papetk

Design help for Noob with 450' detached building

Hi everyone, first legit post (aside from the welcome one). I just finished building a detached "shop" for my woodworking and auto restoration hobbies. The building is ~450' away from my house (as the conduit runs) and I am running 1.5" conduit for the non-electrical needs. I would like to design an 8-channel surveillance system (open to 16, but only see the need for 8 cameras now). I do not have good internet where I live so external connectivity is not important.

I want to design a system where I can have 3 cameras down by the new building and 5 up by the house. I would like to be able to view them all on a home network with the DVR or NAS in the house. My main question is the right cable to put in the conduit now. I understand I am beyond the distance for POE using CAT6. Since the cable run from the house to the building will be a home run without any stops, am I stuck using RG6, or with a balun or POE extender, can I (or should I) still use Cat6? I want to put the right cable in the conduit from the start so I am not limited down the road. I am looking at 4mp cameras, most likely bullet.

I am sure I left many details out, but please let me know any questions as I came here to learn from the experts.

Thank you in advance!

-Tim

you can buy extenders to allow for poe at a longer distance than 300 ft. check online. you can also get a conversion from coax to ethernet and I think that allows up to 1000 ft . it will generally be cheaper to get the signal that distance rather than POE so a cheap switch in the far building may be a good solution. anything you put in the underground should be outdoor an or direct bury rated. conduits in the ground will get moisture over time.

you can buy extenders to allow for poe at a longer distance than 300 ft. check online. you can also get a conversion from coax to ethernet and I think that allows up to 1000 ft . it will generally be cheaper to get the signal that distance rather than POE so a cheap switch in the far building may be a good solution. anything you put in the underground should be outdoor an or direct bury rated. conduits in the ground will get moisture over time. PI has a ethernet over coax up to 1200 meters for 90.00.

Thank you for the reply! So it sounds like a non-POE CAT6 is the way to go? This would mean just providing power at the camera (in the detached building, right?). What is PI?

Lets go back to basics ( & maybe start an arguement)

Firstly have a think about what IP actually is. IP is a signal transportation technique. It is not some magic camera technology. Is there any benefits of using IP in your installation? Not that I can see. Any negatives ? Well distance & power for a start.

Price

cable integrity

Yes there are all sorts of adaptors /extenders you can get but these are always compromises.

Now lets look at HD analogue.

your looking at 4Mp - no problem - HD analogue currently going up to 8Mp

runs on coax up to 500m with data control. Coax is robust & virtually bulletproof.

you will have the same power problems as IP so if camera end power is available all the better. If not then get 24V ac cameras.

All dvrs are networkable if that is an issue

will run on UTP cable if required by using low cost baluns

Any disadvantages in using HD analogue?

The only one I can see is this often talked about "futureproofing" but given the pace of technology this is just garbage as far as the equipment is concerned. Whatever you put in will be redundant in a couple of years. If it is the cable that is the issue you have the following options - run UTP & use baluns with HD analogue, run coax AND UTP then use whatever you want.

If you want a trouble free and easily maintained system I would use CVI HD analogue running on RG59.9 coax and use 24Vac cameras. I would run an extra UTP cable for whatever it might be needed for later and DO NOT USE RG6

just my thoughts----