Jimb0

State of the industry / IP Based matrix switches

I have worked with a number of analog matrix systems like the Sensormatic VM96, AD Megapower, Bosch/Phillips, and Pelco CM matrix switches over the years and they all perform very well with analog PTZ's and their respective controllers. You could track activity on any of these systems with ease. An added benefit is you could record the monitor output, so supplying video evidence of what was just seen was as easy as backing up one channels worth of video (or popping the tape on systems that still had a VCR).

Any place I've seen that is a serious user of PTZ/Matrix systems is still analog, including a few projects I have done. By serious user, I mean there is someone monitoring and controlling the cameras full time. (Like LP/AP in a retail store or security officer for a facility) I recently did an install at a small retail store and used IP HD cameras as the stationary cameras and installed a separate matrix controller for the PTZ cameras.

I have experimented with a Hikvision analog DVR and a Hikvision DS-1100KI keyboard in my home, but the keyboard is awkward and confusing to use. Not to mention it has to boot up and goes to sleep after a while. (You have to login to the keyboard every time you want to use it as well) I estimate the video delay on this thing to be close to 500ms even with a simple gigabit network. This basically renders the whole thing unusable to control the PTZs with any accuracy.

I just gave up and installed a Pelco CM6700 matrix and a KBD300a keyboard for my analog PTZs. The difference between the network based control and analog is insane, it seems like you can't beat an analog matrix system when it comes to live tracking. The analog Pelco system is always ready to go and I can track a target with ease, with no noticeable lag between the control and the live video.

I have heard of Target stores switching their PTZ systems to all IP, eliminating their joystick controllers and doing a mouse based system for PTZ control. I have never seen one of these first hand but I can't imagine whatever they are using can beat an analog joystick controller.

I have been installing IP cameras for years now, but it seems like there is a gap in technology when it comes to an IP based replacement for analog matrix switchers.

Is there anything on the market that is an IP based drop in replacement for analog PTZ/matrix systems (that doesn't completely suck)?

I have worked with a number of analog matrix systems like the Sensormatic VM96, AD Megapower, Bosch/Phillips, and Pelco CM matrix switches over the years and they all perform very well with analog PTZ's and their respective controllers. You could track activity on any of these systems with ease. An added benefit is you could record the monitor output, so supplying video evidence of what was just seen was as easy as backing up one channels worth of video (or popping the tape on systems that still had a VCR).

Any place I've seen that is a serious user of PTZ/Matrix systems is still analog, including a few projects I have done. By serious user, I mean there is someone monitoring and controlling the cameras full time. (Like LP/AP in a retail store or security officer for a facility) I recently did an install at a small retail store and used IP HD cameras as the stationary cameras and installed a separate matrix controller for the PTZ cameras.

I have experimented with a Hikvision analog DVR and a Hikvision DS-1100KI keyboard in my home, but the keyboard is awkward and confusing to use. Not to mention it has to boot up and goes to sleep after a while. (You have to login to the keyboard every time you want to use it as well) I estimate the video delay on this thing to be close to 500ms even with a simple gigabit network. This basically renders the whole thing unusable to control the PTZs with any accuracy.

I just gave up and installed a Pelco CM6700 matrix and a KBD300a keyboard for my analog PTZs. The difference between the network based control and analog is insane, it seems like you can't beat an analog matrix system when it comes to live tracking. The analog Pelco system is always ready to go and I can track a target with ease, with no noticeable lag between the control and the live video.

I have heard of Target stores switching their PTZ systems to all IP, eliminating their joystick controllers and doing a mouse based system for PTZ control. I have never seen one of these first hand but I can't imagine whatever they are using can beat an analog joystick controller.

I have been installing IP cameras for years now, but it seems like there is a gap in technology when it comes to an IP based replacement for analog matrix switchers.

Is there anything on the market that is an IP based drop in replacement for analog PTZ/matrix systems (that doesn't completely suck)?

Yes there is, but the secret is in the network design and hardware specification. Network speed is only one consideration.

Low latency networks rely on issues such a processing power of switches and workstations, encoder specification, transmission network design and issues such as multiple streaming (multicast will help here but brings additional challenges as not all network kit is able to cope).

Always start with the network design including highest quality core switches and use name brand CCTV kit (Pelco, Bosch, Avigilon etc)

Ilkie