bassett72

Looking to install some home security and would like advice.

Really hoping to find a system that is decent, yet won't break the bank. Basically would like a couple of outdoor cameras that will survive the Wisconsin winters, are motion activated, and will send alerts to my cell phone when they are activated. A small DVR would be good. I think I can do wired, unless there is a very reliable, secure, wireless system. Would like to know where to shop, and will take any advice someone is willing to give. I've been told the systems on Amazon are good, but am skeptical. Also, if anyone is willing to mentor me through this project, I would greatly appreciate it. I don't even know what my budget will get me. I was thinking $600. So, with the DVR, 2 or 3 cameras, but would like a system to handle maybe 6 or 8 cameras. Anyway, I'll start there and see what else is needed from me.

Please advise. Thanks!

Wireless Cameras still require some sort of power. so you will still need to determine how you will get power to your camera.

If you are going to go with a cost effective system and you want to save money Lorex or Swann is fine

If you want something reliable and a manufacturer that truly backs their product, Hikvision is what I would recommend.

Ironically, I was looking into Hikvision today. IP and POE would limit the need for batteries or power. Is that a good way to go? Then I'm just having to run cat5e to each camera.

Going IP will elevate cost - dramatically.

I concur about HikVision (yes, I'm a fanboy)

Would suggest you go for a HD-TVI solution. Use CAT5 and baluns for wiring, it is easy and effective. Installing a proper power supply/power store will ensure you have coverage even during power outages, which are an issue in my area.

Would suggest you go for a HD-TVI solution. Use CAT5 and baluns for wiring, it is easy and effective. Installing a proper power supply/power store will ensure you have coverage even during power outages, which are an issue in my area.

I looked up a HikVison IP POE system, 8 channel, 2TB NVR, 4-4MP cameras set with 4-65' cat5e cables (not that 65' will be enough for all cameras) for about $710.

Does that seem reasonable? How does it compare to HD-TVI? This is from POE Depot in Chicago, which I found on Amazon, but called them direct and you can get a 2 year warranty for cheaper if you buy direct from them.

I looked up a HikVison IP POE system, 8 channel, 2TB NVR, 4-4MP cameras set with 4-65' cat5e cables (not that 65' will be enough for all cameras) for about $710.

Does that seem reasonable? How does it compare to HD-TVI? This is from POE Depot in Chicago, which I found on Amazon, but called them direct and you can get a 2 year warranty for cheaper if you buy direct from them.

Where did you find it at? I haven't found any Hikvision systems just separate components.

Where did you find it at? I haven't found any Hikvision systems just separate components.

This is what I was referring to on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EYW3XXU/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2MDRZLW4SQNUF&coliid=I2AIQTXUPZWDSH

Then I called POE Depot directly to get their pricing and to talk more.