Sign in to follow this  
ojbartley

Advice for new home camera system

I’m sorry if this gets a little long. I am in the market for a camera system for our house, a 2 storey detached with very close (3' - 4') neighbours.

My initial plan is to go with an NVR and 4 POE cameras: 1 front door/driveway, 1 internal garage, 1 back yard, and possibly 1 front yard/street up on the 2nd floor under the roofline.

I have read a lot of advice saying to avoid the cheap entry level kits from LAView and EZViz, etc., so I have put some time onto looking at Hikvision and Dahua kits. My first priority is the NVR. Where I really need some help is around the data throughput and overall capability. I had planned on using 4 x 4k cameras, but realized that a lot of the 4ch and even 8ch NVRs (to my understanding) could only support 2ch 4k recording at once.

My understanding of the resolution comparison is that:

4k = about 8MP

2k = about 4MP

1080p = about 2MP

I was thinking about something like a Hikvision DS-7604NI-E1/4P, but I don't think this model can do 4k with all 4 channels simultaneously. I guess my first question is "Is it worth it to use 4k instead of 1080p?" I can only assume that the more resolution you have, the more functional it makes your system. If so, is there a "go-to" Hikvision or Dahua NVR that supports 4k with 4 simultaneous POE cameras that I could start with? I don't plan on adding more cameras later, but I wouldn't object to having an 8ch+ NVR just in case. Actually, I’d even be fine with something that can support 4 simultaneous 2k feeds, though I’d prefer to go full 4k if it’s just as easy.

Right now the best (only) option I’ve found is the Hikvision DS-7616NI-I2/16P. The specs under Decoding (http://www.hikvision.com/us/Products_1_10649_i32624.html) seem to indicate it will do 4ch @ 4k. Am I looking at the right thing? I have not found clear evidence of a comparable Dahua unit.

My next question would be about regions, firmware, and buying from AliExpress, which was what I planned to do. I'm in Canada, so do I need to look for a specific North America version firmware, or will anything specifying "English" do? It seems that I can get a MUCH better deal on individual cameras and NVR by buying here, rather than a kit from ebay, Amazon, etc. I can leave cameras for another post, but I am probably looking for wide angle dome models with decent night modes.

Thank you for all input!