Sign in to follow this  
program2

New System Design - Does this make sense?

Hi all. I am a complete newbie here looking for a little advice. I have everything I need except my cameras (Computer, CAT5, PoE Switch, etc). I want to make sure I am getting decent enough coverage. The back right of the house has a ton of soccer stuff for my son (pro-level goal, rebounders, etc) that I want to keep an eye on. I want to make sure I cover the front door and as much of the yard as is practical.

A few years ago I had a car broken in to. I live in a very rural area where people don't expect that stuff to happen, and I only wish I had video.

I am looking at getting 4MP Hiks (what's preferred 2mm or 4mm?) or the variable Dahua Starlights (e.g. - IPC-HDW5231R-Z) for the cameras.

I appreciate anything you experts can provide me.

1475460661_SecurityCams.jpg.075b4fd283d4cc912e53d69282e3b7ec.jpg

Looks like you've done your research and pretty well know how to approach it. There is no magical answer to determining where to put what cameras, just trial and error. The 2mm will have a wider field of view, 4mm will be more narrow but more detailed. Variable lens are nice because you can get the exact view you want, they just tend to cost more.