se99paj

Vehicle CCTV system

Hey guys, I have an interesting challenge for you guys. I have been given a small task to install a video system on a prototype tracked vehicle. The system needs to record from about 4 cameras mounted on the interior. We will move onto them in a minute, for the moment I am looking at how to record the video. I need the best quality with high frame rates and preferably a decent capture resolution so that the video footage can be easily seen.

The biggest problem I have is shock & vibration, this is not your everyday vehicle, so I need a tough system that can take a pounding and still record efficiently at teh same time. I have a list of shock and vibration tests that the system must be tested to but for now I won't bore you with the details.

I have contacted March Networks concerning their 5308 mobile DVR, there are some other companies that I'm looking at though. Now back to the cameras, I am completely new to cameras so don't know the best way forward. I would prefer to have small bullet cameras installed as they will take up a small amount of space but I'm concerned about the lack of features on these models.

The cameras will not be affected to much by vibration and shock so that is not a problem, I am worried about a few things though. The interior is very small therefore the cameras will be close to the passengers, is there a minimum distance that the cameras need to be before a clear picture can be recorded. I am also concerned about the viewing angle of the cameras are their different types do these cameras come with a zoom and focus feature. I am also tempted by the day/night feature on some of these cameras the interior of the vehicle will usually be well lit, but there may be times when the interior will not be illuminated therefore it could be useful to ahve a night feature. Is there anything I should keep in mind about building this system??

Bullet cameras are usually not adjustable in size but you could buy one with the right angles needed but it would be harder to find, I think your on the right track with bullet cameras even though they do not handle extreme light conditions well, take into consideration the vehicle, as you will have outside lighting streaming in and the lighting will surely change when the vehicle moves around, so white balance and auto iris are things that you may need to look for but they are rarely available in bullet cameras.

As for the DVR, stear clear of anything PC made excepting those that have been tested for the conditions in which you are talking about.. I think that even if someone told you it would be ok it would not, because shock on a PC is a big issue, I looked into shock proof cases for some of the boats that our customers put DVR's on but it really is not a true solution, laptop HDD's work better in these conditions if you do wish to persist down this path.

There are many vehicle DVR's on the market but few actually are as shock proof as they state, I have heard that the Dallmier vehicle DVR is pretty rock solid and I know that they stated that this DVR had passed certain certifications for shock and vibration.

Even a standalone really will not cut it, if you only wanted pictures you could go for something that captures onto roms, this would be rock solid for you but to record video streams you would need a HDD and no matter what you do one big bump and the HDD will park it's heads causing problems for the drive.

A wireless webserver may suit you if the vehicle is on a race track etc and will not be travelling so far away as there will be much less moving parts to consider.

Cameras really are not an issue, buy bullets they are cheap as chips and you can replace them easilly if they do start to fail, but unl;ess rated and perhaps spring mounted I would stear well clear of anything that has a HDD ..even standalones.

Make sure what ever you do that you get whoever makes it to Guarentee it will not fail and explain what you plan to do or make sure it has passed certain standards, I do think these standards actually exist but I have never read them.

I hope this helps,

for a varifocal low light day/night, auto iris:

http://www.csi-speco.com/cart/products/productDetails.asp?prodID=543

And a long going mobile DVR:

http://www.geindustrial.com/cwc/products/ge-interlogix?pnlid=9&famid=63&catid=1088&id=MobileView&lang=en_US

Though i wonder how well the mobile DVRs actually work, they are probably designed for good roads, which we have none of here! You may need some sought of wireless transmitters or server so you can record it out of the vehicle instead.

have fun

Thanks for the information guys, I have one other peoblem that I guess I should have mentioned, this system will be isntalled on a military vehilce in the UK, therefore I can only purchase a product if they are based in the UK or have an representative in the UK. I have contacted March Networks and they are comparing the vibration and shocks capabilities of the DVR to the requirements for the vehicle. I am interested in any other comapnies that have mobile DVR's but preferably only if they can be contacted through the UK.

I am a little worried about getting the right camera, I don't know whether it would be better to order a load of different cameras and try them out, or maybe after purchasing the DVR I could visit a load of companies and view test the cameras on with the DVR. What kind of connectors are used on bullet cameras and would there be any problems when connecting them to a mobile DVR.

Guys, I am still waiting for some companies to get back to me concerning the vibration and sock specifications for the Mobile DVR's, but am currently looking at other options in case none of them can meet the requirements.

The other solution that I have is using an IP network, I have been researching rugged laptops, and they can take quite a beating, I was also going to attach a 4tress rugged hard drive with 80GB of space. This solution will be easy to setup, I'm assuming all I would need to do is connect the cameras to a hub/switch as well as the laptop. I know you guys said to stay away from a windows based solution but I don't have many options.

What software would you guys recommend, or is this a very bad idea??

Well, all the advice that I can offer is to get the Panasonic Toughbook.

That damm thing does take a beating, I have an older one, P1-166mhz, and I intentionally threw it from a second story window into the pavement below, and all it got was a scratch.

There is this brand of movile DVR Everfocus, I installed one, there is 1 camera and 4 cameras options, they resist movility very good.

http://www.everfocus.com.tw/pdf/EDSR400H.pdf

4 port option cost about 1,600 us

Even is possible to adapt to the EDSRM a GPS module and track speed and position.

Their page in Europe is

http://www.everfocus.de/en/index.htm

The cost for movile unit from Kalatel is much more, but I think much better, a lot of accesories, cellular transmition, Central Station posibilitie, up to 8 cameras, etc.

I have found a digital video recorder that should do the job its available from DVRExtreme, I am looking at ways to setup the DVR before the vehicle goes on trials and was hoping you guys could provide some advice.

I was looking at just having a small battery powered monitor, like the ones used to review analogue tapes. This wuold mean not having to mess around with the power management of the vehicle. Have you guys come across anything like that??

Another option is to use a laptop that I can take into the vehicle and setup the DVR remotely, I could also use this for transferring data as well.

Any ideas??

We have a camera here that is currently being used for a similar application. Our client purchases them from us in large lots, and mounts them on Combine Harvesters to monitor the processes as they go through the field. If anything gets gummed or jammed up the operator knows instantly.

The specs can be found here: http://www.pstdvr.com/products_solutions/cctv_cam/waterproof_camera.htm

PM me if you want pricing or more info.

For vehicle DVR I use Giantec Tracer 3000, 4 ch or 8 ch. Very good picture quality.

It is PC based (Celeron 650MHz) with Linux OS.

Take a look at

http://www.giantec.com.tw/

How long have you been using this brand? about how many of this mobile application are working? have failed?

How roads are in Greece, have you had problems with hard disks?

I'm using Everfocus mobile but I would like your opinions about Giantec as I'm thinking to migrate to a new brand if is a better one.

Here in México don't have good roads as in USA.

Thanks

cesarg

I use Giantec DVRs for 1 year.

Believe me, the roads in Greece are terrible.

I have intall about 40 DVRs to the security vehicles of USA base in Crete.

For this 1 year the DVRs working perfect. I use Hitachi 20 GB mobile HDD and I never had any problem.

Thanks for the lead on the: Giantec Tracer 3000

Looks like a unit definately worth checking out.

Thanks again,

Mike

cesarg

I use Giantec DVRs for 1 year.

Believe me, the roads in Greece are terrible.

I have intall about 40 DVRs to the security vehicles of USA base in Crete.

For this 1 year the DVRs working perfect. I use Hitachi 20 GB mobile HDD and I never had any problem.

How long aprox. can you record with 20 Gb.?, right now they are offering 40 Gb as the minimum hard disk.

Thanks