sue

Assistance requested for home security

Hello, I'm looking to set up something for home surveillance. I would eventually like 2 cameras. I would also like to have audio if possible. I would like to be able to monitor from anywhere in a browser, and also record video and audio to a hard drive. I can build a pc, no problem, with a huge hard drive. I would like the cameras to be somewhat hidden also.

Anyone out there have any suggestions? Thanks much.

sue

Hello Sue, Welcome to the forum.

I would like the cameras to be somewhat hidden also.

Do you want complete concealment or just cameras that don't stand out too much.

I can build a pc, no problem, with a huge hard drive.

Do you want to store the images and audio, just view the house from the web or both.

Also what is your price range?

Thanks, Larry. I would like to do both, watch from the web and store video and audio for later viewing/listening.

I'd like to keep it under $1000 if possible. I'm going to start with 1 camera, and originally I was hoping to only spend around $350 for that. I was originally looking at the DLink DCS-2000. I don't know if that is a good choice or not.

Thanks.

Sue

Sue i have not checked the D-Link camera but I suppose it is an I/P camera?

For under a thousand dollars you could easily buy a PCI card for your existing computer if you have one? Input 2 cameras into the card Geovision has an inexpensive GV250 bit slow on the frame rate but thats all you would need with 2 cams, you will need an audio board as well to record audio (not sure if the 250 has support for that). Geovision will allow you to record video and audio and only those with password level access will be able to see or hear the recorded logs.

Geovision also supports browser remote viewing and history view as well as 2 way audio(speach and 'listening in") and if you are looking for discreet cameras, you can buy what is commonly known as a pinhole camera, these cameras allow for only a pinhole in the wall and yet with their fish eye lens they can see a whole room, howver I would suggest either a PIR (Alarm Sensor) Camera or Smoke Detector camera as they are very discreet and easier to get into the right position, one word of advice though... If you use a smoke detector pinhole camera dont put it in the corner of the room, it becomes rather obvious.

If going for covert cams, ask if the camera is CMOS or CCD and choose the CCD although I hear the technology in CMOS has improved greatly.

Thanks, Larry. I would like to do both, watch from the web and store video and audio for later viewing/listening.

I'd like to keep it under $1000 if possible. I'm going to start with 1 camera, and originally I was hoping to only spend around $350 for that. I was originally looking at the DLink DCS-2000. I don't know if that is a good choice or not.

Thanks.

Sue

if you dont want to spend more than $1000 then a PC based card like geovision is your only choice, dont know prices as I dont sell them, but i think for 2 cameras they probabl run $200-300.

If you are in the US, Provideo has a large selection of hidden (discreet) cameras, including things like outdoor motion sensor light cameras, clock cameras, smoke detector cameras, board cameras etc. Depends where you want it and how hidden you want. Some electronic stores sell them, if not look for a local security/alarm company in your area. You can also download their catalogue from http://www.specotech.com/downloadcenter/.

Rory

Thanks rory and DVR_Expert. I will check these out, and I'll probably have more questions after I do so.

Yes, the DLink is an IP unit. I gather you think that is not such a good idea.

I'll be back after I do some research!

Thanks again.

Sue

Thanks rory and DVR_Expert. I will check these out, and I'll probably have more questions after I do so.

Yes, the DLink is an IP unit. I gather you think that is not such a good idea.

I'll be back after I do some research!

Thanks again.

Sue

never used those type, wouldnt consider them cctv, more like a webcam.

Yes, I guess I would be on the wrong forum for webcams.

I think a PCI card would be more secure than a webcam anyway. Thanks.

Yes, I guess I would be on the wrong forum for webcams.

I think a PCI card would be more secure than a webcam anyway. Thanks.

Its not that really, but with a regular CCTV camera, whether itsa bullet camera or a traditional camera in a housing, you would generally get a better product. There are some IP cctv cameras, that come with built in hard rives, but they cost a fortune. This is why most of the major manufacturers make seperate IP servers or DVRS, and the cameras are standard coax.

Sue,

I.P based cameras rarely come with HDD's this means that they are great for sending the data but you would not be able record the uncompressed data that they send without spending a fortune on Hard Drives therefore, to record the data you would still need to capture and compress the data, which is what a DVR card will do anyhow (howver I could be wrong, not an expert at them). I/P cameras are great for when existing CAT5 cable is in place already, the main reason they are used is because they dont have to run more cables if network is already there, however they can clog the network traffic and arent really as good a quality or designed to store the data.

I would only use an I/P based camera for a 1 camera job as buying 5 or six would be more expensive than a DVR unit which can be networked anyway.

If you contact Geovision ask for risa@geovision.com.tw tell her that Greg from Australia recommended you and she may look after you on price.

Greg, thanks very much. I totally understand. I wasn't worried about the hard drive space, hard drives are cheap. And I do have existing CAT5 right where I want to put my first camera. But like you say, with two I'm taking up precious router space and clogging up the network.

I'm in the US, is that still a good place to contact (Geovision) for me (California)?

Thanks much.

Sue

You might want to check out this site. It is a Glendale, CA company that is the primary importer for GeoVision cards. Also check out the VSSI web site since they have a 16 camera DVR on special at a very low price.

http://www.wisemicro.com/card.htm

http://www.vsscctv.com/ProductDetail.asp?ProductID=453056072

It runs on Windows 98 which may or may not be a problem for your application.

I'm afraid I'm totally confused now. I have 4 computers in this house. Do I still need a DVR? Two are running XP, one is running ME. and one is running 98. Two of them have video capture cards in them, one has Pinnacle (software rendering) and one has the Hauppage PVR-250 (hardware rendering).

I'm also confused about connecting this all up. Say I buy a GV-250. How do I connect my camera(s) to it? There seem to be 2 different types of connectors on the board.

Please forgive my ignorance, but I haven't found a tutorial for laywomen.

Thanks.

You are correct Sue, you do not need the DVR.

Just purchase the GeoVision card, you might have to also purchase the audio board if it is not built into the card. The card has 4 bnc connectors on it.

Buy a security camera. Make sure you get one that is 12vdc; as it will be easier to power. Buy rg59 cable and two piece bnc connectors. Find a place you want to put the camera. I'd suggest an interior wall because fishing the wire will be much easier.

When you get the Geo card, I'd suggest installing it into a computer using Win 2K or above. This computer will have to run 24/7, so beef it up if you have to and keep it cool. Install the Geo software. Locate a cool place to put this computer then run the cable, you will have to fish it like cat 5. Now crimp the bnc connectors and hook it up. If it does not work, check your crimps then check power.

Read the manual because the Geo has tons of features to play with. You are going to spend more than 350 ( not too much more ) but you'll will be happy with this setup.

If you need suggestions on cameras, just ask.

Ok, beginning to understand here. This is just coax like cable TV. Larry, the audio connection, what is that? Is it a 3.5mm stereo, or what?

And what about the software? Does it come with? It looks like I can get the card and software for around $200?

I can cool the heck out of my computer, no problem. I'll just get a Volcano 10, lots of case fans.

Now you say Win2K or above. I wasn't aware of much above that. Win XP Home SP1 ok?

Yes, I would love suggestions on cameras. I'm overwhelmed when I look at the catalogs as to which is best for me.

Thanks for taking the time to help, it's much appreciated!

Sue

Ok, beginning to understand here. This is just coax like cable TV. Larry, the audio connection, what is that? Is it a 3.5mm stereo, or what?

And what about the software? Does it come with? It looks like I can get the card and software for around $200?

I can cool the heck out of my computer, no problem. I'll just get a Volcano 10, lots of case fans.

Now you say Win2K or above. I wasn't aware of much above that. Win XP Home SP1 ok?

Yes, I would love suggestions on cameras. I'm overwhelmed when I look at the catalogs as to which is best for me.

Thanks for taking the time to help, it's much appreciated!

Sue

ill answer some of the questions as i dont know antyhing about geovision.

RG59U is thinner than TV cable (which is normally RG6)

Cameras: Provideo has some decent BW Bullet cameras, cost around $80-150.

You looking for concealed or a standard camera.

Yes the software comes with the card and Xp is fine.

Larry, concealed is what I'm looking for. A wide angle view would be nice, but beggars cannot be choosers. Thanks!

Sue

Here's a camera Sue. Would something like this work?

http://www.directlvs.com/Camera/GBCP/Photos/pir-value-camera.jpg

This reason I would suggest this style of camera is that although they do make other cameras that look like books, pictures, radios etc; the problem with those is, if someone lifts the book, picture cam - unless they are wireless - they will notice a coax attached running into the wall. This camera looks like a motion detector so it is supposed to have a wire running into the wall. Actually when mounted, i believe, no one will see the wire because its hidden inside the wall.

Sue,

When you purchase the GV250 Unit you will get the software with it.

If I can make a suggestion, try a camera that is a pinhole camera, then you can mount it behind a wall or in anything you want, if you have lots of computers then I am sure you will have loads of stuff hanging around that you can mount one in. The Pinhole camera allows for just a pin hole in anything, for example a software box, empty speaker etc etc. Purchasing smoke detector camera and PIR cameras can be a tad obvious, therefore a pinhole camera can be put into anything, be sure to get a CCD chip one and not a CMOS chip.

If you plan to remotely view the system or network your DVR I would strongly recommend going for Geo as it has the best features around, however if you arent going to do much with it then the Standalone box might be easier to set up.

I have a wealth of experience with Geo, therefore if you get stuck you can ask me anything.

P.S. Nice choice with the Pinnacle Card!

P.S.S. Installing Geo on any computer less than XP or 2000 will still work, you will just have slower frame rates.

If you email me your email addy I will shoot you a live demo instruction sheet so you can see what Geo is like over the internet. digitalsecurity@westnet.com.au

Larry, thanks for that picture. We already have a PIR (our security system) located in the area where I would like the camera. Another PIR would look really strange. I thought about the smoke detector, but putting it near that area would look really tacky also. Thanks.

Sorry so long to reply, for some reason I didn't get an email this time alerting me that there were new posts.

Mr. or Ms. Australian Expert,

I like the pinhole camera idea. Can someone point me to one? I've seen the smoke detectors, PIRs, clocks, etc., and all the rest I saw were wireless.

Thank you!

Sue O