Sign in to follow this  
lowcrawler

System suggestions

I'm looking to put cameras on a house. Various nooks and crannies, doors and windows requires 7 cameras for appropriate outdoor coverage. Six of these can be around 90 or slightly wider than 90 degree and one should be 180 degree. Potentially, I'd like one of the ~90 degree cameras to be a ceiling-mounted dome camera that also allows for 2 way sound -- the rest of those can be silent bullets or even corner mounted ones. Once set up, remote/active PTZ and all that wouldn't be needed; though being able to see in the dark will be (it's a very dark location with no streetlights anywhere near). I've already run cat 6 to these outdoor locations and have run the cable back to a 24 port gigabit PoE switch in the networking closet. Later, in phase 2, I plan to add ~6 more interior cameras (for ~13 total).

Lastly, I do IT/tech work and have computers of any shape or stripe provided for me by my workplace... so if PC add-on cards are the way to roll, that's cool; though I like the 'plug and play' nature of some of the D/NVR's I've seen.

I'd like to keep the outdoor cameras to around 3-4k total and then the D/NVR/PC-card part of the system can be whatever price is required to to support the ~13 cameras in the end (motion sensing, alerts, scheduling, remote viewing (computer is fine, needn't be a mobile) -- which seems all pretty standard. I did see a lorex super-imposed feature that seemed cool too, but that's not a deal-breaker).

The idea is that it'd all be easily fed to one a few monitors, quickly, in case of a 'bump in the night'.

Do you all have any suggestions for me? I have to admit, the number of options are mind-boggling when you realize there isn't really a lot of 'standards' out there.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice you might have...

Only modification you may want to make to a PC is add another network card. So one network port connects to POE switch and the other connects to your network/router. Your budget for 6 cameras is pretty big, so I'd look for H.265 cameras. You will need an up to date intel i7 cpu to decode H.265 though.

Thanks for the tips. Sounds like a PC might be the way to roll and will be within my capabilities.

You mention my budget is pretty good for the cameras .... any concrete suggestions on cameras?