sue

Assistance requested for home security

LOL, don't mind Hermin. He's just touchy when someone won't buy his super cool DVR. Guess its the New York way of doing business. He's not laid back like we SoCal surfer dudes.

LOL, don't mind Hermin. He's just touchy when someone won't buy his super cool DVR. Guess its the New York way of doing business. He's not laid back like we SoCal surfer dudes.

Hey man, I'm not touchy, I'm a lover

Maybe Hermin will stand on his head and eat a bug? I looked up that board he has and it actually looks interesting. Will have to see it at the ISC show in Las Vegas this March. So many DVR boards out there it gets overwhelming.

Don't take it personally Hermin. NY reps are way too intense, like Joe Troiano, compared to us West Coast reps.

This fellow called me yesterday after he says he did a commercial installation with 16 channels (4 of those in one PC). It must work for at least awhile. I also asked him to put wording on his invoice that if it did not work he would take it back and give me a full refund. I also paid with credit card so that I could dispute if necessary.

Good, always make certain purchases with a credit card, and make sure that before you accept delivery, read the packing invoice to see if he added the money back guarantee.

Maybe Hermin will stand on his head and eat a bug? I looked up that board he has and it actually looks interesting. Will have to see it at the ISC show in Las Vegas this March. So many DVR boards out there it gets overwhelming.

Don't take it personally Hermin. NY reps are way too intense, like Joe Troiano, compared to us West Coast reps.

Give me their website, I've been looking to register, but can't find it,

yeah, its a NY rep that sais Kalatel DVRs are out of date! His winXp/2K one is better according to him :-0 Dont know what it is yet, will see when he comes down next week.

yeah, its a NY rep that sais Kalatel DVRs are out of date! His winXp/2K one is better according to him :-0 Dont know what it is yet, will see when he comes down next week.

Hey, Hey, stop bashing the NY reps OK?, you guys have to remember, exept for me, most installer here are used to charge anywhere from 5-10K for a basic 4 camera DVR system over here, and people around here do pay for them.

And regarding the Kalatel, that rep has to be smoking something, as far as I understand, the Kalatel's are one of the top brand of DVR'S that money can buy.

What about Everfocus DVR's? Can anyone comment on those?

How's the weather in the footstools of the Adirondacks?

Kalatel is a great DVR, but pricey. A local distributor told me he has tested the Nuvico embedded DVRs and has found them to be an excellent value for the price. He said Nuvico is coming out with a version similar to the Kalatel Store Safe with a front loading CD/RW at a price that will blow away the Kalatel. I'm kidding about the reps. I know a couple of them since we share the same lines, but they are definitely more aggressive than reps here. Joe Troiano is the Everfocus rep in NY, and then I know Ruben Furcyg who is the Ikegami rep. I also know the owner of Royal Sales, a large distributor in the area.

Regarding Everfocus, they do make a very good DVR, solid operation and they are local in the Los Angeles area. I used to sell their equipment when I ran a distribution company here. In fact all of their equipment is nice.

Kalatel is a great DVR, but pricey. A local distributor told me he has tested the Nuvico embedded DVRs and has found them to be an excellent value for the price. He said Nuvico is coming out with a version similar to the Kalatel Store Safe with a front loading CD/RW at a price that will blow away the Kalatel. I'm kidding about the reps. I know a couple of them since we share the same lines, but they are definitely more aggressive than reps here. Joe Troiano is the Everfocus rep in NY, and then I know Ruben Furcyg who is the Ikegami rep. I also know the owner of Royal Sales, a large distributor in the area.

Regarding Everfocus, they do make a very good DVR, solid operation and they are local in the Los Angeles area. I used to sell their equipment when I ran a distribution company here. In fact all of their equipment is nice.

yeah , price is my only issue with their products.

though dedicated, phillips, etc, all cost the same or more also, just that name brand = high price, I guess.

Sue in all honesty WE all are fussy about our products.. I mean you should hear me talk about Geovision... however if anyone ever offers a trial free refund I always grab it.

I had a look at the card, there is nothing wrong with it, but I cant vouch for the software, we would be very interested to see.

The one thing all of us forget is the customer does not know what is good and what is not.. I mean I have been so fussy with my installs that even before focussing cams the owner has said it is fine...well he didnt know what to expect therefore he would have been happy anyway.

Its just that we all take pride in our work and we all have tried junky gear before or had to fix it. I can guarantee that you will not have a great software with that system but it may suit YOUR needs and you didn't blow your budget and you have learnt a lot.

The point is sometimes you can get away with it and sometimes you cant and some people love standalones (Rory) which mind you ARE more stable and some like PC Cards (ME) and the features.

You sound like you know computers so this is the best way to tell you...some video cards are better than others and that is why you can buy a Gforce4 from one place (same chips) and a better one elsewhere that is the difference in manufactoring.

However they run on the same software so not much difference except minor performance.. the thing is a PCI card relies on stability of IT'S software therefore the better the softwrae the better the solution and the less headaches.

I think you will be fine and we would all like to hear how it goes and if you have never seen better then you wont know what your missing anyhow.

I hope this helps.

Thanks so much for your candid reply. I really appreciate it. I will have the equipment this coming week, and I will let you know how it works out. At the very worst, I can sell this stuff piecemeal on ebay since it's a computer. Yes, I know a lot about them. So I shall let you know how this goes. Thanks! I would feel a lot less comfortable about a standalone DVR. That would be a lot more difficult to sell, and it would cost more.

No thank you!

You just made a very interesting point.

I had never thought about that, if your PCI card is out of date you can still sell the computer as a computer or use it (not that it would be worth a great deal), however with a Standalone how can you sell an obsolete one?

Like I said thats a good point... However with the amount of support hours I am putting in lately I am starting to see Rory's point.

I hope it all goes well for you.

Regards,

No thank you!

You just made a very interesting point.

I had never thought about that, if your PCI card is out of date you can still sell the computer as a computer or use it (not that it would be worth a great deal), however with a Standalone how can you sell an obsolete one?

Like I said thats a good point... However with the amount of support hours I am putting in lately I am starting to see Rory's point.

I hope it all goes well for you.

Regards,

and of all things i just went back into the PC repair business, as everything else is slow ..for now

Well, I got my stuff. You are right about Pico2000 software, buggy as hell!

The cameras work well, they are infrared and work well in the dark. Only done close-up recording so far. The computer is not bad. It's an ASUS A7N266 with an AMD XP 2200 and an 80GB hard drive. He put that cheap Hong Kong card in there, but it seems to work. He also added a CD burner (didn't need it, but ok) and a floppy drive (why?).

The camera box says KTK. I couldn't find it searching the web.

The system seems to record fine on motion detect, but will need more time to test it out. The playback part of the software is the buggy part. It hangs just about every time I try to use it. He says it's my problem. I told him I write software for a living, and it's crap. I can use Windows Media Player to view it instead. Glad I didn't pay much. He's asking upwards of $2400 from most for a new system with 4 cameras. I talked him down to less than half of that.

Is there any software that I might use with this card in lieu of the Pico2000, or does every card want its proprietary software?

Thanks!

Sue