doug b

Two Camera System

I'm in the midst of remodeling the foyer and kitchen. It's a good time for me to install some survailence hardware.

We cannot see our driveway or street from inside our home. I would like to mount a camera under the eave so that we would get a view of the drive (about 75' long, and a little ways into the street).

Additionally, I have been looking at a PhoneBell system with a small camera concealed in the door phone.

I've looked online - and I'm throughly confused.

I need the under eave camera (day/night preferable), with an lens angle that one can see the drive and the street. Color by day, and BW by night would be fine.

I also need some sort of switch or sequencer so that one can view the drive or the door camera.

I would also like a small flat panel monitor (say 8x8) that I could mount in the kitchen.

I was figuring on spending $300 - $400 for the camera, and $150 for the switch?

I'd appreciate any specific product recommendations.

Here are some outdoor cameras with built in IR illuminators you might want to check out. This site is a good start to look at some of the offerings available. Depending on the distance you may need to go up to the larger units. Also some links to accessory items.

http://www.at-fairfax.com/Camera/Infrared.htm

http://www.at-fairfax.com/QuadSwitcher/QuadSwitch.htm

http://www.at-fairfax.com/Camera/BoardType.htm

to start with, a 8" LCD (TFT) monitor, prices around $500, so the larger part of the cost will be there. If you can get one with 2 video inputs (mon A and mon B), that will save cost on the switcher.

Totevision LCD - 8" #LCD800N

http://www.spytown.com/tot8lcdmonlc.html

this has 2 video inputs, and you can purchase a flush mount kit. Note though, not cheap, but same as those with just 1 input.

As for cameras, if you dont want to spend too much, and easy installation, a 6mm bullet camera would be best. You would need a low light EXview fixed lens 6mm. (4mm is cheaper, but 6mm would be better for the distance you want)

http://www.spytown.com/provcvc6800e.html

If the street is on the left or right of your driveway (?) then a 4mm would be better, as it is a wider lens.

http://www.spytown.com/provcvc637ex.html

If you want color in day, BW at night, Provideo has a CVC-7700DNV bullet camera, with a varifocal 4-8mm lens, so you can adjust the focal lenght at time of installation.

http://www.spytown.com/specprovdayb.html

True Day night (color switching to BW) is never cheap, but this bullet will be cheaper either way.

There is also Fixed Vandal Proof Mini Domes, day night, but they cost much more, but are more vandal resistant. For a home, it could be overkill.

BTW, a black and white only camera will cost alot less.

http://www.spytown.com/cvc-130r.html

Rory

Thanks for the info.

I'm a novice when it comes to cameras like these (althought I use an SLR), so please bear with me. I read the specs on the Vitek. It says the led life is approx 6000 hrs. Does this mean the camera would need maintenance after 3 yrs? My other awareness is that these cameras run 24/7. What's the life of one on these cameras?

it means the LEDs may die within that time, and you cannot replace them, you will need a new camera if you want IR leds again. This has already happened to me. You could probably send it back and have them replaced, but just as cheap to buy a new one. Or just do without the IR.

Rory,

I'm getting the idea that there are night cameras (IR leds) and low light cameras. Is this correct??

The Speco CVC-637EX - does that render a image at night/low light?

Thanks.

Yes, exview is low light color, so it can give you an image in low light, but it is not as good as a true black & white image. Some day night cameras are simply exview, and switch to black & white, but not true black & white mode, so they have the same lux level, same resolution, but can accept IR lighting. While the true day night will switch to a higher res black & white and lower lux level, normally. They use different methods, its explained by someone else on this forum, cant remember off hand.

Exview is just a cheaper method to get a good image in low light, and can still accept IR lighting in most cases.

Best image in extremely dark situations or near pitch dark, is a good quality true day night camera, or black and white only, and a seperate IR Bulb if it is too dark. Better image would be to use normal outdoor lighting though.

And yes, the exview bullet camera will give you a pretty good image in low light.

There are actually light meters, so you can test the light level in a certain location, to know exactly which lux camera you would require, not sure how much they cost though, but i know I have to get one soon.

Dear Rory,

Here's two cameras that look good:

The $350 (with lens) Speco CCV7000DNV, seems very nice, and I like the wiring is concealed in the bracket. If the life of the IR leds is 6000 hrs, it's a little troubling.

The $175 Speco CVC-637EX seems like it would work well also.

My driveway (30' x 75') is not completely dark. There is a street light 125' away, and I have carraiage lights on my garrage. Do you think the 637EX would render an image under this lighting condition? I can see to the end of the drive at night. As a homeowner, I want to do it right, then again, I don't want overkill.

Lastly, I'm looking for a small LCD screen, cause this is going to go in our new kitchen, and I want it to take up as little space as possible.

I found a 7" LCD screen for mobile applications (like a car DVD).

http://store.eenid.us/ov-7100.html

What do you think about something like this?

Thanks for all your input!

the exview should work in your case, and that monitor is a good price.

Best to email them first to double check the LCD will work with CCTV cameras.

Rory,

The monitor can switch between two NTSC inputs. So it should work just fine with the camera.

I'm gonna go wit the Spec CCV-7705DNV.

Thanks for the help. I may be back when I get all this gear delivered.

DVR Expert,

Well it's a bullet cam with a range from -20 - 120F. It's going to be mounted under the eave of my home.

I realized that if you buy the 'regular' camera you need to buy a housing - and these things are huge. I thought it would draw attention to my house.

i have one of their bullet cameras on a Tree, 100' from the beach, been going strong 2 years now.

I didnt look at it

Yes, you didn't. I don't want to sound critical, or ungrateful, but if you haven't checked out the situation - your comments are 'alarmist' and not very helpful.

Uhm, I don't think that DVR was trying to be unhelpful and alarmist, he is one of the 4 senior members of this forum, which include rory, av, him and me (me being the one who knows the least ). I think that rather he was trying to give you helpfull advice.

But to be honest, if you are looking for a good camera for the driveway, and one that does not break your bank, I can show you this one:

http://www.cctvdealers.com/excdn12.htm

I sell these, and they are very good to me, I can even show you a pic on how it looks at almost pitch dark:

cam12.jpg

Now, consider that this camera is about 3 flights up and 4 feet back from the object.

Sorry for being blured, I haven't gone out to clean the lens yet, we just had a tornado about 1 hour ago, that pretty much messed everything up in this region, busy week ahead for me.

Rory,

I have installed the SpecCo camera, and it works swell. Thanks for the advice.

Also, if anyone is looking for a compact LCD monitor, try Optiview - I got a 7" made for automobile DVD. All you need is a 12vdc power adapter.

great, if you get a chance to get it on a DVR, see if you can post an image so we can see what the camera image looks like. I remember that, so the Optiview worked out good?

Rory

Rory,

The quality of the camera output is very good. I'm in the process of remodeling the foyer and kitchen (the walls are down to the studs). But in a month or so, I'll get a digital image from the SpecCo.

The Optiview LCD worked out real well. It's about an 1" deep. It can be mounted by itself, or with a 'frame' that comes with it. I'm going to use the frame - the edge of the frame covers the 'cutout' in the wall. It will be to mounted in the kitchen wall near the door to the foyer.

I also installed a door intercom, with a camera, that interfaces to my home phones. The Optiview has two video inputs, so it works out really great.

The last thing I'm looking for is a normally open realy, than when hit with 12 to 24 volts - will stay closed for say 60 to 120 seconds. The output of the relay could be used to switch the Optiview to the 2nd video input (the door cam).