Sign in to follow this  
Tzarreth

Help setting up shooting range system.

Hello guys!

I am brand new to video recording, surveilance and cameras in general! (And the forum) Treat me as if I knew nothing! (Cause, I know nothing. )

So my uncle has a problem, a 4000$ problem, he has asked me for help with, because I study computer science. (So obviously I know everything - well I don't! That's why I am here!)

My uncle is a chairman for a local shooting range, and they wish to monitor the targets. A company has offered to set up a complete system for 4000$, which is waaaay to much (He thinks). So - can it be done cheaper, and, how?

Here's the setup:

Four people are able to shoot at a time. Each need a monitor, so they are able to see preciesly where they are hitting their targets. (If they are hitting at all. )

Each target is located in a box, where mounting a camera top-down would be possible. Here is a side view: UbT33 (Awesome mspaint-job)

There is a commonroom, where he'd like a big monitor able to swtich between the four ranges.

So I was thinking:

One 1080p IP camera connected to a laptop at each shooting station. Run four HDMI cables to the commonroom, and change view depending on which hdmi was inserted in the big monitor. (I am thinking a 49" cheap 720pTV or some sorts.)

This is a cheap way to do it, but not very elegant.

Any chance one of you smarter people have a more elegant way, and advice on which camera to use?

Like connect all the cameras to one pc - and distributing to a monitor at each station + commonroom?

The camera needs a good field of view, so the shooter can see the entire target - as per the image above.

Many thanks in advance!

Hi. I would use 4 X 4mp cameras and connect them to a NVR in the commons room swap each range view with just click of a mouse......This eliminates the use of laptops.

I would also setup a local wifi network ...... Just the cost of a good router. That way each shooting ally will have wifi which will allow shooters to use there own smart device ... Cellphone....tablet....laptop

To view there own target. And even record there own target on there own devices.

So yes you can do it for well under $4000

4 X 4mp cameras

1 NVR recorder

1 netgear 5g wireless router

Is all you need

Hey Tomcctv.

Thanks so much for your answer, I'm sure this will help us!

Can you recommend any good cameras for the task?

Thanks in advance.