deerhunter

Unique system design challenge.

I have been tasked with designing and installing a system for a client whom i have done a dozen or so systems for and who will likely buy as many more if i can make this work with the unique challenges this project provides.

This system will have 16 4mp Dahua dome cameras with vari-focal motorized lenses. one Dahua 16 channel poe nvr.

the issues are ; the customers network is lan only and they will allow no access outside the building in addition they will only allow me to connect 1 nvr to the network and issue only 1 ip address for local access by building staff. there are a number of cams that will be 500' from the headend equipment. so my idea was to add poe switch(s) . but everything i have read so far says i must connect the poe switch to the LAN port on the nvr but this port will be used to connect the nvr to the building network. can one of the poe ports be used to connect a switch ? if not , any other way to accomplish this? my next idea was to add another nvr but i cannot as the building network admin will only allow one ip address.

any input will be greatly appreciated.

I have been tasked with designing and installing a system for a client whom i have done a dozen or so systems for and who will likely buy as many more if i can make this work with the unique challenges this project provides.

This system will have 16 4mp Dahua dome cameras with vari-focal motorized lenses. one Dahua 16 channel poe nvr.

the issues are ; the customers network is lan only and they will allow no access outside the building in addition they will only allow me to connect 1 nvr to the network and issue only 1 ip address for local access by building staff. there are a number of cams that will be 500' from the headend equipment. so my idea was to add poe switch(s) . but everything i have read so far says i must connect the poe switch to the LAN port on the nvr but this port will be used to connect the nvr to the building network. can one of the poe ports be used to connect a switch ? if not , any other way to accomplish this? my next idea was to add another nvr but i cannot as the building network admin will only allow one ip address.

any input will be greatly appreciated.

you are a danger...clueless...same with that network admin...

ouch ! seems a bit harsh. i am a danger ? because i am researching a potential problem before i sell / install a system?

Clueless? Quite possibly, but that is kinda why i am asking questions.

I guess i should have been a little more specific when i said any input would be appreciated....

if someone else would like to help a guy out , i would appreciate any info on my issue.

First thing is get a NVR with two ethernet ports one to connect to the lan and one to connect to your cameras

use POE switches and do not worry about on board POE for this project. your cameras will be on their own network for instance use 10.1.5.7 for a camera and use whatever IP address the IT person gives you for the lan this lets the NVR act like a router and keeps camera traffic off the LAn. You will have to figure out you camera network to place your POE switches so you manitanin the proper distance for POE and ethernet.

Thats kina what i was thinking with using one of the poe ports , i didnt realize they made nvrs with two seperate ethernet ports in addition to poe ports.

Placing the poe switches shouldn't be an issue as the facility has plenty of locations where i could install switches.

I will continue to do some research . I appreciate the ideas .thanks

It will be better to find a NVR with just the two ethernet ports and no POE. We installed one last summer that was 32 cameras and we ended up with 3 or 4 POE switches in different locations. IF you are not tied to the POE on your NVR you are much more flexible as far as location is concerned. I think HIkvision makes a 32 channel with with 2 ethernet ports and no POE. A quick serarch should find any number or reasonably priced poe switches.