moraderan

180 Degree Sky Camera system View?

Hi all.

I am not sure if this is the right Forum to find the help I need, I am a bit lost here…

I am looking for a camera which its only purpose is to look at the sky 24/7 (180 degree) detecting flocks of birds with triggers via Blue Iris (We have a fish farm), we need to detect the flock 1-3 KM away as show in the picture attached.

We are not sure which camera to choose in terms of:

• Does a 24/7 direct sunlight can harm the camera? Are there any Protective measures I can take to prevent such damage without harming the picture quality? (UV screen maybe?)

• Since the flock may be 1-3 KM away – I am not sure IR will help me here but I think a Starlight technology is the right tech for us (Low Lux), not sure though… I just started learning CCTV technology today.

• Is there and side effect/potential short/long term damage to a camera that pointed on sky in term of mechanical parts?

Can I please get recommendations for the most suitable model for me? I already have DAHUA cameras for my home security and I am satisfied so I guess if possible I’ll stick with that brand although it is not mandatory.

Thanks in advance…

Eran.

531a4092.thumb.jpg.6005e8dc5f6e3cd0ebd6fba23008aa2c.jpg

531a4099.jpg.e062c21282af0159398d69f7c467a6cc.jpg

Hi. Good idea to stick with the same brand.

Day and night is going to be your obstacle...... IR or starlight I don't think is going to help you.

Dahua teamed up with flir a few years ago. Flir are the leaders in thermal cameras and distance cameras.

Last year dahua put together a hybrid thermal PTZ. They also do fixed cameras but you are not looking at birds from same direction every time.

Your project is not going to be cheap and you need to spend on a solution that will work.

I would look at contacting flir and dahua and send your requirements to the tech departments.

Hi,

Thanks for replying.

I understand what you suggest but I cannot afford such advanced tech, I want to stick with the low cost cameras under 250$ even if that means that I’ll have to accept the fact that I’ll be blind during the night as 80% of the Pelicans comes during the day, Can you please suggest a solution for low cost camera in terms of properties/installation/Model?

Thanks,

Eran

Hi. 180 degree rang of 1 to 3 km for under $250 can't happen

What happends once you see the birds ??

Have you thought of something like this

Battery operated shot gun sounder with sensors and pre programmed sounder.

Full battery operated.

image.thumb.jpeg.9546662f8f9919f4e46acb8e2132af70.jpeg

Hi.

Thanks again for your reply.

We have many advanced solutions against birds such as propene gas cannons, 4x4 humanized truck patrols with fireworks and shot guns, heavy duty lasers and other solutions.

Bottom line – a hungry bird will eat despite everything we do, however - the key to improve any deterrence success rate is the response time.

Currently I am able to point my cell phone camera to the sky and see a flock of birds from a 4KM distance so why 250$ camera cant?

Please note, we only need to see if there is a flock coming and the direction on which they are heading as shown on my previous attachment… I don’t need to track it, activate facial recognition software on their faces or detect the color of their feather  few dots in the sky is enogh to cause us to get up fast, enter the vehicles and start chasing them.

Thanks,

Eran

Hi tomcctv,

Sorry but I accidently posted a reply to an agent on a different forum, no luck yet I am afraid.

Actually the Camera you referred me to is awesome but out of budget since we will need 8 of these...

I was thinking to get a PTZ with Presets for auto scanning - spread on few locations around the farm, I may get the Panoramic Camera benefits with PTZ that way.

My concern is direct sunlight, mechanical issues with upside down installation and a reliable PTZ motor to scan the sky 24/7.

What do you think?

Thanks,

Eran

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

We tried everything there is out there, Dogs are irrelevant for 70 Acre fish ponds and there are other problems with dogs that lead us to conclude that it’s not effective.

Bottom line – we are looking for improving our response time so we need a camera to detect the flock as I showed on my first message above, 8 PTZ that keep scanning the surface will do the job (I believe) but I am not sure which model and what properties to look for.

Thanks,

Eran