shadows that I am having to work with.....

This is just about noon.... 11AM

181268_1.jpg

181268_2.jpg

181268_3.jpg

181268_4.jpg

181268_5.jpg

181268_6.jpg

Okay, Question:

Power Supply. Am I able to provide Power to the Cameras from the DVR?

Because, I want to hook up a Battery Back up to the DVR.... IF someone was to

pull the breakers on my house my complete alarm system would render itself useless....

That would absolutely destroy me....

Okay, Question:

Power Supply. Am I able to provide Power to the Cameras from the DVR?

No.

Because, I want to hook up a Battery Back up to the DVR....

So plug the cameras into the same UPS. Or use a camera power supply with its own backup battery, like this:

181487_1.jpg

IF someone was to

pull the breakers on my house my complete alarm system would render itself useless....

That would absolutely destroy me....

Your alarm system should have a backup battery already...

Alarm systems have backup batteries.

Alarm systems have backup batteries.

Well, they're supposed to, anyway.

Ok thanks, I rly need to get one. The Last owners pre wired the house

I just need to talk to my dads friend. Helios Global Security. Owns a franchise or the actual company. So I'll have a good Actual Alarm system this month or next in addition to my cameras.

Yeah, I'll have to look into a power supply with battery backup for the cameras.

I'd just hate for someone to simply pull the breakers on the outside, and me have wasted my money. Well, Theyd be on the dvr pullin the breakers.... As long as they dont find the dvr.

Which, Will be another project in itself.

I have abasement, (not finished but stays pretty decent temp all year round

being underground. It's got a concret floor and stuff so I think I'm going to house the DVR

in the basement hidden behind some cynderblocks I'm going to install in a corner so you can't see the dvr. Hope this wont be an issue with the dvr... I guess there or I could hide it in the main floor..

lol paranoid? Eh, Just thinking of easy ways to be defeated. lol

I have a .40 Glock 23

Looking to get an AR15 and a shotgun sometime this year.

Ah you are straight then. Those type of weapons here would land me in a 3rd world prison for the rest of my life. All we have to defend ourselves with are machetes and conch shells

I'd just hate for someone to simply pull the breakers on the outside, and me have wasted my money. Well, Theyd be on the dvr pullin the breakers.... As long as they dont find the dvr.

Which, Will be another project in itself.

Power Box Solution:

DSC03728C.JPG.16bfeef4b737cc613c5ceb175ad6850e.JPG