Sign in to follow this  
eric9547

Lagless Live View Camera/System For CNC Machines

I'm needing some camera's in a shop to be able watch a CNC machine in operation. What would you guys recommend? I want to stay away from IP camera's due to the slight video delay. The operators need to be able to see everything the machine is doing in real time. Hopefully there is an inexpensive solution.

Thank you,

Eric

The lowest delay could be achieved by a cheap analog camera and an old color TV monitor. This kind of old system do not carry any memory to store a video frame or to display, therefore the most lagless system.

Are there any NVR's that are compatible with the older analog camera's? I will still need to store video but direct view should have very low lag. How many milliseconds is acceptable before noticing?

There must be devices exsiting for your application. If it was designed specially for such application, it could be expensive. As an alternative, you can use analog camera and DVR. Or you can go for analog HD cameras (hDCVI, TVI, AHD) and analog HD DVR. They can give you 2 frame delay as minimum delay. That's 66 mili seconds for two frame delay. You should not go for IP cameras and NVR systems. These procedures take delays for compression and decompression and network bufferings, impossible to control those parameters.

Hi. I would go CVI cameras with cvi / analog dvr so you can still use your old cameras as well .. for cnc machine look for motorised lens. Since you might have different size objects in your cnc that will allow you to control focus and zoom from the recorder.

Hi. I would go CVI cameras with cvi / analog dvr so you can still use your old cameras as well .. for cnc machine look for motorised lens. Since you might have different size objects in your cnc that will allow you to control focus and zoom from the recorder.

Tom good to see you man. I remember years back looking at these cctv systems for my welding shop and found a lot of your posts helpful. Glad your still around. I'll see what I can find for cvi with motorised lens.

Tom good to see you man. I remember years back looking at these cctv systems for my welding shop and found a lot of your posts helpful. Glad your still around. I'll see what I can find for cvi with motorised lens.

There are some inexpensive cameras that actually support a spot monitor with BNC output and then will record on an NVR. I've used Interlogix (rebranded Hikvision) dome cameras that have this feature. TVD-3202/TVD-3201 are Interlogix part numbers I know off the top of my head. You could do some digging and find the Hik equivalent.

Hi. I would forget them part numbers .... there is no point to even think of buying IP cameras and then only using the bnc out .... and you will still get the lag

How big is your cnc ..... is it open or covered machine

The machine is an open machine. Here's a video of it.

Due to the pc control location and size the operator cannot see when he has jogged material to the first clamp for referencing. Punches on each side of the machine need to be seen for tool change alignment and operation. I was thinking of getting a four channel system. One to see the infeed. One for each punching side and the fourth for the shear end. What do you think?

Hi. Yes a 4 way will do the job

I would use 3 analog HD cameras and 1 analog HD mini ptz. (Fits in palm of hand). Fixed clamp one end but other is different on each job size and you don’t want to be moving 1 camera view bt hand on different size jobs ....... operator cam move it via mouse at pc station.

I would also look at 4 in 1 camera. .... cvi tvi ahd 960 Because of speeds involved you will have a choice on what HD format ... again controlled by mouse at pc station.

I would look at qvis Quattro 5 and qvis 4 in 1 steel turret cameras and there mini ptz 4 in 1 all 2 mp.

Looking at a budget of £400 to £450