mr2u53

System design help

Yeah at about this time I feel like taking a cheese grader to my eyeballs. So much information so little brain.

So around Christmas time the girlfriend said she would like some security cameras put up. Knowing nothing I bought the Blink XL 2 camera system. I regret it.

Since installing them we have had 2 instances that have left us pissed that we did not have a better system installed. One the other night the motion activated camera went off at 3:50 am with some girl taking 2 steps on to our porch. The camera did not trigger when she walked on the property but when she was all the way up to the porch. And did not re trigger when she left. So did she ever leave?

I have a modest system need that can be handled with 8 cameras (8 is overkill but what the hell). I want one camera recording 24 hours and the rest on motion. I would like all the cameras to be capable of producing an image that is identifiable unlike these Blink crap cameras I have. Wired is a must for this project. The girlfriend request is easy to use and she would like a two way talk camera in the system.

Simple enough right However digging thru the informational overload that is the security camera world has got me frustrated. For example a budget all in one system claiming to record 8 cameras in 1080p will in effect record all 8 cameras at 1 FPS. Who wants that?

So any and all help designing and purchasing would be greatly appreciated.

I have very little money but if I can buy a piece at a time that would work for me.

Thank you in advance...

PS I do have skills so if building my own PC is required I can do that.

I saw on this forum last night that someone suggested an IP Camera with a SD card.

With that I go cat 5 from camera to POE switch and that goes to my main router. Then I can review the SD card from my PC and or phone if I get an app?

With that I can add cameras when ever I want right?

After further review and the help of all you on this forum I learned that the last approach will eat all my bandwidth for my home network. I cant have that.

So my new thinking is NAS / Used computer. So cameras to a POE to a computer. Then the computer to the home router. Setting up a monitor and stuff at the computer for reviewing and camera maintenance. That way any traffic on the home network will come when we want to view via our phones or when we are away from the home.

So now I need a capable POE, a sufficient PC that is up gradable for future performance, and cameras.

Any thoughts on my logic or suggestions would be cool.

Thanks

After further review and the help of all you on this forum I learned that the last approach will eat all my bandwidth for my home network. I cant have that.

So my new thinking is NAS / Used computer. So cameras to a POE to a computer. Then the computer to the home router. Setting up a monitor and stuff at the computer for reviewing and camera maintenance. That way any traffic on the home network will come when we want to view via our phones or when we are away from the home.

So now I need a capable POE, a sufficient PC that is up gradable for future performance, and cameras.

Any thoughts on my logic or suggestions would be cool.

Thanks

Hi. Going poe has no impact at all on your home network. An IP system would be a local install ..... Network cables camera to NVR with built in Poe or a separate Poe switch.

This sounds like it is for your home ? How many cameras are you looking at using. Also you have found no name systems don't work. So it's always best for a home to keep it simple

Look at IP with NVR

Yes it is for my home. I am thinking 8 cameras will do the job I want. Well I would like to build with 8 as the end game.

Yes it is for my home. I am thinking 8 cameras will do the job I want. Well I would like to build with 8 as the end game.

Hi. If your going to build rarther than a NVR then do some home work and buy the best you can ...... Remember you don't have to install all 8 just add a few as and when budget allows

Also you talk about vms ...... Look at free and ones with licence options (cost per camera)

And always read specs ..

Your blink spec tells you why you missed video ..... Cameras have a 10 second buff .......so will also miss after 11 seconds till buff is clear after sending the video of 10secs to the cloud .........and as you have found out that makes the blink useless

Yeah I am pretty sore about the money I spent on that Blink. So much so that I am way over thinking the new setup.

Right now I think I am landing on Blue Iris as my VMS unless someone is willing to talk me out of that.

Once I land on a VMS I can build a computer or buy one for recording based on the VMS requirements.

Unless there is a out of the box NVR with cameras that I can no brain install and be happy???

Looking used computers no more than 60 bucks on ebay.

I did check that system out for a hundred less 4 cameras up gradable to 8. Kind of my bench mark.

Looking used computers no more than 60 bucks on ebay.

I did check that system out for a hundred less 4 cameras up gradable to 8. Kind of my bench mark.

Ok $60 computer....... You did not learn from you blink experience.

$60 then you need hard drives and a better graphics card .... Then your switch equipment. Then your camera licence cost for the vms

Then your cameras

Guess which is going over your budget..... The link or your build

Just come out and call me a dumbass... I was just doing the numbers as I refreshed this post to read your answer.

Hi mr2u53, since you are building your own surveillance system, we would like to recommend a drive that is optimized to work in those systems. Those drives are designed to work 24/7, be reliable and should have a certain amount of capacity in order to get the most benefit out of them. We have the SkyHawk drives that are specially designed for surveillance systems, the SkyHawk has all the characteristics that you may need in a surveillance drive.

Our drives have 3 years of warranty, can support up to 64 cameras and are compatible with DVRs and NVRs.

Here is the link to check it out:

https://www.seagate.com/internal-hard-drives/hdd/skyhawk/

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications

SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications

BarraCuda Drives for PC and Gaming