EZFrag

Need Help Building Security System

Hi, I live out in the woods. The street my inlaws live on have had recent armed home invasions. I would like to install a security system for them to give them some piece of mind. I have been combing over this forum and the information is massive and my knowledge limited. Through my reading, I have learned that a NVR is better and more cost effective than using a computer. That being said, which brand of NVR would offer the most value? I think it would be more cost effective to buy the NVR and with a couple of good cameras, then add cameras as my budget allows. Max cameras I would need is 8.

So...which brand would be the most cost effective. That performs well. Provides, possibly, a free cloud service. And provides good mobile apps? What would you buy? Then I guess I would integrate their cameras in with it. Right?

Personally, I would start with reviewing external lighting, concealment locations around the property, door hardening, and an alarm system before going the camera route. Unless you have a high budget for analytics & intrusion detection capabilities, cameras are an after the fact forensic tool. From my experience, most bad actors walk right past them and they offer little in terms of deterrence. An alarm system and hardened doors however offer much more in terms of deterrence. I'd rather prevent than try to figure out who was responsible after the fact. Having all of the above is best, but if you're starting from scratch, cameras would be a few steps down the list on priority.

But since you asked, Hikvision is my preferred go to for residential. Good quality at good price point. Keep the NVR and cameras from the same manufacturer to limit issues.