Sign in to follow this  
ricreis394

New house, 7 IP cameras, some requirements

Hello everyone.

I'm a guy interested in security. I'm doing a house and now I need to put the cameras and I have some questions and I hope you guys can help me to find the best solution.

Requirements for the system:

- Secured, some brand with reputation to not having dumb software vulnerabilities.

- The NVR should be accessible with a linux machine, I often use linux and I want to view the cameras with the linux OS instead of having a windows computer or virtualised environment to access the cameras. Probably the best idea is to be accessible with any browser instead of only the IE with proprietary drivers.

- Isn't necessary to be low cost but don't want very expensive.

- I'm looking for dome or bullet cameras

- Should accept adding more cameras using rtsp protocol.

I found samsung cameras/NVR that accept rtsp, I think they have an application to access the cameras from a linux machine, and is a brand with reputation (I don't know in this subject).

Other brand that seems like samsung is the Ubiquiti, but they lack of variety of cameras and the NVR isn't very cool. One solution I was thinking is to buy ubiquiti cameras and mount a computer with linux system and install some VMS to control the cameras.

I already tried a dahua NVR and I can't change the password to more than 6 characters which I think isn't very secured (I don't know if with a firmware update will fix it).

I want some suggestion about what I said above.

Thanks.

I would look at something different than ubiquity. I have two cameras and their NVR and while they work OK they are not megapixel and have no provison for a SD card. Ubiquity is much better at wireless and related equipment.