Sign in to follow this  
klimsi

System design tips for a complete newbie

Here's what I want to design:

• - a few cameras with motion detection
    - a few smoke detectors
    - a DVR that allows to monitor cameras remotely (i.e. via internet) - as far as I understood with a VPN router it should be relative secure from hacking
    - send SMS notification or call my number when the cameras detect motion or the smoke detectors detect smoke

My main problem is the DVR. I don't know what DVR to get (standalone, PC-based, brands, models, etc.) and what kind of software I would need for the setup I have listed above.

Why would you want to connect smokes to a DVR? Those are LIFE safety devices and should be connected to something more reliable like a fire alarm system or burglar alarm system at least. I've never hooked up smokes to a dvr so i dont know the answer to that but i'd go with an 8ch hikvision dvr or nvr and vpn router like you said but unless youre connected to a vpn on your phone, tablet or computer where you are viewing your cams remotely a vpn router would be pointless. if youd dont trust the software on the dvr or cameras then why trust the remote viewing software? i wouldnt use the same passowrds you use for your important account logins. A better option would be to get a router with virtual lans and connect your cameras to a seperate network from your home or work network. if you want to spend the money get axis cameras or dvr. they are the top most secure as far as security gets with cameras. good luck!

Here's what I want to design:

• - a few cameras with motion detection
    - a few smoke detectors
    - a DVR that allows to monitor cameras remotely (i.e. via internet) - as far as I understood with a VPN router it should be relative secure from hacking
    - send SMS notification or call my number when the cameras detect motion or the smoke detectors detect smoke

My main problem is the DVR. I don't know what DVR to get (standalone, PC-based, brands, models, etc.) and what kind of software I would need for the setup I have listed above.

Now, I'm even more confused as far as the remote monitoring part goes. Are there any guides on setting this up?

I don't understand how a secure design should look like.

Why would I need a "vpn on your phone, tablet or computer where you are viewing your cams remotely" ?

A better option would be to get a router with virtual lans and connect your cameras to a seperate network from your home or work network. if you want to spend the money get axis cameras or dvr. they are the top most secure as far as security gets with cameras.

If I go the this route - I can still use the same interent connection, just connect the DVR router before the home/office network? Or should I get a separate ISP for the surveillance?

Also, can a DVR support SMS notification or calling my number, or do I need a separate device/module for that?

If for example you're viewing your cameras on your phone that's connected to an unsecured wifi at starbucks the remote viewing app on your phone might send the credentials in clear text for all i know.... Without complicating things too much just get a router that supports vlan (virtual lan). Each port on the router could be its own virutal (isolated) local network. One port would be for your TV and another for your DVR so if someone does hack your dvr they won't be able to hack your smart tv's , baby monitors or computers. while they might get the camera footage, thats all theyll get. Only workaround for that is too always update firmware or just keep them offline. Easier but more expensive option would be to get a separate ISP account just for the cameras. For Hikvision and most others you can set it up to get e-mails. If you want sms just give it your phone numbers email e.g 555-555@txt.att.net and you will get an sms.

Now, I'm even more confused as far as the remote monitoring part goes. Are there any guides on setting this up?

I don't understand how a secure design should look like.

Why would I need a "vpn on your phone, tablet or computer where you are viewing your cams remotely" ?

A better option would be to get a router with virtual lans and connect your cameras to a seperate network from your home or work network. if you want to spend the money get axis cameras or dvr. they are the top most secure as far as security gets with cameras.

If I go the this route - I can still use the same interent connection, just connect the DVR router before the home/office network? Or should I get a separate ISP for the surveillance?

Also, can a DVR support SMS notification or calling my number, or do I need a separate device/module for that?