Sign in to follow this  
djrachman

Way to connect HDTVI/HCTVI cameras to onvif compliant NVR??

I'm racking my brain trying to find a solution here! Essentially, I have an onvif compliant NVR and I want it to communicate with HDCVI or HDTVI cameras. I'm agnostic to the HDCVI or HDTVI manufacturer. These HDTVI cams are great because of how much cheaper they are than IP cameras - but I need to keep my current onvif NVR.

Possible solutions include using an encoder, but I can't find one with good quality resolution. Ideally it needs to have 8-16 channels as well.

HELP!!! Thanks!!

I'm racking my brain trying to find a solution here! Essentially, I have an onvif compliant NVR and I want it to communicate with HDCVI or HDTVI cameras. I'm agnostic to the HDCVI or HDTVI manufacturer. These HDTVI cams are great because of how much cheaper they are than IP cameras - but I need to keep my current onvif NVR.

Possible solutions include using an encoder, but I can't find one with good quality resolution. Ideally it needs to have 8-16 channels as well.

HELP!!! Thanks!!

It is cheaper to buy the ip cameras vs paying for encoders. You are also adding another failure point to the setup. Spend the extra 40 bux on an ip camera or just get a TVI dvr.

You need a DVR. I do not know there are DVR-boxes that support both TVI cameras and CVI cameras. You have to search those on the internet. As far as I know, TVI is supported by Hikvision and CVI is supported by Daihua. These two do not compromise each other. The DVR is supposed to generate compressed bit stream files for video data from each camera. The compressed bit stream files, then, are to be strored to HDD or can be sent to NVR.

Thanks Boogieman. Yeah I think you're right, it's probably worth paying a little more for the IP cameras then having to pay for the encoder as well and adding an extra failure point. If an ONVIF compliant encoder offered high quality resolution and was cheap enough, I still reckon it'd be a good option. But that product doesn't seem to exist. The closest I've come to finding one is Dahua's product. http://www.dahuasecurity.com/products/nvs1604hdc-a-838.html

But it retails for $380ish, and its ONVIF compliance is still in question.

Thanks

Brewster Alexander makes a 1080p encoder as well, but it's not ONVIF compliant either

http://www.brewsteralexander.com/hd-tvi-analog-8-channel-encoder-full-1080p-30fps.html

its not an encoder,its a dvr. They call it an encoder because like all other modern dvr's it can stream to a network device. Using this method is a terrible idea. Just buy the ip camera.

Edited by Guest

I just talked to Dahua tech support. They echo'd your same comments. There's really no good way to get them to communicate, and even if they could functionality would likely be poor.