Sign in to follow this  
wopachop

Outdoor battery powered night vision idea-help

Hello and thanks for your time and advice. We have a security issue happening 1 mile away from home. Plan is to install a camera with night vision, that will transmit the video feed on 1.3ghz to a video receiver located at the house. The camera and VTX will be powered by batteries and solar recharge.

My 2 current issues are this:

1. All i need is 1 or 2 channel basic DVR. The video receivers appear to use regular RCA cables. Im on a major budget and dont need many features. Everything im seeing online seems too fancy and expensive for this basic hack design.

2. Plan is to use a tiny FPV camera. But maybe a small outdoor security camera with IR night vision would give a better image? Camera will be hidden in bushes. So small is good. Low power use. Want to catch a license plate at night when they drive by about 10-20 feet away.

Thanks for any advice.

FPV cameras are usually made for dron flying and such, with wide angle lenses, but those lenses are in most cases exchangable.

Wide angle lenses also distort the image somewhat.

Google CCTV lense calculator (or use this link http://www.cctvlenscalculator.com/ ) to find your preferred lens.

Something around 14-26mm should be appropriate, I think, but check my math to be sure.

FPV cameras are small and usually low energy, whch is good for your project.

You might want to look into FPV video transmitters.

There are expensive ones, but there sure are cheap ones too.

Many countries has laws regarding CCTV surveilance and most of them include putting up signs, informing that people in the area is being filmed.

Look up the laws for your country.